new star trek trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

AWESOME TRAILER!

Upon the first viewing I swore Cumberbatch said "You want a poem Kirk?"

2. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Agreed. And I'm guessing that's going to be one of the plot points, base on som of the dialogue in the new trailer, Kirk and company bonding with the ship. It'd be nice to see that sort of "ship as a character" dynamic that you saw in Firefly/Serenity, where you get the sense that the captain and crew really *love* the ship.

You weren't the only one, that's exactly what I heard the first time as well.

(Kind of a shame that it's not what he says, it'd be a pretty badass line.)

Being as it's been revealed that Carol Marcus is a weapons expert, anyone get an inkling that the Dreadnought is the fruit of her labor, and that she's probably in for the ride with Kirk and company because she has knowledge of how to defeat it?

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

This is the finest of an excellent series of teasers and trailers for this film. Personaly, I feel certain it will, but I hope the movie realises the potential promised. It'll be hugely disappointing if it falls short.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Anyone catch the subtle nod to TOS production values in the trailer? The scene where Spock is running after Harrison, at 1:51 into the trailer (just after Harrison bursts through the glass), shows Spock's insignia on the wrong side of his shirt--as used to happen to McCoy in TOS on more than one occasion. That's the kind of attention to detail that shows, beyond all doubt, that Abrams' reverence for the source material is unimpeachable. :lol:

I loved the trailer, don't get me wrong. I was simply amused that a little reversal like that snuck into it the way it would on TOS.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There's another reverse-angle shot of Kirk in the Captain's chair.

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, wasn't lost on me. The set of TMP trading cards that came with General Mills cereals as part of the movie promotion back in 1979 were all backwards, too. EVERY one of them, as I remember.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Harrison bursting through the glass is also reversed from what was seen in previous clips and stills.

We saw image-flips like that in trailers for the last one, too. The one with Spock's insignia on the wrong side of his shirt as he's choking Kirk on the bridge is one that quite a few people picked up on. Robau's briefly-missing badge in the movie might have been because of an image-reversal, as well.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone's pointed out that the flip-flops are probably deliberate choices made to maintain a certain flow and direction to the action in the quick-cutting trailer; they don't consider the badges to be a big enough deal in this context to expend resources trying to hide or fix them.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Such reversals are common in trailers for action movies in general, for reasons of flow like you say. I just thought it was an amusing coincidence. Perhaps I should have posted my observation in the TOS forum to prove Abrams respects the source material?

Nah. Not worth the rage it would surely generate. Or maybe...:devil:

10. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

I hope they put in an ironic callback by having McCoy say "My God, that's a big ship," as the Dreadnought comes into view. :lol:

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He should say "I've seen bigger."

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is this Yeoman Rand?
    [​IMG]

13. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

^^^
    40 years from now her hair will look sooo dated, JJ is destroying Star Tr... wait...

14. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That would be cool!

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

If you want her to be. :p

16. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I noticed several of them. Another more subtle one was in the pod scene, although I'm starting to think that one was actually the right way, and the first trailer we saw it in was flipped.

17. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Dude... :drool: