La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Listened to most of the CDs on a long trip today. I think my favorite is the fourth CD plus the music from "The Visitor" (LOVE it). I must say though, it is strange to hear any version of the end credits without the Paramount fanfare tag! I just end up singing it in my head anyway -- or worse -- out loud!

2. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree, I like the 4th CD best. As it features more complete scores, it has a really nice flow. It's also the most thematic with lots of good uses of the DS9 theme and the original Star Trek theme. McCarthy's ability to blend the TOS theme and "The Way You Look Tonight" into the DS9 theme is pretty impressive. I really enjoy that montage cue from "What You Leave Behind." I think it may be up there with the all time great Trek music cues. I initially found the saxophone a bit jarring, but after a few listens, I enjoy it and wish it hasn't been dialed out of the final mix.

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the final montage cue IS good, but I have to admit that I'm disapointed that the TV version was not included in the set. I REALLY liked that. What we got on the CD wasn't bad, but the TV version is preferred.

At least for me.

4. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

Just wanted to see if anyone who ordered the CDs from Canada have got them yet? I checked my status last week and as of last Tuesday it says arrived in Canada at customs for processing. Just wanted to see.

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, after watching so much Trek on Blu-ray lately, I had gotten used to the CBS tag at the end, so when I got bored recently broke out my DS9 and VOY DVD's to watch a few random episodes, it was initially a little jarring hearing the Paramount tag again. :D

6. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

the status seems stuck on will dispatch in 2-3 days for ten days now...

EDIT - I actually got it this morning, haha.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The TV version has been available (and, for YEARS at that) over at TrekCore and on other fan sites.

Why would La-La Land waste valuable disc space on something that's been around for free for years?

8. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I have to say I love those cues on the set, they are beautifully written and performed

9. Muldfeld

Muldfeld Ensign Red Shirt

I got my copy on Monday and I live in a major Canadian city. I hope you get yours soon.

10. Section 31 1/2

Section 31 1/2 Ensign Red Shirt

I got mine today and I live in St Catharines just outside Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Spent some time with it. I enjoy it far more than the TNG set that's for sure.

The McCarthy disc is solid. I must say I was also quite surprised to hear the electric guitar on "Charge" from Shattered Mirror. More evidence of interesting music getting mixed down or completely out in the final episode edits.

On Disc two I very much dig the latter portion of the disc with Call to Arms being one of the highlights of the entire 4 disc set. Everything from Call to Arms on is solid. The By Inferno's Light and Broken Link cues are curious as to why they were included.

Disc 3 is all over the map. David Bell's music worked great with the show but on this disc it really highlights how repetitive of a composer he was. While Paul Baillargeon seems to have the opposite effect with me. I absolutely could not stand his music with the episodes and felt often times they ruined certain scenes but for some reason I really dig all of his tracks by themselves. Also, Greg Smith's Field of Fire and The Assignment are both standouts.

On Disc 4 I really dig Our Man Bashir and What You Leave Behind quite a bit. I can take or leave Trials and Tribble-ations."

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. Maybe because I didn't know it was there?

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Because that file is nothing but a straight rip right from the DVD. I don't think it's out of line to wish we could have had the cue on the CD properly.

[That said, I am super happy with what we did get. :) ]

13. Phily B

I really like it :)

It was a pain to rip and rename all the tracks though..

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Having the "What You Leave Behind" theme (DVD rip or not) available for so long is probably what led to the decision to not include it on the set. The other version was something most of us hadn't heard before. Or, it could be Dennis McCarthy himself wanted the version on the album for his own reasons. Who knows? The mere point I was trying to make was that if you really want the as aired version, it's out there.

15. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Honestly I think that this version on the album is really good and I am glad that they gave it to us.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. There are four versions of the DS9 main titles on the new CD release, and at least three of them have been available for years on official CDs. It's surely a decision to present the cue as composed rather than the altered version used in the final edit.

I don't personally have a problem with the omission/decision, I just don't think that someone who wishes it was on there is wrong to do so. :)

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which, in my experience, is the normal practice for soundtrack albums. The whole point of them is to present the music in its pure form, in a way it couldn't be heard in the final film or episode. Using a version that's different from what's in the show isn't making a mistake, it's revealing something new.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not that anyone said it was a mistake, of course. :)

19. Phily B

RT

20. Muldfeld

Muldfeld Ensign Red Shirt