The Vampire Diaries - Season 3 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

How about the nice convenience that the Salvatore family happened to be in the logging business and saved their records for the past 150 years. Until Damon burns them, rather than just burning a page...he burned the whole book.

And that the white oak was used for a local structure still standing, not hauled off to gawd knows where.

And that Damon had just mentioned Sage, knew that Rebecca knew Sage, but she reappears like the next day and he finds nothing suspicious about that at all.

And the old question, Abby goes away who pays the bills at her house, her foster son? That's right, everyone on the show comes from money and they can do whatever. The teens don't even go to school anymore. Alaric's loft, who's paying the rent...what does he do anymore besides die and murder people?

2. js

js Captain Captain

Frustrated that the only two carryover shows from previous seasons that I'm left watching have both this season suffered from Showrunner-OverCommit-itis. :( Ryan Murphy left Glee to others while he went off and made American Horror Story and now Glee is unwatchable. And Kevin Williamson left Vampire Diaries to Julie Plec who (and I can't believe I'm saying this) doesn't have Kevin's edginess with the show, so the show has gotten duller and slower by the week. It's still watchable, but getting less so. Problem is, Kevin's new serial killer pilot with Kevin Bacon is likely to get picked up which means he won't be able to return to oversee Vampire Diaries, which means it is unlikely the show will return to its heights and will instead continue to go downhill until it's almost as boring as Secret Circle. Ugh. Never thought I'd say this, but: Kevin, PLEASE come back to showrunning Vampire Diaries - the show needs you!

3. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd be happy with an episode where they notice that the international political news is getting a little bizarre and various nuclear powers are heading towards a world war and then figuring out that first witch/mamma vampire and her mama's boy son have been compelling various world leaders in order to orchestrate the total extermination of both humanity and vampires and return the world to it's natural state.

This, of course, leads the team to go to split up and go to Moscow and DC, where they track down the string-pulling vampires while being hunted by the authorities who are fully under mama vamp's control.

The season could end on a cliffhanger with Stephan (without his magic ring, having lost it when his hand was severed/blown off in an earlier fight) hurtling through space on the back of a russian ICBM warhead, desperately trying to disarm it while the sun is just beyond the horizon, it's first rays beginning to burn him.

4. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

I like that idea. A nuclear wasteland is returning Earth to its natural state. :lol:

I'm hoping the Gilberts have a Frankenstein monster stashed away somewhere...maybe a cursed mummy, too, whose lost love happened to look like, you guessed it, Elena... the dopplegangers predate the vampires!

5. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

This show needs a shot in the arm soon or I won't be back for season 4.

All the characters seem to be spinning their wheels. I actually wanted to like the magic rings make you nuts story but in the end even it fell flat.

They all need to graduate and get out of this routine. Maybe throw in some travel and a real big bad that does not doodle and is sans a baby sister that is turning into the town mattress.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Agreed, I record it Thursday Night and used to watch ASAP on Friday Night afterwork, now, I don't usually get around to it until Sunday. Something is just lacking this season (or maybe simply fallen into same old same old, gone to the same well too often). I clinging by a thread, something's got spice the show back up.

7. hyzmarca

When you're dealing with geologic timescales, a nuclear winter is just a minor hiccup. You can expect something a meteor impact or a super-volcano eruption every few million years. It's no biggie. The hard part is killing all humans, which I supposed would require channeling the initial deaths to power a genocide spell.

Also, splitting up the cast and pairing Elana with Damon instead of Stephan would be a good excuse to have Elena/Damon pegging scene with MFF.

8. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

But then aren't humans are just a slightly longer hiccup on the geologic timescale? One that will eventually end?

I'd point out that the "natural state" thing is a human perception and with all intelligent life dead, it would become as meaningless as any other concept, but we are talking about a show with undead, ghosts and witches.

9. hyzmarca

Presumably, humanity has the capability to adapt to it's environment over long periods of time and thus will be able to survive major disasters in some form or another. Generally speaking, humans are more successful than other large mammals due to the ability to develop technology, which means that eventual human extinction is not a forgone conclusion.

10. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Time for me to chime in. I actually live about an hour or a little more from the part of Virginia where this show is set. All the people are beautiful, come from money, etc., etc., etc. The truth (and I say this only somewhat tongue in cheek), is that that part of Virginia is populated by a lotta toothless yahoos who are far more likely to be angry (racist) villagers with torches who live in trailers than the sort of people this show portrays.

11. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

This show is so freaking irritating now.

"We've come up with a way to kill Klaus..."

Oops...lost because once again, he's planned ahead of them. But they killed Finn...the LEAST dangerous of the originals. Brilliant.

Bonnie is super-super witch that can undo a spell that needed many witches (living and dead) to even be performed. But Bonnie isn't super enough to say, be of any real use to the good guys most of the time.

"Send Jeremy away to protect him."

They found him within 3 months.

"We can still kill the originals."

But it may mean the end of all vampires due to bloodlines. (Good bye Cassidy Freeman...short stint guest star)

"Just kill Klaus"

Whaaa! That will kill Tyler (good riddance!).

Rebecca helps Klaus...then he reminds her why he's a dick that everyone should want dead.

They whittled 12 white oak stakes..but what did the dumb asses do with the shavings? Can't they put in bullet or something? How dumb were Damon and Stephan to tell their buds they made 12 stakes anyway. I'd have said half that number if I told them at all, which I would not have because they are bunch of damned screw-ups (and head case in Alaric's case)...not that Stephan and Damon are any better.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  12. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another boring and bland episode--I think they need to put a fork in this series--it's done. The writers have definitely run out of ideas.

Bonnie being kidnapped and undoing a spell. check. Jeremy used as leverage. check. Rebecca acting out. check. Sage being killed off since she is disposable plot device check Same thing for Finn check. Some torture scene that isn't the least bit unnerving-check. Gratuitous blood and gore check A lame dream fake out check. Some more Stefan/Elena angst present and accounted for.

The only interesting idea was the revelation that killing an Original kills off all those created from their blood through out all time.

The CW will probably renew VD--but like Supernatural it has run its course and will be downhill from here on out.

13. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Interesting because most modern takes on vampires don't use the "destroy the head vampire and they all die" angle.

It used to be a ferquently used part of the myth.

I think Klaus wasn't just telling Stephan "I gave you someone to hate"...he was speaking to the audience. But it's backfired, I hate him and find him an utter bore. Good villains make you want to see more of their dastardliness.

14. js

js Captain Captain

I miss Elijah. :( The only cool and actually scary Original.

15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very funny observation about Klaus. Like many of you guys I guess I'm a little bored with this season and I feel that Klaus has overstayed his welcome. At first I thought he was a pretty good villain, but now it just feels like the writers don't know what to do with him. Plus the show seems to be too cheap to show how different hybrids are from vampires or werewolves, which denies me at least some cool creature makeup or effects to keep me interested.

They are finally doing something with Alaric, but I still find the actor boring and I don't care.

I also wish more had been done with Cassidy Freeman. I wish she could've been a long running recurring character at least.

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Stefan is a douche. There...I used to like him. :rommie:

17. Kosh Naranek

Amen! That bloodline (Stefan/Damon/Caroline) had better run back to Elijah. Therefore giving him immunity from the pick an original to kill storyline.

If the show needs a cool, old vamp, I vote to Elijah.

If one of them has more than one brain cell to rub togehter, they grab Jeremy and turn him. They might end up in the coffin collection but they won't be dead.

Klaus and Barbie Klaus need to go. They are both stunted, vapid, boring characters.

18. Kosh Naranek

Well - slow work day.

I am going to speculate.

We know from the last ep that the original vamps know that the pack of idiots are tracing their bloodlines.

Did Stefan get an extra dose of stupid in his morning coffee? I don't know why he just divulged the info to Klaus. He could have just said that Alaric was being special and they were trying to pry out the stake info - end of convo. He let a valuable piece of info go for no reason. Who is to say that the Originals knew that their death would cause the deaths of those they created?

Up until Finn, only Mikael had been killed. Based on who he was, I doubt he turned anyone. Stefan and Co. had a front row seat to Sage and her lackey's death. That does not mean that Rebecca and the brothers would necessarily know.

None of them had died. So, they would be unaware of any consequences.

Kol should grab Jeremy and vamp him. Because, I would say that bloodline runs back to Rebecca or Klaus. (I would love it if it were Elijah, but I doubt the show runners love me that much.)

Also, what about Tyler? Yes he was vamped by Klaus, but he was already a werewolf by birth. Perhaps the end of Klaus would only end the vampire part of Tyler? (Granted we know that wolves that were not turned properly died, but who is to say that the sire going away would mean their deaths?)

I pity Rebecca but she also annoys me to no end. I would not care if she was the one who died.

Kol irked me at first, but his last outing was better. I would vote to keep him, because he is an unknown. Why kill a character we know so little about? Finn was just a plot device so no big whoop. However, introing people just to kill them is just annoying. Are we going from red shirt hybrids to red shirt originals?:guffaw:

19. Kosh Naranek

Well I guess I am going to continue to "talk" to myself in this thread. I assume the lack of interest has to do with the continued decline in show quality?

The best moment of last night's show was one final moment of bromance between Damon and Alaric before Alaric "died." For all the insanity of their relationship, Damon and Alaric really were BFFs.

Can't Klaus burn mommy dearests corpse or something? Having that chick lying around is a hazard. Plus, she was a dull as dishwater what....villianess? I don't know if she counted as a big bad, but having just watched Mikael try to kill his children, watching her trying to do the same thing lacked oomph. (Also, how bad of an original hunter was Mikael if he never managed to kill even one of his kids in 1000 years?)

So Bonnie has "activated" Esther's vampire killing machine. So I assume she know cares more for ridding the world of vampires than she does Caroline? She effectively signed Caroline's death warrant.

Is Alaric only immortal in the sense that he will continue to exist until he has killed the last of Esther's children?

Could one of the kids get a witch to undo their vamping and become human again?

I say Tyler is going to die trying to kill Klaus or that maybe Alaric Vampire Hunter kills him on his road to killing all vamps, original and otherwise?

When Klaus told Caroline she would come to him one day, I took it that she would if Tyler was out of the picture.

Bonnie's new man looks old and there is no chem between them. Also, I find it creepy that he is her pseudo brother.

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've given up on the show, but read the cliff notes for this episode (which may be longer than actually watching the episode, definitely more entertaining). :rommie: "This should make up 4 all the murder..."

Sooo...

Is this an excuse for Matt Davis to go off to his new show now?

Isn't Klaus dead yet?

I thought the big thing for the finale is that Elena chooses between the brothers. The Delena faction were salivating. Did she?