Sneezing Etiquette

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Aug 19, 2013.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Mumps is part of the MMR vaccine, and is required before going to public school. I got mine when I was 10. I'm not sure if that was a booster, but I think they are generally part of the first 2 years.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ah, probably just fell under the category of "booster shots," which at the time just meant I was getting stabbed by a Doctor, so I probably wasn't terribly concerned with what was actually happening. :lol:

3. thestrangequark

I never minded getting my boosters, because they meant ice cream!

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Then they're a bunch of rude, inconsiderate boors who were never taught basic manners. The next time one of your co-workers sneezes without covering their mouth and nose, ask how they'd like to get a faceful of someone else's atomized, germ-laden mucus.

Since sneezing into the crook of one's elbow is apparently now the accepted sanitary practice, I'll have to remember that the next time I feel a sneeze coming on.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

The comedian Orny Adams (Coach on MTV's Teen Wolf) has entire portion of his stand-up routine dedicated to the "elbow pit." :rofl:

6. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Ugh, I hate elbows.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That's okay, I don't think you had anything to do with it. ;)

8. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

What I have been taught is that coughing or sneezing into my elbow is good if I'm wearing long sleeves. If I'm wearing short sleeves, I've been taught to pull the collar above my nose and cough/sneeze inside the shirt onto my own chest, which is less likely to spread germs than doing it on my arm or hand).

I'm unusual in that I don’t vocalize my sneezes. Most people sneeze ah-choo! Some people sneeze ah-CHOOOOOO!!!!!!!, which is kind of annoying. I sneeze ah-tch.

9. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I ah-tch and my head explodes.

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I frequently have a photic sneeze reflex outdoors (the sun is pretty bright in Arizona), which usually results in three or more quick sneezes in a row. Not a pretty sight when it's all over.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Of course. What do you think we are, a bunch of dirty barbarians?

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I actively seek out people's faces and make sure I sneeze directly into their mouth.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't understand people who just sneeze out in the open. I mean if you're not going to cover your mouth in some manner (hand, "elbow pit", shoulder, whatever) at least do *something* to show you're trying. I've seen people who won't cover but will at least turn their head away from people and sneeze "toward the ground" and behind them a bit. But to just sneeze and not do anything is the kind of stuff we yell at kindergartners about.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Really? Yell at kindergarteners?

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yell? I just kick 'em.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel bad for the Kindergartners. :wtf:

17. thestrangequark

I was this close to making that joke, but then decided it would be inappropriate seeing as I actually taught kindergarten.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ All the more reason to do so? :shifty:

Same here.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm not even sure the last time I was in the same room as a kindergartener. Possibly years. :lol:

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"Yell" in a light sense, point being we're all taught at a pretty young age to cover your damn mouth when you sneeze and cough.

Along the lines of "sneezing etiquette" I hate people who don't restrain their sneeze. I'm not saying to hold it all in like you want to cause yourself to stroke, but you also don't need to belt it out like hurricane raping an EF-5 tornado. I have a co-worker who does this, whenever he sneezes you can hear him pretty much anywhere you are in the building. Through walls, different corners of the building, wherever. There's actually been times people have gotten on the intercom to bless him after a sneeze. We've gotten customer complaints about his loud sneezes.

I think it should be pretty easy to not belt out a sneeze with all of the force of F1 racer slamming into a brick wall.