Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by sbk1234, Dec 22, 2012.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My head hurts.

2. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How far have you got? Bear in mind that in his first couple of episodes he's partially channeling Tennant; there was a deliberate attempt to transition the Doctor into his new persona, which has been done to greater or lesser degrees over the years.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

^He keeps changing all the time really. Series 6 and Series 7 versions of 11 are so different. Series 5 maybe best acted especially The Beast Below. He was less fixed then.

4. sbk1234

My most recent episode was Amy's Choice. It's not that I think he's bad. It's just that in my mind, Tennant was perfect.

5. Iamnotspock

Welcome to the world of Who. :) Hopefully you'll grow to really like him.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was the same way three years ago. Smith eventually grew on me, and I'm sure he'll grow on you too.

7. sbk1234

Another observation which is quite obvious, but I think should be mentioned is that Amy Pond really has nice legs.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Comic relief special Space/Time comes to mind about the dangerous mix of her legs, no panties and a transparent floor.

But that's true of anyone really.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You mean the ever popular which version is/was the best?

10. sbk1234

Sure enough, I have just started season 6 and he HAS grown on me. By the way, are there any other seasons that haven't made it to Netflix, yet?

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don't know why that keeps coming up. Clearly the Sixth Doctor is the best.

;)

12. sbk1234

I guess my next step is Classic WHo. Then I'll be able to see how #6 measures up.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Series 6 is the last complete Series of 13 episodes. Then there was a Christmas Special 2011 The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe. In 2012 was the beginning 5 episodes of Series 7, and then a Christmas Special 2012 The Snowmen.

And that's what we're up to, in late March we continue with the other 8 episodes of Series 7

14. sbk1234

I've got to figure out how to see those other Dr. Who productions that aren't on Netflix.

I think I need The Doctor!

15. Sindatur

If you have Cable and BBCA, you can check your On Demand menu, or BBCA will likely have a Marathon in the Morning/Afternoon of The First airing of the first new episode (March 30?). The Christmas Special from 2011 The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe is pretty much standalone, and can be skipped if need be, but, 2012 Christmas Special The Snowmen is part of an ongoing arc, so should be watched after the first 5 episodes of S7 that aired in the Fall of 2012, prior to watching the Spring 2013 last 8 episodes of S7.

16. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And to point out something slightly obvious, if you're looking for an easy start on the original run, BBC America is running one story per Doctor each month this year, as detailed in another thread here. http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200980
    Next up is Tomb of the Cybermen, an interesting story for two reasons: until 1992 it was missing, and was something of a holy grail for missing episode hunters; and more recently, Matt Smith watched it between getting the role and starting recording, loved it, and by all accounts let it have a major influence on his performance (and certainly his costume)...

17. sbk1234

While I'm here, I have another question that I don't know if has ever been adressed. I know the show has been on for 50 years. However, has it been established how long each incarnation of the Doctor has survived? If it's been real time, then the first Doctor would have lasted nearly 900 years, but the other 11 would have each lasted a fraction of 50 years each, which really isn't all that long. Of course, with all that pesky time travel, is there any way of knowing how long each particular Doctor lasted before regenerating?

18. Sindatur

NuWho has been pretty consistent with his aging. Classic Who was all over the map, with the Doctor Quoting himself as 900 something and then a Regeneration or two later claiming himself to be 700 something.

So, no, it's not really nailed down, especially if taken from the entire 50 year history of the show.

The First Doctor's body wore out from age, so, it's a good bet he lived a pretty long life before we saw him onscreen. The Second Doctor was force Regenerated, and the rest have all Regenerated from a Mortal Peril. Anytime you see The Doctor take off in his TARDIS alone, even if he returns a second later, it's possible he could've been out there having adventures for 100s of years in that 1 second of show time, but, if we always see a Doctor get into the TARDIS and travel with a Human Companion, we can assume how much time has passed

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  19. Iamnotspock

Everything you need to know on that subject is here. :)

20. sbk1234

Now I'm sad. I just finished all of the Dr. Who on Netflix, which goes to series 6. This, isn't counting the Classic Dr. Who, but it isn't the same.
    Anybody know when new seasons will be showing up on Netflix?