They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I think that's how they interpreted it with the animated shows. Despite this they initially played her as being very naive and sheltered, so one can hardly say she'd already be a hardened veteran right out of the gate. Oh and they also implied that her father was Hades, which IMO is a lot more interesting than it being Zeus. I mean how many dozens of demi-god children did Zeus father for goodness sake?

2. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Being a daughter of Zeus would better explain her abilities than being a daughter of Hades. She is strong like Hercules and can fly, she doesn't command the dead.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Does she also throw lightning bolts and shape shift? I really wouldn't try to apply too much logic to the abilities and heredity of mythical Greek gods. Besides, didn't Hades end up in charge of the underworld by drawing lots? Commanding the dead was more of a job description than his raison d'etre.

Still, I'm no expert on comic book lore, but I was under the impression that Diana's innate abilities were about on par (give or take) with her fellow Amazons and the flying, super-strength, bullet deflecting etc. being a gift given to her after the fact (possibly tied to her armour?) I suppose it depends which version of events you subscribe to as I imagine her origin story has been re-written and re-imagined about as often as Superman's.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

They did? I have no memory of that.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^It's been a few years since I've watched JL, but I think there were a few references early on about her actually being around at the time of Ancient Greece. It also ties in with the idea that Hades was her father since--according to him--he and Hippolyta sculpted the clay figure that would become Diana together, *before* he was cast into Tartarus several thousand years ago.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

When did this topic become the Wonder Woman topic?

I thought it was about the JUSTICE LEAGUE?:p

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^I agree. Now where should they be based? Hall of Justice, Satellite, or Moon Base. I favor the satellite as it gives the impression that they are watching over the whole Earth. The Hall would be there but is basically a tourist attraction as in Young Justice.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see the Watchtower be introduced later on, maybe after the Hall of Justice gets infiltrated or something.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You really don't know much about Wonder Woman do you? Her powers are gifts from various Gods and Goddesses (Including Heracles). Her skills come from training. In previous continuities she's also the granddaughter of Ares. So she was a "quarter-god".

10. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kind of liked the GL movie, the villian wasn't so good but the origin stuff played pretty well and Reynolds owned the part. Just my opinion.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I have mixed feelings about the Hall of Justice. On the one hand, Superfriends was silly. On the other hand, the HoJ's design was based on my favorite building, Union Terminal here in Cincinnati, less than two miles from where I'm sitting. (This is because Superfriends was sponsored by Cincy-based Procter & Gamble, and the developers of the show were in town to meet with the P&G people and they were struck by the design of the Terminal.) It would be awesome if they did location shooting at the Terminal and used it as the HoJ in a movie. (The makers of Batman Forever almost used the Terminal as the exterior of the arena or convention center where the Graysons were killed, but ended up using a similar-looking matte painting instead.)

12. Nerys Myk

I like the Hall of Justice/Satellite combo. The JLA should have a presence on Earth.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, neighbor. I see the Union Terminal all the time (that is, several times a year passing by, when I drive through Cincinnati). It really stands out from I-75. I never knew they based the HoJ on it, but in retrospect it's completely obvious. That's a great tidbit.

Super Friends was silly, but I have a huge amount of nostalgia for it. I love the theme music, and the voice work was quite memorable. Somehow there is something iconic about the Hall of Justice.

14. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

That's because it was a Saturday morning cartoon for children, and I think it was more interesting to watch than spongebob squarepants, or Adventure Time. They just don't make children's cartoons they way they used to, for instance now they make it about children, when I was a kid I watched cartoons about adults, most cartoons were for kids back then, the concept of an adult cartoon didn't cross my mind back then. You got to admit the concept of the justice league is fairly juvenile.

15. Nerys Myk

Gosh, maybe because the JLA was a comic book targeted for children?

16. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

You could include the Flash but have him taken out of action early in the movie. Injury, coma, taken captive or whatever. That way you could feature the character (and his powers) but the critics wouldn't be asking, "How come the Flash can't just run up at super-speed and disarm them all?"

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or maybe just have him do that. Why not? Just have to make better villains rather than handicapping the heroes to make it hard for them.

18. Silvercrest

Okay, but I would hope that's not the resolution of the movie or it will be pretty dull.

However: if they can write a plot that logically explains why the movie can't be resolved by having the Flash disable the enemy army by himself using super-speed, or take the doomsday switch out of the bad guy's hand by himself using super-speed, or (insert more examples here) using super-speed, then I'm all for it.

It's just that an awful lot of the time, there's no reason given why he can't do these things. He just doesn't, at which point his teammates have to step in. It's just another example of the writers handicapping the hero, only in those cases they're apparently handicapping his brain. Or theirs.

19. Nerys Myk

Couldn't Superman, Wonder Woman or the Martian Manhunter do the same thing? I think all the heroes who can move at superspeed will have that power toned down in films.

20. Silvercrest

I suppose so, but they can't slow him down too much or he won't be the Flash! Also, he still has to be significantly faster than guys like Superman or else he becomes redundant.

And you may want to talk to Professor Zoom about handicapping the heroes.

(I swear, that is about the last name I'd expect to see arguing in favor of the Flash!)