Life 2x02- "Everything... All the Time"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PsychoPere, Oct 4, 2008.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The second episode of Life season two aired Friday night. I didn't see another thread about it yet, so I figured I'd go ahead and start one.

I haven't yet had an opportunity to watch the episode because I was at work when it aired, but I hope to watch it tonight after work.

Until then, I leave you with the following, the Four Vows of Zen:

2. Dude

Dude Vice Admiral Premium Member

The episode was pretty good, but too many coincidences. Did they change writers? They don't seem to have Crews quite down yet this season.

3. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Wikipedia entry isn't that detailed... what's going on with the girl and the "conspiracy"? As someone who just started this year, it's not really clear what it's all about.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Well...crude. I completely forgot about this last night. :lol: :o

5. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

I liked the ep, but I wish they would have dragged this one out for 2. The svengali leader was fascinating. I wasn't quite certain why they were all following his lead, but they could have delayed his capture through another show.

Donal Logue (or whatever) continues to grate, but I did lol when he asked about planting evidence. It was unexpected and funny, but his stick is already wearing thin.

Jack Reese is back! Yay! I was worried they would drop the conspiracy. I must admit for a minute there I worried Ted would turn on Crews, but he didn't.

I really and truly dislike the ex-wife. She can't act, and the forced UST gets in the way. Move on, Charlie! Move on!

And much love for Dani! Love her. Love her relationship with Charlie. They work well together.

6. PsychoPere

I thought the episode was okay, but it felt a bit "off." Not quite the Life I remember from last season, but I'm still enjoying it. I'm very tired of Tidwell already, though he's definitely shown he's dirty to some degree based on the "planting evidence" suggestion.

The following will be an overview with little reference to character interactions, such as Crews' relationship with his attorney, interaction with his ex-wife's husband and his former partner.

The conspiracy began with a robbery at the Bank of Los Angeles. Jack Reese, father of Dani Reese, was a SWAT team leader whose team "just happened" to be training nearby at the time of the robbery. SWAT moved in, took down the criminals -- and a substantial sum of money disappeared.

Naturally, Jack Reese needed someone to launder the money. That person turned out to be Police Officer Charlie Crews' business partner (co-owner of a bar), whose first name I can't remember right now. Over time, Jack found out that Seybolt was skimming money from him and hired a criminal named Kyle Hollis to murder Seybolt. Hollis killed Seybolt, his wife, and his son -- but missed his daughter, Rachel, who witnessed the murder.

Detective Charles Ames, an old friend of Jack Reese, led the investigation into the Seybolt murder. He covered up Rachel's presence at home at the time of the murder. Rachel went into foster care and Jack Reese arranged for her to be adopted by Kyle Hollis, living under a new name with a new life as a minister. Ames' investigation resulted in Crews being arrested and convicted for the Seybolt murder.

Crews served twelve years for the murder. He was approached by an attorney who managed to get the conviction overturned with new DNA evidence. He sued LA city and the LAPD, resulting in his reinstatement as a detective and a monetary settlement.

By the end of the first season, Crews had learned all of this but did not have hard evidence linking Jack Reese to the Seybolt murder beyond Hollis' confession. He found Hollis and arrested him, but Rachel was again taken by Jack Reese.

During the first season, the writing staff was composed of six producers. Half of them left for new shows.

7. witchie

I can't understand why Rachel is so important. She was a child. If she didn't remember Hollis as the murderer (granted, he shaved and cleaned himself up), she probably wouldn't remember Jack.

8. PsychoPere

For Reese, Rachel is leverage to use against Crews. For Crews, she's the daughter of his murdered best friend. Reese only cares about her insofar as using her against Charlie, whereas Crews' interest is his feeling of responsibility towards her. Rachel did used to call him "Uncle Charlie," after all.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Another great episode, but I agree with others that it's not quite 100% Life. That being said, it's still one of the best shows on television.

I wasn't worried for one second that Ted would turn Charlie. I generally can tell good people and Ted is good people.

I was surprised by the sudden interest from Charlie's ex-wife, but after reading witchie's post, I realize that my surprise is actually distrust. I don't like where that's going either.

Tidwell wasn't quite as bad as the last episode but that's probably because we just didn't see as much of him or seeing him leer over Dani. So he's corrupt? That doesn't surprise me one bit.

As for the actual murder case, not all that impressive (almost Law & Order-esque), but then I'm not here for the cases, but for Charlie Crews and Dani Reese. Best partnership ever.

10. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, it's interesting. I wonder how long they can take this meta-case. As long as it doesn't get stupid like Prison Break (it's actually the President trying to take over the country! Now it's a secret corporation!) and doesn't drag on, it could be pretty good.

11. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Charlie's ex worked best in her capacity as lost opportunity/regret for Charlie. I do NOT like them toying with putting the two of them back together. And they'd have to work pretty hard to make me accept that she was in on the conspiracy to frame Charlie.

I still LOATHE the new boss. Why does he have to look like he crawled out from under a mobile home in a trailer park? Can't they give him a shower, haircut, and shave? He's just plain disgusting.

I wanted the alpha dog to get away and return another day. I didn't find the actor all that compelling, but the idea of a young, rich kid with connections yanking the detectives around for a few episodes doesn't completely stink.

As for 2nd vs 1st season, the characters of Charlie & Dani seem mostly fine, but the overall tone has altered a bit. I'm sure part of that is the change in staff, but the detectives' relationship ought to change a bit anyway. I'm still enjoying the show so far, so we'll see how things go.

For the completely car ignorant among us (meaning me), what kind of car does Charlie have this week?

12. witchie

Nah, she wasn't in on the conspiracy. If she was, I'd be shocked senseless. She seems too freaking flighty to be honest.

I'm kinda offended for NY. Is he supposed to be the stereotypical NY cop? Not sure. He is annoying, though. Wish we had the old Lt back.

I agree.

Dani isn't quite as ascerbic as last season, but there is definitely a different tone. I don't know if that has to do with the fact that last year, there was a level of mistrust. Charlie didn't know what Dani knew, and Dani didn't trust anyone, especially Charlie. They know each other now. The trust is there.

I didn't know either. I had to look it up. Maserati.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Charlie with his lawyer, who has been pulled from the main cast credits.

14. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Constance's baby lisp got on my last nerve. I was not sorry to see her go.

And I'm getting royally tired of the adultery plots all over television these days. Constance was married. Charlie's ex is married. When someone is married, they are off-limits. Period. I have a hard time respecting a man who does not honor those boundaries. And I want to respect Charlie, because there is so much in him to respect. But his attitude toward women in general (last season's "cupcakes") and the married women around him in particular (his ex and Constance) are a real negative for me. I don't mind some flaws in my heroes, but this is one I do mind. Strongly.

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Maserati Quattroporte