TOS "Clipper Ship"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Klaus, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It could use the same shaped tube as in the sideways movement, it would just have to be curved & tall enough.

It would have to be a turbolift designated only for the ring. Then they wouldn't need to worry about the transition.

Maybe 2 in each quarter of the ring.

As far as thinking it through, not so much. I didn't study turbolift theory ;)

2. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Cool, that does look better. :)

I don't know why the pods should be manned, though... all that's behind the deflector dishes is the the deflector hardware, right? They could use a workbee or something to go out and fix it.

Speaking of which, where is the shuttlebay going? :)

3. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Do the nacelles need to be so high up on the ring?

You've placed them so that one could draw an X through the nacelles that would have right angles, but nacelles are usually a bit closer (vertically) to the primary hull.

It'd be interesting to see a mock up with the nacelles resting a bit closer to the saucer.

My idea here is that I wonder if this would make the profile a little less chunky or squarish and create a little visual sleekness giving that sense of forward movement.

It's a cool idea - it would have been neat (and not out of place) to see a ship like this in TOS.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I'm really liking where this is going. Keep it up! :techman:

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

You might find the design comes together easier if you allow the saucer to be more Miranda-ish(though in this case it would need the raised back on the bottom as well as the top). Gives you room for the shuttlebays, some harder angles for the ring to connect to, etc.

6. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Very cool design. You could actually do all sorts of "kitbashes" with this configuration....
    3 nacelles in a Y, 2 nacelles above + regular hull below, multiple nacelles across the top, skew the ring...
    In regards to the turbolift question, perhaps smaller dorsal "fins" to each 2ndary hull?
    Maybe some teardrop-shaped fairings where the pylon joins the hull, or something styled similarly to
    the "art-deco" ribbed sensor blocks that flank the deflector on the E?.

Oh, and one question about the turbolift topic...can they actually go through a nacelle?
    (without getting cooked in the bussard-collector guts :)?)

7. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Good idea - it would also stretch the design a bit so that it wouldn't be quite as squared off.

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a go at Miranda-ishness and some central struts to ease the fears of tipped-over/irradiated turbolift occupants. It also did allow me to lengthen it, it's a little less "squared-off" now. :D

[​IMG]

9. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Cool. :) I like the connecting dorsals, but I don't know about the extension of the saucer.

Can't wait to see it finished. :)

10. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

These are all pretty cool.

I am not sure you need the center strut (with this Miranda-style version - it's easy to imagine human-accessible engineering stuff being tucked away in the back of the saucer), but it's nice.

Thanks for sharing the various iterations.

11. Klaus

ty guys! Here's a revised addition to the saucer matching the styling of the pods, allowing even more lengthening as well... :D

[​IMG]

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

still looks awesome to me :) :techman:

13. Klaus

Tweaked the addition, tapered it a bit in C4D... I like this a lot more.

[​IMG]

14. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

This is turning into a tough looking ship...

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Y'know I'm almost starting to see this as an early TOS-era prototype for the Constellation class. Definitely looks a part of that lineage now.

16. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

You know, Klaus, I was not a fan of this when you first posted it. However, it has truly grown on me. And the extended saucer makes perfect sense of support and the dorsal and ventral connectors allow for turbolift travel nicely. It's easy to envision this in the TOS era fleet. Nice work.

17. Klaus

Here's a bit of texture, mostly from the one that came w/the parts... I'll have to add the nacelle numbers in post when I do real beauty shots lol.
    I still need to add shuttlebays and detailing to the aft part of the saucer, but here's a shot for now.

[​IMG]

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty ship and background there :) :techman: