Ferengi in the new universe

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by urbandk, Nov 24, 2009.

1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I'm sure many of you have seen the GQ magazine Chris Pine man of the year edition in which we find an image of Pine with a Ferengi at a lunch counter.

[​IMG]

I am a big fan of Ferengi and Ferengi society, especially before it became a watered-down wanna be human culture. I am also someone who liked all the Ferengi episodes on DS9.

Therefore I am thrilled that GQ made up a model as a Ferengi, and it's one of the best Ferengi costumes and make-up jobs I've ever seen. I hope to see many more Ferengi and Ferengi stories in the new universe, if we are ever fortunate enough to have Star Trek on TV again.

2. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait.....there's a Ferengi in the picture?
    I'd just like to be that sandwich....

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd just like to eat that sandwich :lol:
    Damn I'm starving right now

As for the Ferengi, no I wouldn't want them in the sequels.

4. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Me neither, but I hope they'd turn up on future Star Trek TV shows.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, why not? We know the Ferengi almost sorta made first contact in ENT, having them show up in the new timeline would not be that inappropriate. But largely, I'd guess, as a background fixture as a nod to fans - even in the TNG heyday there was a noticeable absence of Ferengi in the feature films (for whatever reason.)

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quark was supposed to be in Insurrection, but the scene got deleted.

Anyway, Pine hanging out with that Ferengi is a canon violation. Blah blah blah. Childhood raped. Something something something. This baesment's cold, why can't mom and dad pay the bill?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Ferengi make me smile. I think they should be in every movie.

8. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

Very Funny.:lol::techman:

9. Nilva

Nilva Cadet Newbie

I was the Ferengi in the shoot. The costume is a screen used one that I own, along with the prostetics.

10. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, do go on!

11. I actually like the way that particular Ferengi looks. If it looks like him, sure why not have them pop up in Star Trek. I think the general meme of them being this uber-capitalistic-super-greedy society is a good one that could produce funny moments but they should not make them as goofy as they became in DS9.

12. Kelso

You look great. How did you wind up owning that costume and prosthetics and how did you wind up in GQ?

13. Nilva

Nilva Cadet Newbie

I have a site where I showcase some of my screen used Ferengi costumes from a variety of Star Trek episodes. Here is the link: http://newferenginar.blogspot.com/search?q=

The people at GQ emailed me looking for screen used Ferengi costumes to rent for the shoot, but they wouldn't tell me with whom. They just told me it was a 'famous Star Trek actor'. They wanted to hire and fly me to NY as a 'consultant' for the shoot. They wanted me to send pics of the best ones and the sizes of each for actors they were going to put in the costumes. I did as they asked, and sent along 3 pics of me at conventions in a couple of them. They were very impressed with my portrayal, and said they wanted me instead. They asked if I could leave right away. 6 hours later I was on a plane to NY with all expenses paid for 3 days, and I got paid. I hung with Chris for 5 of the 6 shoot locations (about a day), and we chatted about everything under the sun, including the movie and future Star Trek movie stuff. We talked a lot during that particular shoot, which lasted about 2 hours. You wouldn't know it from the pic, but we got to giggling a couple of times from our banter. That shoot was fun.

14. Kelso

Wow, great stuff.

15. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

That's wonderful! Can you remember some of the things you guys talked about? Any impressions of Chris you have?

16. Starquest

Starquest Commander Red Shirt

That is so wonderful, Nilva. I am so jealous. We would love to hear more. And your costume and makeup are awesome.

17. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Francis! Thank you so much for posting the link to your blog. Im heading off for bed now but plan on going over it (hopefully tomorrow) with a fine toothcomb. At just a quick glance i nearly fell over looking at all the beautiful costumes you have!! I do have many questions for you....so i hope you stick around to be bombarded with questions from me and i am sure a lot of other people! Just give us a few days as tomorrow is turkey day. Thank you for posting!!!