Awesome Samsung Galaxy Gear commercials

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

They cover the history of wrist communicators in movies and tv.

This one shows each example close up, with audio clips:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2AjPfHTIS4[/yt]

And the next one actually shows video clips:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qeJKax2CU[/yt]

I like how for Babylon 5 they chose clips featuring the late Michael O'Hare. I don't know if that was an intentional tribute or coincidence, but either way it was nice to see. I also enjoyed seeing Star Trek (of course), Knight Rider, Get Smart and Power Rangers referenced.

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the commercial last week and immediately posted it to the "#FreeBabylon5 Campaign" thread. I was so excited to see the inclusion of Babylon 5 among the (arguably) more famous and/or recognizable clips.

I hadn't seen the first clip you posted. Sadly, no Babylon 5, but it was really cool to see.

They keep using "Jamie Glass" as their person calling. I wonder if that's a reference/dig at Google Glass...

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I thought these were pretty cool as well. Although it does seem like a stretch to highlight a wrist communicator that only appeared briefly in one Star Trek movie from the 70s.

And I'm not sure the Predator gauntlet should really count either (although it was cool to see).

4. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

Yeah just saw it today. They're both really cool commercials, and do really highlight this as an idea we've been dreaming of forever.

Of course it's too bad the Galaxy Gear isn't a communicator watch since it needs a cell phone. Only a couple of Samsung models work at that. Great commercials, but stupid product.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it seems kind of pointless to me as well, since we already have smartphones that can do so much more, which we're already accustomed to taking everywhere we go.

The watch just seems like an unnecessary accessory.

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

No Sarah Jane? :(

7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It's meant as an extension of smartphones and tablets not a replacement.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It shows the time and sets off a small nuclear explosion.

9. Great commercial for what sounds like, at least from tech reviews, kind of a crap product. Supposedly really laggy, not a fluid user experience, and strange choices on how to handle functions that are the extension of a phone. Seems like they rushed something out the door to beat Apple to market.

But they really are great commercials. Even (sort of) knowing all the above, those commercials still make me, at least momentarily want one. Fantastic selling of the product.

By the way the Star Trek communicator in the first commercial actually has a really nice design!