NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

No, and that is what was so refreshing about it. Post game interviews are usually as exciting as a PAT, but Sherman took it another level. Bravo.
    He's never before won a NFC championship. If this were the regular season, with a another slate of games exactly 7 days after his little rant, it would have been forgotten. But because his rant occurred a week before the Super Bowl hype machine went into full effect, it is still the biggest NFL story. I could maybe see the hand wringing and pearl clutching if Sheman had used profanity and threatened someone, but that didn;t happen.

Sherman's biggest mistake was coming across as "scary black man" to many Americans and he is suffering the consequences.

2. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If a small shove like that is enough to send Sherman off the deep end (throwing the choking sign around, going full psycho in the interview, and spending the rest of the evening insulting "mediocre" Crabtree), he must have some pretty damn thin skin. For the amount of talking he does, I would have thought he'd be tougher than that.

Regardless of what he said, you don't go up to someone you have issues with, swat them on the ass, and start jawing with them and then expect any sort of different reaction. Not saying Crabtree was right, but Sherman should have expected nothing less. Sherman is either dumber than everyone gives him credit for or he was intentionally baiting Crabtree. Take your pick. Just bear in mind that this isn't a guy who has necessarily developed a reputation as a gracious winner (Anyone remember "You mad, bro?!" ?).

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to laugh when I think of the few people that told me Denver should have kept Tim Tebow. I have not heard any of that kind of talk lately for some reason.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some radio talk show host I heard on ESPN summed it up best when he said the people rooting for Tebow to be a starting QB in the NFL were doing it for completely non-football reasons.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Did people think they should have kept Tebow even after they signed Peyton Manning? I agree that would be stupid. However, I also would have liked to see him get a chance with another team simply because he won in the playoffs. While I have no doubt others have been motivated by non-football reasons, that's certainly not true with me.

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Tebow won in the playoffs by lofting up a wounded duck that should have been picked. If Demaryius Thomas hadn't turned on the jets, that play goes nowhere. :lol:

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While it could have been interesting to see if Tebow could have picked anything up from Manning, it was best that they sent him off. Nobody knew the condition of Manning, but you just know that the fans would have been calling for Tebow after the first rough game. Also, Tebow would have made a terrible backup for Manning- their play styles are way too different. Denver would have needed a Manning playbook and a Tebow playbook, because they couldn't just plug Tebow in if Manning went down.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

See what happens if Peyton retires after winning a superbowl (or if he retires because of the neck checkup even if he loses). This is a short window either way without a backup plan, so once Manning takes off, may want Tebow back again after all ;)

well, probably not, but either way, Broncos are going to go from #1 back to the middle pretty quickly. If not this spring, likely next.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Explaining what he said after the fact and what he actually said are two different things. Here's the actual clip (fast forward to about :47 to see the actual exchange).

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myXFx-y5wTg[/yt]

Sherman runs up to Crabtree, smacks him on the butt (common for football players, and not a sign of disrespect), and says "Hell of a game, hell of a game!" before reaching a hand out for a handshake. Nothing nefarious at all.

He may not be the biggest fan of Crabtree outside of the stadium, but in that stadium there was no jawing with Crabtree. He quite literally ran up to him after the game, extended his hand for a shake, and was pushed in the head. An official came up to separate them, but the damage had been done. I believe AFTER this (when Sherman is now pissed) is when he does the throat choke sign towards Kaepernick (not Crabtree), and gets fined by the league.

When looking at the video evidence, what I see is a guy who went for a post-game handshake.

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

C'mon now, he chased him down to taunt him. That's not some kind of traditional post-game handshake :lol:

11. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Terrific. Then Sherman was embellishing the story during his interview. Shocker. I don't really care about Sherman one way or the other but you aren't going to convince me that he is just this deeply misunderstood individual. He knows exactly what he is doing. Which is fine. The NFL needs guys like that. Another layer to the Super Bowl storyline to be sure.

12. tighr

I heard Marshawn Lynch bolted after just 6 minutes of answering media questions. The media will view this as Lynch being a "distraction" to his team. Clearly, the media themselves are the distraction to him.

This may result in him receiving a $100M fine from the NFL for failure to make himself available to the media.

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

$100M?

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

$50000 last time, but the NFL ended up reversing the fine.

15. tighr

Oh sorry, I'm at work. We use "M" as an abbreviation for 1000 ("MM" is an abbreviation for million, as in thousand-thousand). As an engineer, this finance abbreviation bugs the shit out of me, but eight years later I guess I've gotten used to it.

It should read $100,000.

What I read was that the appeal was granted under condition that he didn't do it again, with the threat of an additional $50k fine and reinstatement of the original fine. $100k.

EDIT: Thanks google for helping explain "M" vs "k" and "MM" vs "m"! http://www.accountingcoach.com/blog/what-does-m-and-mm-stand-for

16. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still haven't left my house. :eek:

17. gblews

OmaHA!!! I'm sure we've all noticed it right before the Broncos snap the ball on what seems like every play. It had gotten inside my head so much in the last game that I waited to hear it and was not disappointed once. Well the number of times Peyton yells OmaHA!! before the snap can, like everything else in the SB, be wagered upon.

From the L.A. Times website today;

18. tighr

The Prop Bets sheet that I'm handing out at my party this Sunday includes under the "will it occur" section: Manning 'Omaha' play call results in TD yes/no.

I've seen other prop bet sheets with the 27 1/2 number, as well.

FYI, if anyone wants to use the prop bet sheet I've got, it's listed here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/printablesuperbowlpropbets/

I'm giving these out at $5 a pop prior to the game. It's a fun thing we do every year!

19. gblews

Got any action on "smokey left" (or right)? :)

20. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm heading down to Vegas for the game, but I don't think I'll make an over/under bet on how many times Manning yells "Omaha". I haven't even decided on which team to bet on. Maybe I'll just stick to betting the over/under on the score and toss in a small prop bet parley card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.