Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

The Titan wouldn't surprise me since it was mentioned on screen, even if never seen, but I don't see them doing the E-F or the refit NX. Not unless they get to a point of literally being out of other ships to do (unlikely).

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

You know what slightly bugs me everytime I look on their website? This-

[​IMG]

DS9 should be before Voyager. Tsk.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Wow, not even April yet and I got my Galor class and Jem'Hadar Cruiser in the mail. Both look great!

4. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

What?! :eek:

That's really, REALLY early. Wonder how that happened.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Indeed. I was extremely surprised to find that package in the mail. All of my previous ships have arrived around the 15th of each month.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Interesting. I wonder if they've adjusted how their overseas shipping is handled. I know my card was just charged today. I am curious if I get these new ones as quickly.

7. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure what to think.

I got my replacement DS9 with an extra. And my Thunderchild magazine had a huge tare on the cover, so I asked for a replacement mag. They sent me a new mag with a new ship. Anyone else have an experience like this?

And with the DS9 model, anyone have any ideas on what kind of glue they used? Or any suggestions on how to removed the plyons?

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Here in Germany, Issues 3 and 4 (B'rel- and NX-class) finally arrived yesterday!

The subscription cards says the E-D dedication plague comes with the second delivery but it wasn't included here. I'm going to wait and see what happens.

It just occurred to me, Earth Spacedock would make a cool model as well. So far, we've only had it as a tiny Micro Machines production. (Fun fact of the day: rumour has it that the ESD in Star Trek Online might have a saucer separation. :cardie:)

9. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I got my Galor and Jem'Hadar ship yesterday, too. It was faster than normal.

Have to say, the coloring of the Galor is way too "brown mustard" compared to every other version of the Galor I've had (micro machine, Furuta) which was, well, gold mustard? It really threw me.

I think the cover of the magazine juxtaposed with the ship itself says it best:
    [​IMG]

Coloring is just... really off, imho.

As for the Jem'Hadar, I think it too could have been more purple in tone? But it's not as glaring and "Woah, wait, that's wrong" as the Galor's coloring.

Was surprised by the flatness of the Jem'Hadar ship. It always looked more stout in it's beam. I guess it's all in the angle they show it from though, as if you hold it at the proper angle it looks just right. It's one of those things you can't know about a ship until you hold it in your hands though. Which is why I love collecting Trek ships! Because you can get a feel for them in so many new ways that looking at images doesn't offer.

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also received a second replacement DS9. I thought initially it was due to my change of address between the time I requested the replacement and the time they actually shipped out the new run of DS9 models, but I've heard others say they received two replacements as well.

If you're asking how to reattached the removed pylons, I think most modeling glue would work just fine.

I'm guessing the actual issue with them becoming detached has to due with the weather at the time they were released. They're shipping from PA, so they experience extreme cold (around that time it reaching -20 F pretty regularly) which made the seams more fragile, so combine that with the rough treatment most packages receive during shipment and you've got a recipe for broken pylons. Thankfully they're easily fixed.

11. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if in fact we don't just have messed up coloring ideas because of the Micro Machines? Seeing a non-blue Excelsior or a non-yellow Stargazer just makes them look wrong to me.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

We also have to remember that, while the models may have looked a certain way onscreen under controlled lighting, some of them looked vastly different in person. I was personally shocked to see that the original TNG S1 Romulan Warbird miniature was damn near gray, with just a faint hint of green. The oversaturated green color we all saw on sceen was done either with gels over studio lighting or via color adjustment in post. It is entirely possible that some of these colors may be closer to what they were originally supposed to be than what we actually saw. I can personally attest that model builders mull over this question all the time when it comes to painting their creations. The fact that these models suffer from a similar quandary is unsurprising, and should almost be expected.

13. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The lower pylons are still not right. They are still bowed in to far. I am wanting to remove them and trying to figure out the best way to go about that.

14. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got my Jem'Hadar Cruiser & Cardassian Galor in today's mail as well. I wonder if this means we'll be charged again soon and get May's ships in mid-April, or if May's ships will show up at the end of April, or if May's will come in May and we'll have a shipless April?

15. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Yeah, unfortunately this might mean we'll go more than a month with no new ships.

16. trekker670

I haven't received my shipment yet (I haven't been home yet today), but it sounds like Eaglemoss has listened to the outcry of the subscribers due to the 3-week waiting period between payment and delivery. I was charged on 17 March, so it seems they've cut the delivery time down to under 2-weeks, which is great!

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll be charged and shipped as normal (using the new schedule) in mid/late April, especially since the US is a few month between Europe, so the products are already done, assuming they do separate runs for the various regions.

17. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're over thinking it there, buddy. That said, I got my Jem Haddar cruiser and Galor class today as well.

I'm very impressed with the detail and mold of the Jem Hddar cruiser. The question about the paint job, can be answered by looking at the various pics in the mag. Especially the centerfold profile pics. Now then look at the under belly shot. On one of the ridges, you can see the very color of grey in a "lit" area. Which means that the darker "purple" color we're used to seeing is nothing more than the color the ship would look like in the darkness or shade of space. In fact, there's another shot in the mag in an action shot that is shot with top down lighting, and the ship is about as grey as our model is here. What I have a problem with is that they left off a bit of that burnt orange paint in the rear along those curved pointy things to each side of the impulse engine.

18. trekker670

I was pretty thrilled to read that the Galor CG model got upgraded for HD broadcast. Hopefully that's a hint towards DS9 in HD, since the model was used in TNG. (I made a more detailed post in the DS9 on blurray thread in the DS9 section)

19. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That doesn't sound like a flaw, but eagle moss specific design. Unlike the real studio model they altered the angles of the lower pylons to allow for a sturdy support system. And it is distracting.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's my most hated change so far. To alter the dimensions just to (supposedly) make it sit easier is a terrible call, in my opinion. DS9 is the only one I don't have on display, instead I have all the ships around my Playmates DS9.