Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am dying to see this film...

If only I had the same anticipation for the next Trek film(s). But after the huge disappointment XI was for me, I have no interest left to see the sequel...

PROMETHEUS looks incredible! Epic! :drool:

2. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Can you elaborate on the human to egg conversion scene? Don't believe I've seen the director's cut.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

4. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    That's my take on it too. If Scott were trying to completely reboot things, I suspect he would make things more different. (Didn't the "Weyland-Yutani" name & logo originate with Cameron's Aliens?)

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a scene in the original film (director's cut only) where Ripley comes across Dallas (the captain) and Brett (one of the engineers), who are being gradually turned into eggs. Dallas begs her to kill them, which she does.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I believe the logo comes from Cameron's film; the name (spelled Weylan-Yutani) comes from Alien.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was the other way around, logo came from Alien, name from Aliens?

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's possible that the logo also appears in Scott's film, but the name definitely originates from it. As I indicated, however, Cameron's film changed the spelling to Weyland-Yutani.

Wikipedia indicates that the logo appears in the Scott film, specifically on beer cans in the movie. It doesn't have any images, though.

EDIT: Here's an image (scroll down in the thread). It looks like Cameron changed the logo for his film.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well you're always learning something new. Honestly I just assumed that since the name of "the Company" is never spoken in Alien that the name simply was't revealed until Aliens. Oh well, it's nice to be wrong sometimes.

10. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

So has it always been known that Alien takes place in 2122? I was always under the impression the dates were kept pretty vague in the Alien universe, but clearly I wasn't paying enough attention.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

13. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: MPAA rating

All those sources are just interpreting what Ridley Scott said in a recent interview. Essentially, he acknowledges that a PG-13 rating is viewed as more commercially viable by the studio. However, he also stressed that he filmed it with an R-rating in mind and will pursue that rating.

14. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

In "Aliens", Ripley makes mentions that Burke sent the message to the LV-426 on I believe 06/12/79. So taking the year as being 2179, and Ripley having been frozen for 57 years, the events of "Alien" take place in the year 2122. So it does seems Scott is paying some respect to what canon Cameron established in the series.

15. Samson88B

Samson88B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This may sound lame but you have restored my sanity. I first saw Alien when I was 9 years old. Later when I was about 14 or so I bought the novel and read it. There was a particular scene in the novel that described the "nest scene" or deleted scene.

As I read that part I could vividly see that scene in my mind as if I saw it on the movie itself. Many times seeing a movie first then reading the book often translates into you seeing images of the movie in your head as you read the book. The problem that I had was when I finally saw the movie for a second time, the nest scene was no longer in the movie. I often wondered and questioned in my head if I actually ever did see the scene or if it was just my mind putting together the scene in my head as I read the book.:rofl:

Now some 28 years later I finally found out that I was not crazy and that scene was not something I imagined in my head that was created from the novel.

Thank you very much for that link. LOL

16. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

You mean RT-01? It's a Roving transport. It was documented on the Weyland timeline

http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2012/03/weyland-industries-timeline-shows-links.html

19. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

They apparently get along very well, Scott even mentioned to Cameron that he should direct the Prometheus sequel while discussing the new movie with him.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That was an April Fool's Joke that blew up over last weekend (Cameron isn't directing a sequel).