Khan's Into Darkness Appearance change finally explained

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BlueMetroid, Feb 27, 2014.

1. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Guys, could it be possible to limit the amount of text in the spoiler tag to less than that of a novella ? It's messing up the formatting. Thanks.

3. BigJake

^ I would've loved to do an edit when I saw that, but for some reason it won't allow me to Edit that post. Sorry 'bout that.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I found that opening the second spoiler (of the three in Jake's post) and then closing it again fixed the problem for me, but that may only work in Opera.

I've tried taking some of the spoiler tag content and placing it inside. See if it works.

5. BigJake

Huh. Still won't let me edit, oddly enough. Sure looks better though, thanks M'Sharak.

6. M'Sharak

I think the edit window closes after 24 hours, or some comparable period, but I can apply Special Mod Powers™ when necessary.

:techman:

7. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I should rephrase - race is just as relevant as anyone wants it to be. I'm the white guy that speaks Spanish at work because most of my coworkers are Hispanic, instead of being upset that they live in America and can't speak English.

You should visit my planet sometime, it's a wonderful place :)

8. BigJake

^ Yes, I've heard the Spanish-speaking world went post-racial around the days of "I Love Lucy." Truly magical when you think about it.

9. M'Sharak

10. BigJake

Now that's an episode tie-in! Nice.

11. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

As I tried to say, you can see racial-ism in every corner of the galaxy if you really want to. Or you can try to live in a way that defies it. Hopefully, if we say "F- You" to it enough times, it will just go away.

12. BigJake

Along these lines, did you know that Martin Luther King's true message was that "if you ignore racism hard enough, it will just go away"?

Historical scholars of the Freedom Patriot Federation Foundation recently discovered that his final words just after he was shot were "Tell the NAACP that all my marches and boycotts were just harmless pranks... and tell my family to vote Republican." The NAACP's craven, self-serving betrayal of this brave, altruistic final message is known to historians today as The Great Uppityfying. True fax.

You won't believe what they found out about Gandhi, W.E.B. DuBois and Malcolm X. Or the recording they found of Norman Bethune telling a patient "that growth on your left testicle is probably nothing, bro, just live your life."

13. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I suppose we both agree that racism is shitty...we just have different philosophies about how to deal with it. No biggie!

14. BigJake

^ Cheerio! You ever need me to hook you up with a rare recording of Steven Biko's career-defining speech about apartheid*, just let me know.

(* Most commonly known by the title "Apartheid is a downer, guys, let's talk about rainbows." It's really crazy how many of history's great crusaders for not-mentioning-justice have been misinterpreted over the years.)

15. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

That's funny that you're linking me to things I clearly want to ignore, and I want to ignore them because you're linking me to them. Hilarious.

The reason you won't find many dissenting opinions spelled out on the internet is because the point of the opinion is to not give a fuck, and just treat other people correctly by example.

16. BigJake

And of course, avoid talking about any kind of injustice or ways you might want to rectify it or organize to rectify it. Totally. That was actually the secret core teaching of Gandhi, another little-known fact that liberals and lefties have tried to obscure for generations. What a world, hey?

17. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I learned nothing from the long-winded conversation between you and Ovation and the numerous linked references. You can't reference enough things in this lifetime to make someone believe something that they didn't believe before you started talking to them. But I'm glad y'all hashed it out. It's a phase we all gotta go through on 'sensitive' stuff.

18. BigJake

I sincerely believe you.

Perhaps one day we'll be evolved enough to just wander into a thread and spam it with cheap "insights" effectively cribbed from Hallmark cards and Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey. I'm sure that's a process that takes multiple lifetimes, but one can dream.

19. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

And I am sincerely sorry that racial issues still affect you so deeply and personally after SOME parts of humanity have made an effort to make it a non-issue, as it should be. Apparently, you are surrounded by assholes. I guess I'm just not. The odd serious racist I encounter around here is a rarity. And most of them are dying of old age every day.

20. BigJake

Gosh, what an ingrate I am to not recognize your wondrous heroism in demanding that I pretend racism not exist because you condescend to speak Spanish at your workplace. I'm sorry it affects you so deeply and personally that I failed to reward your shallow, ignorant bromides with the respect you mistakenly imagine they deserve.

Perhaps to avoid such experiences in future, you might try learning something from long-winded conversations filled with many linked references. I know you've passed out of the childish "phase" of learning stuff, but you know... just for nostalgia's sake. It's up to you.