General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've sen this elsewhere. It basically sounds like Jericho is saying that he's reached a point where he's pursued his wrestling dreams to the extent that he's content doing so. If Vince really needs him (not that Vince would ever admit to really needing any particular performer) that he can make it worth his while.

Jericho is no Rock, but he has his own projects in which he can continue to make shit-loads of money without putting his body on the line every night. Jericho has three kids that he may want to be able to pick up and cradle or contine to play with in his 50s and 60s.

Something also to consider is that with Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit, Jericho has lost most of his closest friends in the business to the perils of the business.

3. Admiral_Young

Also, this reminds me it has long since past September...has anyone seen any mention about Jericho's third book? It was supposed to originally come out last month as I reported in the other thread a few months ago. I haven't seen anything on it for a long while and frankly totally forgot about it until now. I couldn't even find the listing on Amazon Canada any more.

4. Satyrquaze

I seem to recall a tweet from Jericho not that long ago (a couple weeks?) where he was just getting some real writing time in.

5. Admiral_Young

Perhaps it's just delayed then. Man. I wish there was something decent to talk about LOL. Another Raw that I didn't watch last night. Was it any good?

6. Satyrquaze

Hard to tell, I like the direction they're taking Kane and DBD. I however stopped watching about midway through in favor of the Presidential debate.

7. Admiral_Young

I'd imagine the ratings were down during the debate. I did read something that Cena and AJ were in a relationship (obviously kayfabe...I really haven't been watching or following news) and that Vicky was named Raw GM or something? Is that right? Oh dear.

8. Satyrquaze

Vicky's title is "Managing Supervisor". She can apparently make matches just like a GM or whatever. She did not appear with Dolph Ziggler or even mention him after her promotion as far as I could tell.

Vince even said: "She's a Managing Supervisor. Even I don't even know what that means."

EDIT: I found this blurb about Jericho's book.

Linky

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Caught up on this week's Raw last night. Aside from the tag team match, Gabriel/Cesaro and Bryan/Ziggler, that was a pretty mediocre effort especially considering it was the Raw before a PPV. I actually fell asleep during the lumberjack match and didn't catch the end but it didn't sound like I missed anything.

I'm still not sold on Ryback/Punk and Sheamus/Show isn't any better. The AJ storyline makes zero sense because it blatantly violates the WWE's internal continuity as well as anything resembling logic--AJ is kayfabe single, Cena is kayfabe single (they've never brought up his real-life divorce AFAIK), and somehow their dinner date is a violation of WWE policies? All this while Vickie with Edge a few years back on Smackdown was perfectly acceptable. Really? I fully expect some retcons as part of wrestling angles, but this was borderline insulting to the audience's intelligence.

It also doesn't help that I can't stand Vickie Guerrero and want to fast-forward every time she appears. Between her, Ryberg and pretty much zero interesting angles aside from Team Hell No, the WWE is doing a fantastic job of driving me away.

10. Admiral_Young

"Excuse Me!!!!!" ;)

11. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I only watch for Heyman these days. The man is still brilliant with or without a mic in his hand. His facial expressions alone make the show.

12. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I've been thinking about how the CM Punk/Ryback situation might pan out tonight. As we all know, Punk or Cena has to be WWE Champion, come Royal Rumble, so that means that Ryback will lose the title within the next couple of months - a throwaway title reign. I get the impression WWE doesn't really want to do this, since it would do nothing for Ryback, and would merit a triple threat or other additional-participants match where Ryback loses the title without being involved in the decision.

The Ryback streak, wasn't meant to be a streak to begin with. The idea seemed to be that Ryback, would continue squashing jobbers, until he was over, and then he would lose, followed by going onto bigger and better things. The only reason it became a streak, was because of the obvious Goldberg comparisons, and because the fans were treating it this way. It's not like Brodus Clay or Tensai (who both had undefeated streaks earlier this year) could have followed the same booking.

Now we come to Punk, who could easily recover from a loss to Ryback. The trouble is, if Punk is the "chosen one" to face Rock at RR, then he needs to hold onto the title, as it would factor majorly into the selling point of the match.

So it comes down to a screwy decision, if WWE is not willing to end Ryback's streak (either clean or dirty). It was reported in a few places that Heyman has proposed a stable (a'la the Dangerous Alliance, more of a group of wrestlers managed by him who occasionally team with each other or help each other). The best way to end this match is to reveal the members of the stable, as they run out to assist Punk, followed by a load of faces running out to help Ryback. This leads to a 5v5 stand-off, the HIAC is thrown out, and you have your main event for Survivor Series.

13. Admiral_Young

Or the return of the nWo :) Sorry...I couldn't resist. But yeah interference of some kind is the only way I can think of to end this match. It's possible to get into the Cell as we saw when Del Rio used that clever move last year against Cena to trap him outside.

Interesting article on the status of Ric Flair.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_66170.shtml

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  14. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

15. Ghost Bones

Anyone catch Hell in a Cell? Personally, I loved almost all of it. Best PPV of the year.

16. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

:wtf:

Well, each to their own. Both tag team matches were crap, but that's nothing new, given WWE's INSISTENCE on booking EVERY tag team match to the same dull, overused and de-innovative formula.

Del Rio vs. Orton was a solid opener, although there seemed to be some sloppyness and forgotten spots at the go-home section. Big Show vs. Sheamus was the match of the night, and the WHC change, was much welcome. The crowd was dead for Justin Gabriel vs. Antonio Cesaro, not a very good sign for either man, although Cesaro is a proven heat magnet. No sign of John Cena surprisingly, well, not on the main show anyway. The main event went as expected, not particularly worthy of a HIAC match, but they did their best.

I do have issue with the finish, since it does nothing except introduce another player (referee/wrestler Brad Maddox) into the fray, to overcomplicate things. Now you have Punk who is feuding with Cena, but also feuding with Ryback, who is pissed because he was screwed out of his streak by Heyman, Punk and Maddox.

17. Satyrquaze

^Wonder if Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Bill Goldberg feel like WWE should be paying them royalties...

18. Ghost Bones

The Big Show vs. Sheamus was an absoute masterpiece, I was gripped throughout - and that's something I never thought I'd say. Match of the year candidate.

19. Admiral_Young

This AJ and Cena "affair" story line is even more moronic than TNA's AJ and Dixie "affair" story line.

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I love the token classic survivor series match. Bye bye Beth have fun with Edge.