Dear Movie Studios, Marketers and DVD Manufacturers;

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by T'Baio, Dec 16, 2008.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

When I looked up new released a few years ago they were almost always $15 the first week, some even $13.

Now-a-days there isn't a single major new release that is $15, and most are at $17-$18. My data comes from my eyes, and common sense about numbers.

2. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I'll go against the grain a little here. As a not very literate computer user who certainly doesn't know anything about DVD ripping (technically and legally), and as an Ipod Touch owner, I like the idea of having a digital copy that I can legally and (hopefully easily) put on my Ipod. I'm not sure if any DVDs that I own have this or not.

Come to think of it though, I don't buy DVDs anymore, I pretty much buy Blu-rays which aren't going to play in my laptop anyway. Presumably I can transfer a copy of the digital copy out of my PS3?

EDIT TO ADD: Well duh, I guess that was a stupid question. I remember someone upthread saying it wasn't really on the disc, it was a code that you use in Itunes to download it. In my case, that would be sweet.

3. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I'm a fan of digital copies and I don't think they are charging more for them. Anything that brings us closer to all downloaded/digital copies of movies is fine by me.

4. Count me as someone who's also a fan of digital copies. I bought The Dark Knight about 3 days before I had to spend 16 hours on a plane (not to mention about 5 hours in airport layovers).

Including access to a copy of Dark Knight for my iPod Touch was a great great move. Franklly i have neither the desire nor the time to spend hours decrypting a dvd and converting it.

5. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't imagine wanting to watch a movie on that small a screen, even on a long airplane ride. The laptop is the smallest I would go, and those typically have DVD-ROM drives now.

6. gh4chiefs

It's actually not bad at all. I recently rented a couple of movies from Itunes for a plane ride to Florida. They were movies that I probably woudn't have rented otherwise, so the plane ride give me an excuse to check them out. The Touch screen is small, but not unreasonably tiny and I really didn't have an issue with the screen at all.

Now the sound, that was a different issue. Can't stress the need for noise cancelling headphones on a jet enough.

7. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Locking tabs are only meant as a security measure before purchase. That's why you tear them off after you buy the movie.

8. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

I hate to sound like an old fogey, but digital is a scam. You are giving up more rights than you're gaining in picture resolution.

9. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't like studios including digital copies of a movie with the DVD, if I want a digital copy I'll make my own from the DVD without any of the DRM their digital copies have.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

... Rights?

:wtf:

11. Ward Fowler

Yes. You have more consumer rights with analog than you do with digital. It's been an issue for quite a few years. Feel free to look it up.

12. Trekker4747

Guess I don't care. I think I know what you're talking about but at the same time I think the idea of "consumer rights" is silly considering the owners of the property on the media has more rights to protect it and if people weren't so keen on stealing and distributing other people's property and work we wouldn't need all of these restrictions.

I can buy a DVD and play it in my player. All that matters to me.

13. Ward Fowler

Respectfully, it's not always about thievery. The MPAA fought against the VCR in the '70s saying that it would ruin their business model and cause rampant piracy. It went all the way to the supreme court. Fortunately it was found that consumers do have the right to record media from both tv and radio, and it ended up being a huge boon for the studios that the MPAA was representing because it started the home video market. Not everyone is out to steal. I'd just like for it to be legal (and not prohibited by DRM) for me to move media files between all of my computers and ipod.

14. Trekker4747

And I understand that need and want, but the pirates ruined it for everyone. The makers of a property also have a right to protect it. I think there's some extremes in it and some leeway should be given on transfering it between computers/devices, no limits on how many times it can be copied/transfered, etc. but at the end of the day people want to steal. All the studios are trying to do is protect their investment(s) and make sure they get properly compensated for their work.

15. Ward Fowler

There will always be pirates. If you can watch it or listen to it, you can record it.. I think the movie and music companies need to adjust their business model just like they did 30 years ago, because they aren't going to be able to stand in the way of technology.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

What's funny is that at my local video store they've had to stop renting DVD's because people are renting them the first day and then use the code to download the film. One of the cashier's told me they have actually had phone calls from the distributors about too many people downloading the film with the pass codes.

17. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why are video stores including the digital copy disc with the rental? There's no good reason to do so.

18. Trekker4747

The second disc may have special features on it.

So begs the question why they include the passcode card or why the DVD makers aren't making each DVD have a different passcode that can only be used once.

19. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Who needs a digital copy of a movie you have on disc anyway?

20. gh4chiefs

Because apparently I can't legally rip a copy of a DVD that I bought to my Ipod. So if I want to follow the law, or if I'm don't have the software/technical know how, then I can have a copy for my portable use.