Anybody else sick of Vampires?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lookingglassman, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

It seems to me that wherever you look vampires are the new "in" thing. It seems that we are being saturated with them. There are all kinds of shows, movies, books etc dealing with them.

It is getting kind of boring now.

What I would like to see is a good remake of "Frankenstein"

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember when Superfriends used to do the odd vampire episode. For some stupid reason, the vamps could never be shown actually *biting* anyone, so the only way vampirism could spread was by...wait for it...laser beams. Yep, you read that right. In one ep, the vamps shot laser beams from their eyes. The other - from the fangs! :guffaw:

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

More than vampires I think there's way too many zombies or zombie-like creatures in media these days.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I was never all that fond of Vampires and the new Vampire rage does nothing to change that opinion. The only time I really liked them was in 'Salem's Lot where King made them really scary.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Agreed.

Especially since zombies, as characters, inherently limit the premise. There's never been a zombie movie that I'm aware of which didn't end with everybody either dead or a zombie. It's pretty much inevitable that a zombie film end that way, because no such film ever presented a cure...

6. Crash

Crash Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno, zombies just need a different spin. I'm actually hoping someone runs with the idea of making a movie told exclusively from the point of view of 24 hour news. Imagine the zombie apocalypse told through CNN or Fox. If you wanted to do a comedy you could throw in some pundits with nutty conspiracy theories.

7. Joshua Howard

Joshua Howard Captain Captain

The whole Twilight saga is something that I keep a moderate distance away from. It throws teenage girls into a certain spell and attracts them in a way that is just plain frightening. In any case, I have a hard time thinking vamps are particularly cool; of course, I did find Buffy the Vampire Slayer entertaining enough to buy the series on DVD, so I suppose I should take that back at least a little bit.

I think that the whole vampire romance bit is where I draw the line. They are supposed to be evil rotten creepy monsters; not wildly seductive sex idols.

8. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saun of the Dead?

Which is pretty much the best zombie movie, anyway.

9. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vampires suck!

Sorry.

10. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Oh, you've just been watching too much Fox News.
    ;)

Yes, I'm kind of sick of vampires, but the pop culture obsession with them seems to come in waves every couple of decades -- like bubble skirts and aviator glasses! The pilgrimage to Forks that my Twilight obsessed mother and sister forced me to accompany them on pushed me over. I don't mind good vampire movies and literature, but that was just miserable!

11. Lookingglassman

The original Buffy movie was great. I aint got no problem with some vampire shows, but it feels like there is an over saturation of it now. Time to move on. Twilight was awful. I remember watching it on a bus full of teenage girls (dont ask) and I couldnt believe their reactions. You would have thought they were catholics and the virgin mary appeared to them

I also agree about zombies. A movie based on the book "World War Z" might be good,though.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Naw, Wet Work would make a much better film...

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Oh, I have to.

14. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I was actually impressed at how bad it was! I agreed to watch because my sister loved it, though I was never interested -- I figured it would be lame but entertaining. It wasn't even that! Dreadful and dreadully boring.
    Well, if you can say anything at all about the film it's that the male lead is undeniably foxy.

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yes. Far too many Emo-teenage angst-aren't they cool-vampire movies, shows and books. Bah. I got over the "OMG-Vampires R Awesome" thing when I was in high school.

The whole zombie thing pretty much bores me. It must be a guy thing, frankly, because--other than Shaun of the Dead--I've never been terribly fond of zombie movies. Hubby and his pals just LOVE them. I thought Zombieland was OK and 28 Days Later held my interest--but all the rest? I couldn't even watch them all the way through.

16. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Have zero interest in the latest Vampires stuff, like Twilight.

17. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This Vampire trend is nothing new. It's been going on for a long time. They will always be popular in one way or another, because you have the more monstrous ones as well as the suave and sophisticated ones to appeal to different kinds of people. The emo mask they wear now (which does suck) is just the newest way to sell them to ignorant children. Once a new trend takes hold that the vampiric mold can be shoved into, they will become that. Check out the cock-rockish vamps from Lost Boys in the 80s to see what I mean.

Zombies are kind of an anomaly, because a good zombie film doesn't treat them as a character. They are treated as a more natural force. Zombie movies aren't so much about the zombies, as they are how the humans react to them. Some of the better zombie movies are more about taking a look at the current state of human society through a zombie holocaust. The original Dawn of the Dead is a great example of this.

That said, every zombie/vampire movie made since the 1990s started has been total garbage (other than satiric ones like Shaun of the Dead). If you want good horror, it ends with the 80s.

18. Lookingglassman

I do like True Blood only because it includes more into it than just vampires. Other monsters are roaming around.

I did like Queen of the Damned.

The only zombie movie I really liked was Dawn of the Dead by Romero. What really gets on my nerves are zombie movies where the zombies shuffle along and cant run, yet the humans always manage to get eaten and killed. I'm like, "how can a zombie that is barely walking able to get you?" It would be so easy to go around and kill them.

19. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah i'm really tired of all this Twilight jazz. I guess i'm just not a 12 year old fan girl.

20. Lookingglassman

Twilight was horrible, Vampires playing baseball and having trouble making dinner for a human? C'mon. If I lived for hundreds of years I would be better than those idiot Iron Chefs when comes to cooking and would have more interesting hobbies than playing baseball when bored.