The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

All Spock has is the Jellyfish. How do you know he can even defeat Nero head to head? How do you know that the timeline might not get screwed up even more?

Anyway, your time travel argument is moot because that idea can be applied to ANY instance in Trek when a disaster happens. Why not just go back in time and fix it?

The fact that you are using that point to try and rip this film, but choose to ignore all the other times in Trek that the time travel plot device can be used completely destroys your argument.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem involved time travel. Logic dictates that time travel be used to resolve it.

3. Captain Robert April

As I stated above, I haven't voted yet.

Do pay attention, 007.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeff Bond's review of the movie is up now at www.trekmovie.com. One remark of his in particular captures much of what is true, and different, about this Trek movie:

5. Cheebo

Cheebo Captain Captain

You have no idea what you are talking about. soon as he is accidently thrown back in time nero attacks him (Nero knew where and when he'd end up and waited for him) and takes his ship and leaves him to die on Delta Vega.

6. Captain Robert April

He gets free eventually, right?

What's to keep him from fixing everything afterward? It's time travel, and he's still got about a hundred good years in him. He's certainly shown the ability to hijack a ship if he can't come by one honestly.

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Well atleast I can see you have no rebuttal to my earlier statement. Way to beat around the bush without providing and argument, cause you can't. Good job.

8. Captain Robert April

The rules regarding the use of time travel aren't all that hard. Just because something happens doesn't justify the use of time travel to fix it. However, if an incident happens due to some sort of temporal interference, then it is justfied to use time travel to resolve the situation.

Nero time travelled, intentionally or not, and caused all kinds of havoc. Spock is more than justfied in using time travel to prevent that situation from happening. Written properly, Spock would know that, and would immediately begin his calculations for the proper time jumps.

9. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Does the grading and discussion thread really have to turn into this? Really?

I'll be pissed if this just turns into some bullshit flame war and canon fight, again, and it has to get closed like all the other times this happens.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Captain April, you have said, for months now, that you don't intend to see the movie. You say more than once in this thread that you have not seen the movie yet. How is it that someone who hasn't seen the movie and isn't voting has nearly one-quarter of the posts in this thread? Let's look:
    Baiting.

Spam.

More spam?

Spam or baiting?

Trolling.

The bulk of your remaining posts thus far seem primarily occupied with talking about some fantasy story of yours which is not the topic of this thread. The topic is, in fact, the movie which you admit haven't seen. The rest of your posts are simply empty spam.

So why are you here? Looks like trolling and disrupting the thread with off-topic nonsense, mostly -- a favorite old trick of yours. So warned.

11. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Thank God. I was afraid this thread was D.O.A. with a flame war. For Christ's sake...

12. Captain Robert April

All I'm doing is answering questions. I suggest the same officiating eyes be directed at the other side.

13. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't seen it yet... less than 48 hours ;)....
    But I know what he means, I am looking forward to watching a Trek movie that i have always wanted to see in terms of scope and thrill.

14. urbandk

Let's talk about the movie for a change. For me, the Kelvin sequence was perfectly executed. In many respects, it made the whole film hang together. I think someone said it gave him goosebumps. It did for me.

The Kelvin really was the prequel element. Divergent timelines and all make the rest of the film a new direction and departure more than a prequel. I know there's a cult of Robau, but honestly, I'm curious about the Kelvin and its crew. I hope someone explores this ship and its background more thoroughly, either in novels or in a TV series (I can dream).

15. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I do agree with you on your points and I do believe that some of your arguments agianst this movie is justified, however I can say that this bieng an alternate timeline, even if Spock did travel through time to fix things he wouldn't be able to because he would be fixing the wrong timeline, one in which the TNG era is probably different and Romulus may not explode. If he goes back to before Nero destroy's the Kelvin then the timeline is maintained and Romulus still explodes, so what is acomplished, but an endless loop. I can't say this enough, all they would have had to do is an origin story in the current timeline and placed it before Kirk is Captian. I will still see the movie and I think it's going to be good , but I do wish they would have took a different aproach. Personally I would like to see a movie or tv. series based on Pike as Captian and lock in Greenwood, he's an awsome actor.

16. Captain Robert April

The only time an upcoming Star Trek project ever gave me a chill of anticipation up my spine was when TNG was announced, because it meant that, at long last, with Star Trek returning to television, we'd finally won.

Another movie coming out is just fighting the same old battle again for territory we already won twenty years ago. I don't care how spectacular it is, what's the point?

17. Captain Robert April

Not gonna happen, for the simple fact that the rights to Star Trek were divided a while back between Paramount Studios and CBS/Paramount. The movies are the movies, the tv shows are the tv shows, and never the twain shall meet e'er again, which is what I think is the root cause of this reboot in the first place, so that the movie side of the house could have their own Star Trek to play around with.

18. urbandk

I think for many younger trek fans, this new film is something we feel connected to culturally and emotionally. Pine and I are the same age. I grew up watching TNG every Sunday night from the first season on, but I just took Trek on TV for granted for a long time. I think with Enterprise's end, I was sad and saw no future for Trek, but, at least for me, this new film is a reason to be excited and involved with Trek again.

19. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

well i'm not going to bash you for having a different opinion and I hope that there is another tv. series to follow,but unfortunately this movie is going to make it hard to do a series without it looking cheap. It looks like Star Trek will take the same fate as Terminator, Alien,Batman, Superman and Predetor, every few years someone will get an idea and some up and coming director will take it on and add thier little touch to it. You either end up with a shitty version like Terminator 3 or a good version like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, we will see .Looks to me we got something in between.

20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Your probably right, that and poor writing and decision making on the part of Brannon and Braga