Braga: "Archer was supposed to be Future Guy"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Michael, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

I always thought Zoidberg was Future Guy. "Silik: Go kill robut Archer, maybe? WOOP WOOP WOOP" (the WOOP occurs after Silik leaves, of course)

Needless to say, if I'm wrong about this; I don't want to be right.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Come, now. We all know it was Janeway. :p

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Future Guy was Chef.

4. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Chef of the Future?
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22oCaiccz3w[/yt]

5. grabthars hammer

grabthars hammer Captain Captain

I doubt Braga had any plans for FG in his head ever.

I doubt he ever wrote anything with a plan for more than the next 5 pages.

6. Gaith

So apparently Braga repeated his claim in December, and hasn't laughed it off as a joke.

That's pretty messed up. :p

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see him try to justify it.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is complete bullshit. But he's getting attention saying it.

9. Gaith

^ I think if he didn't mean it, he'd have called it a joke by now. Though I'm still waiting for Rowling to acknowledge that Dumbledore is Ron from the future. :p

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he said it as a "OMG LOL" moment, got a ton of attention and now he's running with it. Seriously look at future guy's scenes and actions, he can't be Archer unless Archer was mutated and twisted. Now maybe that did happen and maybe Season 5 would have shown us Our Archer face to face with Twisted Archer and having to take action to stop himself from turning into this and maybe there would be some nice reflective speech about what kind of man he saw in himself in Damage BUT.. I highly doubt it.

11. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

This is hideously clever and the type of thing Ron Moore would think of also though as we know neither had the metaphysical depth to develop it right.
    Daniels was a network executive spy trying to ensure the shows survival and stayed on the air and that the, Romulan sphere builders from the future succeeded and the future Archer guy was trying to stop him only to be thwarted by the past Archer who was clueless and really wanted the show to be cancelled already.

12. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

I thought Future Guy was supposed to be a Romulan. The Romulans were obviously the greatest beneficiary of the Temporal Cold War in the 22nd century (Shockwave, Minefield) and weren't there some shots of Future Guy where it was clear he had Romulan shoulder pads? That it's Archer is clearly BS. How would he have gotten the time travel? Why would he be meddling in the ways we've seen the TCW manifest?

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

No.

:)

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^They look padded to me. I could see it being a late-DS9 or Nemesis-style Romulan uniform jacket.
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know of any pictures of James Horan filming the Future Guy scenes? I'm curious how they dressed him, now!

EDIT: I take back the Romulan jacket idea - the sleeves are wrong. It looks more like what this guy was wearing: http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s3/3x11/thehunted230.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I guess we can rule out Morn, too.

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, I could buy Braga planning Archer to be Future Guy pre-Manny Coto and then switching to the Romulan identity thing to be more consistent with S4/the proposed S5. The big problem with the TCW was that it was forced into the show to give it an even more futuristic element than DS9/VOY while maintaining the ____ of the week story structure, so it never really had any direction and Braga probably threw up his hands and said "Whatever, Archer's Future Guy"; with S4/S5 being "Birth of the Federation," it gave Future Guy some plot context to feed into and Braga could've thought things over and said "You know, if Future Guy was Romulan, this could all make sense."

17. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

according to various sources, initially it was not planned who FG was supposed to be, and then later, it was suggested it might be a Romulan. There was never any point where it was going to be Archer. I think it's pretty clear that Braga is pulling this out of his butt years later to get attention and enjoying a laugh about the debate it'll cause.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The only way I could ever imagine the TCW being a problem for the product staff, is if it were force upon them at the last minute. If it was a precondition from CBS right from the start, then it seem to me it should have been more mapped out and planned.

If that really was the plan (I thought it was going to be the Romulan War), then it is a good thing there never was a season five. What could be more boring than the "Birth of the Federation?" The whole interstellar coalitionist thing in season four was bad enough.

:)

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Seriously, what the hell is your beef with Ron Moore? He has absolutely nothing to do with this topic, but you bring him up out of nowhere just to bash him for no reason whatsoever.:rolleyes:

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Braga was there and in charge; none of us were either of those. Why would I argue with what he claims he intended?