COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Jan 20, 2013.

1. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

They write they want and try to make it fit trekkie perceptions of canon later, so I can buy a previously unknown Enterprise under Captain April.

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

He never specified what kind of ship, or if it is indeed one of THE Enterprises. Also, we have no idea what kind of situation he's in that prompts that line.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a montage of that character's appearences over the years.

According to Bob Orci at Trekmovie this morning...
    When I asked if their Robert April was based on the version in Diane Carey's novels as their version of George Kirk was, the reply was:

"alternate universe April affected more by change in history."
    Which probably means that they've just Cochrane'd the character (i.e. totally changed his personality to fit their story) or maybe...
    Something happened to really screw him up in the past 25 years. The version in the novels was such a softie and idealist he had to turn command over to George when the Enterprise came under attack. He couldn't bear to order return fire himself.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or the Most Interesting Starship Captain In The World.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KpfKp-gv6s[/yt]

Something to contemplate the next time someone on the Internet waxes nostalgic about pre-CG movie effects.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looking at that picture kind of reminds me of Stephen Lang as he appeared in Terra Nova.

Some thoughts on this matter:
    -It was in Countdown that we first learned of the destuction of Romulus.
    -The gun Cumberbatch has in the trailer was labeled "April's gun" on the concept designs. Or do we still think that's what month it was designed in.

Maybe Cumberbatch isn't April, though at this point there's more evidence leaning in that direction than there is for him being Khan. But at the very least Robert April has something to do with the movie.

6. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While Enterprise was on television, some fans used to joke about that scene in The Motion Picture depicting previous ships with the name displayed on the Rec Deck. That the NX-01 must've done something really bad to have been removed from the line-up. Given the ship was Starfleet's first and historically important. The real life answer is that nobody knew there would be a prequel spin-off in 1979, let alone a couple decade's worth of Star Trek shows without Kirk and Spock.

I imagine they've gone for something like that, to explain why nobody ever mentions an Enterprise, which Robert April is the former Captain of.

And it's fortunate that it builds on the parallel universe aspect of Star Trek [2009], with fans considering April the forerunner to Pike and Kirk. It doesn't harm his status in the Prime Universe as Enterprise Captain in 2245 and perhaps fun to think of him as a guy who stayed on the rails thanks making different decisions. Obeying the Prime Directive or breaking it, if I'm reading those comic strip panels correctly.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Some very TOS like decor in Spock's bedroom. Including framed fabric wall decorations.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Cumberbatch is not April. There is no possibility.

9. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Just like there's no possibility that it's not Khan? :p

10. Admiral Buzzkill

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne8ezzeuGhI[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4ExfiGK8E&[/yt]

Any questions?

11. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Where is this Khan screaming clip from......and who is the babe?

12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Naaaaah... That's Brad Majors. :rofl:

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This sounds very cheesy but I wouldn't put it past them: Bobby's wearing a yellow command smock but without the black undershirt. Maybe John Harrison mugged the old boy and stole it...

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Solution to the April Question (Maybe): He was in line to command the Enterprise and got snaked by Kirk being wonder-boy and saving the Federation and Earth and got booted out of running for the center seat. It's an ideal.

On a side note: I love April's jacket in that panel. Don't know why, I just do.

15. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

None.

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

After reading a few of your posts I've decided you might be too emotional for this forum.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This forum could use some colour, if you ask me. There's far too much Abrams fawning around here, a dissenting voice to shake up the status quo should not only be a welcome change, but a required one. Even/especially if my arguments are narrow-minded and only serve to appease me.

Come on, we are Trek fans, Abrams is The Man. The Man is not supposed to be liked. Trek fans of old didn't like Rick Berman, Star Wars fans don't like George Lucas, Doctor Who fans don't like Steven Moffat and they didn't like RTD before him. What the hell is so special about Abrams that he gets worshipped while others in his position are so reviled?

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Avengers fans don't like Joss Whedon...

Oh, wait.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Abrams entertains us. This seems to be the major distinction between him and the others.

20. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

You're such a hero.

He makes good movies. With Star Trek he made an entertaining movie that appealed to a broader audience and made more money than any other Star Trek, even adjusted for inflation which thus gives us more Star Trek down the road, breathing life into the shitty, rotting carcass that was Star Trek before he took over.

All of this should be quite evident. If you're one of those "no Star Trek is better than JJ Star Trek" people then I truly pity you and good luck with that.