First Season Theme Music Change

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Ssosmcin, Aug 22, 2012.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

A little off topic, but i'm SO thrilled about the TOS soundtrack box set. I've wanted all of the music since I was a kid, and finally...it is coming!

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, i just hadn't done that yet. Hence the question. I've heard "union rules" cited before. Yet there are plent of shows from that era whose themes sound the same from one year to the next.

3. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

You'll get to hear both main titles a few times on our set and you'll be able to hear the difference for sure.

Neil

4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, espcially over at 20th century Fox where the same music was heard season after season. Either Fox had an out, were under different regulations or they were ignoring the union rules which may or my not have been enforced all that stringently. Irwin Allen, for example, only seemed to change his theme music because he felt the show needed a goosing.

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Well, the thing to remember is lots of shows sold in to reruns typically will have amended opening credits sequences that sometimes differ from how they were originally broadcast. The same way episodes are sometimes cut to fit a standard for syndication, this might well have been part of the 'package' the original series was sold as in to reruns.

I mean, let's look at the other Trek series. TNG's opening theme was basically the same after the second season, with minor edits and flourishes added through the years; Deep Space Nine and Enterprise had two distinct versions, and Voyager's was the only one that was the same arrangement, instrumentation and performance through its entire run.

6. plynch

Good point. What we hear in reruns or on discs isn't what was original. Though reruns of MASH had the different arrangements for different seasons. And that was a Fox, show, come to think of it.

7. Ssosmcin

There is no "be-all" rule. TV shows on DVD are either correct or they aren't. Bewitched is not; the main themes are pretty much wrong for the majority of the run on video. MASH is right. Lost in Space is right. Voyage has a screw up or two. Star Trek's first season is all over the map on Blu-Ray. Twilight Zone is accurate. It all depends.

8. plynch

I have no blu-ray. But I watched a TOS-r on netflix. They rerecorded the theme for that project, yes?

I need to stop caring about this.

9. Ssosmcin

Yep, that they did.

10. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Wait. What 15-CD box set????

11. JimZipCode

Seriously, this is happening? A boxed set of ALL the original scores for ALL the episodes?

WANT! I've wanted that basically all my life. I've got everything on CD that I could find, but there's so much more that's never been released.

What, when, where, and how much?

12. Ssosmcin

It should be coming out in November sometime, the projected cost around $200 - 230.

Here's the official announcement. :-)

For Immediate Release
    August 8, 2012

COMING SOON FROM LA-LA LAND RECORDS
    STAR TREK®: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION

Burbank, CA -- La-La Land Records proudly announces its forthcoming release of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION, a limited edition 15-CD box set, showcasing all episode scores as heard in all three original seasons of the landmark sci-fi television series STAR TREK (1966-1969). This special collection of ground-breaking, iconic music, from one of television’s most acclaimed and beloved series, has been newly remastered from studio elements and features hours of stellar material previously unreleased in any format.

Original series composers Alexander Courage, George Duning, Jerry Fielding, Gerald Fried, Sol Kaplan, Samuel Matlovsky, Joseph Mullendore and Fred Steiner are all represented in this deluxe collection, their historic work meticulously assembled, restored and remastered to ensure the finest presentation and sound quality possible. A 100-Page CD Booklet, featuring exclusive, in-depth liner notes from film music writer and Star Trek historian Jeff Bond, complements this attractive set, which is housed in a hardcover slipcase.

The collection is expected to be released in late fall 2012. It will be a limited pressing, but the total number of units to be manufactured has yet to be determined. You can help the label decide how many units will ultimately be pressed by visiting www.lalalandrecords.com now and signing up for the STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION MAILING LIST.

STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION is licensed by CBS Consumer Products and produced in cooperation with GNP Crescendo Records, the longtime home of pioneering classic Star Trek television and film soundtracks. GNP Crescendo’s Neil Norman has allowed for episode scores previously and exclusively released by Crescendo to be newly expanded and remastered for this box set, in order to make the collection as comprehensive as possible.

This release marks the kind of authoritative collection of original Trek series music that fans have desired for decades. “For 45 years, those like me who love this music could only dream about having it all,” remarks album producer Lukas Kendall. “This is the major, historical piece of sci-fi music, television music and pop culture music that we have always wanted to release in a definitive form for the collector.”

“A majority of the music featured in this set has never been released,” adds Executive Album Producer and La-La Land Records President MV Gerhard. “Of that unreleased music, there is a fairly large percentage that no one has ever heard because it was written and recorded for the show, but never featured in the episodes.” Regarding some of these previously unreleased tracks, Album Music Editor Neil S. Bulk comments, “No original music from season three, apart from the main title, has ever been released. It’s really distinct and definitely Star Trek… It’s what people have always wanted.”

“The original show was very theatrical,” says Trek historian and liner notes writer Jeff Bond. “So the music reflected that. It was huge and very expressive and thematic. And that makes it very exciting to listen to apart from the show.”

The original Trek series scores team with action, adventure and drama, but they are also infused with deep emotion and the greatness of the human spirit. Such characteristics have kept these richly orchestrated tracks vital and relevant decades beyond their original recording. “Trek was always about the human condition,” remarks Co-Executive Album Producer and La-La Land Records VP, Matt Verboys. “And the scores have that in it and I think that’s what has made both the show and its music timeless.”

For more about STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION, visit www.lalalandrecords.com now and join the STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK MAILING LIST to receive important forthcoming information and announcements regarding the release, such as the official release date, the number of units pressed, pricing and much more!

® & © 2012 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.

###

13. JimZipCode

Signed up to mailing list!

HOW UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME.

I've had the original three Crescendo CDs forever. But there are flaws there, like the score for Where No Man Has Gone Before is woefully incomplete. (Disk 2, the Amok Time / Doomsday Machine CD, is one of the greatest CDs of all time.) Got the Fred Steiner suites, but they're short. Got the re-arrangement suites of episodes like Paradise Syndrome and Is There In Truth No Beauty, but honestly the performances are not all that great. The one of Enemy Within just hints at how great the music is, it doesn't really re-create it.

And just two months away! Incredible.

Wow, this must have been a labor of love. What an opportunity, for the people on this project who got access. I traded comments on a discussion board once, with a guy who saw George Duning's notes on the score for -- I think it was Is There In Truth No Beauty -- in the UCLA or USC library, and Duning had written a note in the margin where he interpolates Steiner's black ship motif. That was cool. This must have been so much cooler.

Wow. Best goddam news I have heard in ages. WOW!

14. Ssosmcin

Now, welcome aboard the "long train ride to November." What would normally go by in a flash ("wow, Thanksgiving already?") is going to go so damned slowly as the date of release approaches.

I'm with you on the other CDs. The Cage/ WNMHGB was great but I still remembering the crushing disappointment when it totally left out the fight music of the second pilot. Of all the tracks to skip…

15. JimZipCode

"Fight on Captain's Theme". Tracked into the Journey To Babel soundtrack.

16. Ssosmcin

Nope, you're thinking of the music we first heard in Mirror Mirror during the sickbay fight. That was recorded for the second season. The Where No Man fight music was also used in Space Seed and other first season scuffles.

17. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

LA-LA LAND RECORDS
    STAR TREK UPDATE

It's the 46th anniversary of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES! And that makes this the perfect occasion to update all of you with some new information regarding our upcoming release of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION.

First off, thank you everybody for joining our mailing list and for helping us determine what the amount of the limited edition run will be.

We are now able to officially announce that this 15-CD box set will be released as a limited edition of 6000 units.

The retail price will be $224.98.
    We are still aiming for a late November 2012 release date and are currently on track to achieve that. You will be receiving further updates soon regarding the release date, content specifics and more!

Have a great weekend!

La-La Land Records
    © 2012 La-La Land Records. All rights reserved.

18. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore