The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Then the Empire builds another one with the exact same weakness. :wtf:

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yep. I mean, it was different to the extent that there was no more shaft to shoot proton torpedoes into, but there were gaping holes in the second station's incomplete infrastructure that would allow any Rebel ship lucky enough to make it to the central reactor chamber to set off a chain reaction and destroy the entire thing, and if you ask me that's a hell of a lot easier than hoping your aim at a two-meter exhaust port is good enough.

Once the shield generator on Endor was knocked out the second Death Star was doomed. Emperor Palpatine grew too cocky or too stupid (or both) with age if you ask me.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But the second Death Star didn't have the exact same weakness.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I can criticize Jedi for many things, large and small, but I'll forgive it for that. First of all, I get the impression that a station like that needs a main reactor. Second, they were still building the station. They probably would have surrounded the reactor with extra armor and shielded the exhaust port later in the construction. They made up for this weakness by creating a separate shield generated from the planet. Plus, the weaknesses in the station itself and the shield were left there as bait for the rebels anyway.

5. cooleddie74

Let's all just hope there isn't a third Death Star in one of the Sequel Trilogy films....the second one pushed credibility and storytelling freshness enough.

6. Sheridan

Sheridan Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm actually optimistic about the story to STID. If I remember correctly, wasn't the filming and production of this movie delayed so the writers could get the script "right"? This film was originally planned for 2012 right? I remember hearing stories about how long the script writing was taking. I also remember the writers saying they were taking in mind criticisms of Star Trek 2009. We also didn't have a writers strike this time which I think affected the 2009 movie in some way.

I was hoping for a more calmer Star Trek movie and that's obviously what were not getting. But an action movie isn't necessarily a mindless movie.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So after actually reading most of this thread after several days I see absolutely nothing to change my mind from what I already posted. :lol:

Some things I still shake my head over...comments that the 1 minute trailer has no shots of space??? Well the movie is 2 hrs long (120 min or so in case you weren't counting) and the teaser shows at least two alien planets...

Doesn't feel like Star Trek? We've had 10 movies before the JJ series, and they switched tone several times, from STTMP to Wrath of Khan, from the old crew to new. STIV was totally different from II and III, Insurrection was totally different from STFC. Many people feel the movies felt nothing like the original series they came from at all!

We have to take into account that Paramount wants these movies to be successful, and that has a lot to do with money... the trek series made well over a $1 billion, but they want more movies to make half a billion on their own like ST09 did (between BO grosses and home release). They need to have elements for the longtime fan, but also make the casual fans happy who are used to a certain level of blockbuster. By most accounts, professional and fans, ST09 did just THAT!

I'll re-iterate the ST ongoing comic book continuity because it seems as if it would be exceedingly easy to write it's back story in a flashback or in the teaser without ever mentioning it came from a comic book!!

"Star Trek is Star Wars"...how much starship combat did we have in ST09? Maybe 10 minutes total? Possibly less than STII the Wrath of Khan. Star Trek continues show a professional Starfleet crew using scientific methods to challenge the unknown, not some bogus Zen nonsense that appeals to history and golden ages.

The SFX...less elabroate and pervasive, but the ST09 FX looked a whole lot better than the three SW prequels. Even the current teaser has better volcanic FX in my opinion...however, just because a movie has a volcano and lava in it doesn't mean it's Revenge of the Sith...

RAMA

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

You'll never hear THAT in a Plinkett video.

9. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good post.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. Pondslider

"Trailer opens with Pike VO, telling Kirk he has courage but no humility, and someday that will get him and his crew killed."

If true it sounds very similar to some of the themes of
    Wrath of Khan.
    But quite possibly misdirection.

13. JarodRussell

Cumberbatch in a brig can only mean one thing: OMG, HE WANTED US TO CAPTURE HIM!!!!

14. dougkeenan

dougkeenan Commander Red Shirt

Is it possible the fly-over is to celebrate Kirk's birthday?

15. JarodRussell

But those airplanes form the "missing man formation", not the "happy birthday formation".

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. dougkeenan

dougkeenan Commander Red Shirt

In the old universe, maybe.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really.

19. cooleddie74

A birthday honor? Doubtful. I'm still thinking that the flyover is a tribute to a graduating class at the Academy or a funeral for a noteworthy officer of high rank. Kirk played a major role in the defeat of Nero and the Narada in the Battle of Earth and he's a hero....but I don't think birthdays warrant this kind of gathering and a full-blown flyover. He's not an Earth or Federation head of state or government or another dignitary.

20. Pondslider

London and San Francisco
    A Tale of Two Cities