So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

After a long break from Trek lit I just started "The Shocks of Adversity."

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

^ I'm starting that one next. Right now I just finished up the Double Helix novel Quarantine. I have to say that this series is starting to lose my interest. I'm in the middle of Rihannsu Book 3 Swordhunt. I am enjoying Duane's Romulan saga.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Sphere by Micheal Crichton.Very interesting scifi novel about a mysterious spaceship.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally started to read Greg Cox's The Bestseller Job this week. Bought it on release day, but hadn't come around to read it until now.

5. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

In my opinion, Sphere is a staple of sci-fi literature. It was one of the novels that hooked me on the genre, for sure. I hope you enjoy it!

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hope you like it!

7. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was just wondering if there is a book reading checklist to record completion and maybe date completed for Star Trek novels. I made a crude Excel version but do not have many of the later books that are on the flowchart. I completed reading "Vulcan's Glory" (ST-TOS #44) by D. C. Fontana (1989) and am back to reading "The Philosopher's Stone" by Colin Wilson.

With a bit more research, I see that Colin Wilson also wrote "Space Vampires" with alternate title "Lifeforce" that was made into a movie. Also noted that Dr. Armstrong in this movie is played by Patrick Stewart. It has the continuing theme of the previous two books. Generally the movie does not get great ratings.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished book 7 of the Cadfael Chronicles The Sanctuary Sparrow, then I read the third of the "A Time To..." series, A Time To Sow.
    I definitely found this book more engaging than the first two in the series, so I'll be cracking on with A Time To Harvest tomorrow.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you just looking for somewhere to record what books you read when, or just something with a list of all of the Trek books that have been published?
    If it's the former, there are a couple of sites that allow you to record what books you read, when you bought them, ect. A alot of people use Goodreads, but I use a similar site called, Shelfari.
    If you are looking for the latter, then one of the Trek Wikis, either the canon wiki, Memory Alpha, or the non-canon wiki, Memory Beta, are probably you're best bet. They do separate the books by series, but I'm pretty sure both have pretty much every Trek book that's been published, and all of the ones that have been officially announced.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, I like the movie better than the book. The movie is entertaining; the book is just tedious. Or so I recall.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The movie has Mathilda May. Game, set, match. (Aside from that, though, it's a pretty dumb movie.)

12. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

The other day I finished Star Trek: The Fall: Peaceable Kingdoms by Dayton Ward.

I'm now reading the second novel of The Change, The Protector's War, by S.M. Stirling.

13. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just finished re-reading Vendetta by Peter David. I've recently decided to return to Trek lit after a long time away and thought this would be a good warmup before launching into the relaunch series and working my way towards Destiny. Next up is A Time To Kill by David Mack, followed obviously by A Time To Heal.

Although I enjoyed Vendetta, it wasn't nearly as good as I remember. But over two decades have passed since my first read and a lot has changed since then...

14. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading Cress, Book 2 in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Stone Cold by David Baldacci.

--Sran

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read To Sail a Darkling Sea by John Ringo.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Zero Sum Game this morning. Loved it and loved learning about the Breen. Hate the fact that we still don't have the DS9 time-jump backstory.

Started Seize the Fire. I hope it's not as bad as everyone says. Cuz if it is, it's loooooong and bad. :eek:

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading 2 books Star wars Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn and The cat who read Shakespeare by Lillian Braun.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Still on A Dance With Dragons, which raises a question.

The author uses a lot of archaic terms for armour, clothing, ship types etc., so obviously knows his subject, but there are a handful of terms he uses that seem out of place and jar with me when they occur. Can anyone advise me if they are in common use in the U.S. ?

Coz (cousin - I know it's in Shakespeare, but I can't recall hearing it used over here).
    Bulled (as in pushed or forced).
    Soldier Pines (trees)

20. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Martin does all the meticulous over-analysis for you, so don't worry about it and focus on the story. Until it becomes incredibly boring.