Things you thought were stupid on ds9.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Prophet and Lace, nuf said

2. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

The Defiant- it just looks like a big shampoo bottle to me. Only Starfleet vessel where the engines are not parallel, windows visible on the underside which have no relation to decks unless the ship is three or four times larger, impulse engines are either the two small red circles or the entire stern with no outlets (depending on which reference source you use) and the detachable 'Warhead'/beak looking thing is never used, even when the ship is in battle and about to be destroyed. The bit about only being able to use the cloak when there was a Romulan representative on board lasted only a couple of episodes.
    Out of all the design sketches they worked on , they choose the worse one to use.

3. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

The problem with "The Passenger" from what I understand is that the Director kept telling Siddig to speak slower and to drop his voice as much as possible. When they tried to fix it in post with him dubbing over himself he was able to speak with a more normal voice but he still had to speak really slowly so that his lips would match the video.

4. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I agree with this. I felt like it would have been more interesting to have Sisko willingly choose to be "of Bajor" vs. him being divinely predestined and having no choice. And if they just wanted to have him end up wioth the Prohets in the end, they still could have. Making it his choise gives it more weight.

I used to feel this way, especially when it first aired. But, in hindsight, as a writer you can't have a situation like that and NOT kill the character. You can get a new character without having to completely start over. What's the use of having a joined Trill to write for if you never get to reboot the host? The situation was too perfect not to kill her. Now, the way they killed her...

Agreed. Alexander was never a high point on TNG, but it's as if the DS9 writers didn't see S6 or S7 of that series at all. Worf made some real gains as a father in episodes like A Fistful of Datas or Firstborn. But, they forget all that and put things between them right back to the way they were when K'Ehleyr died (heck, even worse). I think it was character assassination for both Worf and Alexander.

Now, I get why they didn't want Alexander on DS9. One single dad was enough (two if you count Rom). But there had to be something better than THAT. If nothing else, I can't see Worf's parents allowing him to become that neglectful of his son.

5. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The holographic ship to ship communication they used for like 2 episodes! Stupid idea!

6. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

- No Gamma quadrant episodes in S6/S7
    - The writers forgetting Jake existed in S6/S7
    - Too much war in S6/S7
    - No Dax personality present in Ezri, only Dax memories.
    - The Prophets' ever changing plans for Sisko. "Destiny fulfilled", "Destiny ahead of you", "Destiny fulfilled". Make up your mind dammit!
    - Damar never punished for killing Ziyal. Not even by Dukat.
    - Maquis storyline ending. What a downer. What a waste of potential.
    - Rom as Nagus?!? He loved his job as an Engineer! Poor guy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on Facets, there isn't much of Curzon's personality in Jadzia (just the memory of how to do a few Klingon-y things).

8. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that was pretty bad. It's a disservice to the Prophets and Emissary storyline that they made him into a god, a messiah, instead of leaving it a matter of interpretation.

I disagree here. The war was the centerpiece of the show. The Dominion were very interesting and brought out the themes of the show. An episode like "Rocks and Shoals" is a good example of roles humanoids play in the Dominion. They did plenty of episodes in seasons 3-5 about the Dominion that fleshed them out.

I disagree again. I think killing her in a time of war would've been tremendous. Having her almost a Captain in the beginning of season 6 means they could've been scrambling for good Captains, and had her command a ship as a part of a ship lost in times of war. Worf would've had no problem losing his wife that way. This would've driven home that the main characters are not all going to survive this war. Nog will lose a leg. Jadzia loses her life, possibly the symbiot of Dax would die, too (an actual death that would test Sisko's resolve for the war). Instead, he gets another Dax and all is well. There's a lot of potential with a death of Jadzia, however, I doubt you would like it if it was a war casualty.

I disagree--Alexander was a bad character, period.

----------------------

That said, I have a list. It's not very long. I think the Maquis were the weakest of the story lines for DS9. I think they should've been more menacing or not done at all. Just horrible--the Eddington episodes. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Also, the Pah Wraiths turned this into a bad comic book showdown between Dukat and Sisko. A small change--I want power and the Prophets showed me they have power--would've made it more interesting for me watching Dukat. Instead, he tries to justify everything he is doing. I hated that he became entangled with Kira's mother ( :rolleyes: ). Everything is happening to our characters (except death).

That's about all I would change.

9. Isolinear

I wasn't talking about Jadzia, I was talking about Dax. In "Invasive Procedures" Verad's personality became "wise beyond his years" compared to his old self after he received the Dax-symbiont. Just like (Season1)-Jadzia.
    I didn't see any of that in Ezri. She remained this slighty confused girl.

10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Curzon/Odo fooled around.....

Ezri was confused BECAUSE she wasn't trained for it... Jadzia, Curzon and the others all went through rigorous training for it.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I do agree about the inconsistent destiny of Benjamin Sisko.

In Reckoning, Sisko is clearly told that he has fulfilled his destiny by allowing the final battle to take place on DS9. Winn interrupts the final battle, and now nevermind, Sisko's destiny was to imprison Dukat all along.

I don't think the writers decided why Sisko was special until Tears of the Prophets, but they should have consulted their own notes a bit more to retain consistency.

12. Bad Thoughts

My point was that there really wasn't much point looking for the personality of the past hosts in Dax beyond carrying over interests, hobbies and expertises. In Facets, Curzon's vivacity was put on display (Sisko confirms it), which we never saw in Jadzia Dax. Why should it have been different with Ezri?

(And yes, Ezri did get some of her past hosts' engineering skills. See Siege of Ar-558.)

13. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I disliked Ziyal's death. She should have appeared for more seasons. Plus, Damar in the end turned out to be a somewhat good guy. What's the fun in having a heroic character kill another heroic character?

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Damar was never really that heroic. He started the rebellion for the same reason he killed Ziyal. He's a Cardassian loyalist. He killed Ziyal because in his eyes she was a traitor and that's what happens to traitors. He started the rebellion because the Dominion had 'Altered the deal', and he didn't want them to alter it any further. But Ziyal's death did seem a little contrived to me the way it happened.

I do think we saw some personality traits of past hosts in Ezri. Maybe not at the beginning but later on we saw some of Jadzia's sense of humor and poise in expressing herself.

15. Drusilla

Drusilla Ensign Red Shirt

x2. She's a babbling, simpering, giggling, overgrown twelve year old with no discernable skills, and yet somehow, she made it through the Academy and gets assigned to the most critical piece of Federation property in the Alpha Quadrant. I thought she was a truly idiotic addition to the cast.

16. doctorfoto

doctorfoto Commodore Commodore

"The wedding is off!"

All three of DS9's engagements (four, if you include the O'Briens in Data's Day) get cancelled at some point before the wedding.

17. Bad Thoughts

Ezri Dax: acted as communications officer for the Defiant at the Battle of Chintoka and the Battle of Cardassia. Diffused mines and fought at Battle of Ar-558. Hates raktagino. Slept with Worf.

Diana Troi: Crashed Enterprise into Veridian III. Crashed Enterprise into Scimitar. Loves chocolate. Slept with Worf.

I'd say Ezri is at least as good (if not better) than the prototype SF counselor.

18. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"To become a thing is to know a thing. To assume its form is to begin to understand its existence." - the Female Changeling to Odo

Odo can't get a human face quite right, because he hadn't full understanding of humans. The others just imitates Odo's face to be closer to him.

Changelings from the Great Link have no problems with human appearance because they already developed their "understanding" of humans.

I guess, it wasn't an intended effect. Odo's face was unfinished to make his appearence more "alien". But his inability to precisely imitate humans has deep philosophical subtext.

19. Isolinear

Maybe, but then why does the female changeling have that same shapeless Odo-face when she's alone with the Jem'Hadar, Cardassians and Breen?

20. Bad Thoughts

Probably to remind the audience who and what she is.

For the record: Odo will get good at faces with practice, if Children of Time is to be believed.