Transwarp

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Vulcan Logician, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can anyone describe the mechanics of transwarp to me? Does it involve "opening a conduit" or "finding a wormhole"? ONE LOVE.:rofl:

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Transwarp is warp ten.

Infinite speed.

A theoretical impossibility, where you occupy all points in space simultaneously.

The engineers on Voyager figured out how to enter transwarp space which is the only place where transwarp speeds are capable, a higher dimension of our universe, but they do not know how to navigate inside transwarp space or exit transwarp space controlledly.

The Borg cannot fly naked through transwap space at infinite speed.

The Voth can.

Infinite Speed.

What the Borg can do is build transwarp conduits, tunnels though Transwarp space like 19th century man built train tracks across the planet. Transwarp Conduits do not collapse after one use. They can self sustain for an unknown duration without maintinance, or with the aid of a transwarp hub, a Transwarp conduit can be maintinaed indefinitely as part of a mass transit infrastructure.

In TNG Descent "someone" says that Borg transwarp speeds are equivilent to 30 times the highest speeds Federation Star Ships are capable of. The Enterprise was also capable of "unlocking" and using a Borg Transwarp Conduit by imitating a Borg "key" transmission.

I assume that transwarp speed inside a conduit is relatively static.

Laying track, ie building a conduit however seems to a much slower process which is why it took Voyager 2 weeks to travel 30 thousand K light years, but in the final episode Voyager traveled 30 K light years in 2 hours.

As far as flying through transwarp space without a conduit, what takes time is navigating, figuring out where you are, where you are going, and how to get out, which with a more powerful computer would probably make the transition from a to b, no matter the distance seem seamless and instantaneous.

You do know that there is a Trek Tech forum?

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Transwarp is more or less warp drive but faster.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Transwarp" is pretty much a blanket term for "faster than warp"

We've seen the silly infinite speed in "Threshold", the Voth's regualr-looking-warp-but-with-streakier-stars in "Distant Origin" and the Borg's wormhole-tunnel-esque transwarp in TNG's "Descent" and then throughout Voyager (which Seven said was similar to the Quantum Slipstream drive of "Hope and Fear")

The new movies have "Transwarp beaming" which basically means beaming faster than warp (they beam from a planet to a ship at warp speed) and with seemingly unlimited distance (Earth to Kronos)

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's one of those plot conscious mechanics that change and vary according to the needs of the current episode it's featured in.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's hilarious how so many plot points are about getting faster and faster..

I was trying to get this kid I know to watch Enterprise because he's the sort of nerdy teenager who balks at inferior sets etc.. and he's seen a few other Trek series and that was his big complaint. But he was very reluctant to watch Enterprise because they only went at warp 5 and "it will take them too long to get places, it will be boring."

That was a couple years ago and I'm still laughing every time I remember it.

7. Guy Gardener

Throw him in a hot locker with nothing but 4 episodes of Skippy the Bush Kagaroo on a loop.

Kids today would die if they had to put up with the Telly we did growing up.

Can you imagine a young time traveller from now trapped in the 1950s trying to get a media fix?

"This is very important, I need you to generate as much 8mm film of cats playing musical instruments and riding skateboards as po... What do you mean "what's a skate board"?"

8. teacake

The trouble is my own attention span is growing shorter and shorter and sometimes I can't even pay long enough attention to an animated gif to see the cat fall off the windowsill.

9. Guy Gardener

I watched all of The Lost Islands last year.

The first couple episodes were really rough until I properly acclimatized to 1976.

Although I greased my way through the first couple seasons of One Day at a Time because that was just some super complex story telling for a sitcom... I mean they kept having stories where everything went wrong! And Bonnie Franklin would just sit there huddled and crying as the camera faded to black after 22 minutes.

10. teacake

Was it good? It looks very intriguing. And yes the 70's.. if you've ever tried to show a current teenager something from that era it's hard work to get them to stop laughing and groaning long enough to notice plot. 60's tweaks vintage and is more palatable.

11. Guy Gardener

I suppose you were too busy pulling a 40 hour work week some place horrible in the 70s to bother with dire children's programming.

Here's my Theory about How Spock marooned Janeway.

Transwarp on the Excelsior worked.

But when Montgomery Scott sabotaged the Excelsiors transwarp engines, they were not put back together right or put back together at all, the engineers may have not have even noticed what Scotty did, pulling all those chips, and just concluded that the engine was fundamentally flawed.

If they hadn't tried to rescue Spock on Genesis, the Federation would have had transwarp a hundred years before Kathryn was lost, and in stead of Caretaker dragging her 70 years form her home fires, he would have yanked the girl a mere 3 week's leisurely stroll from her summer house in Idaho.

Besides, didn't Bill Cobb say that Transwarp beaming was impossible?

12. teacake

Yes those were the years I was Prime Minister.

And Emory was a coot.

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

No.

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I thought it was something like this.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0[/yt]

15. teacake

That's what Kirk said when he escaped from Vengeance by going to warp.

16. Vulcan Logician

Most readily accepted definition.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha, like the new Avatar Vulcan! :)

18. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

That's quite a pick-up line you've got there. I may have to try it out at the club.

19. Vulcan Logician

Thanks. Pon Farr Tuvok seemed... logical as an avatar choice.

20. teacake

I feel sorry for Pon Farr Tuvok. Every other Pon Farr Vulcan is just some stereotype of fanboy lust but Tuvok was actually separated from his wife, a REAL PERSON.