Superman: The Reboot --- Its official

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Superman: The Reboot --- Its offcial

I think Routh's fate depends on just how much of a 'reintroduction' WB wants to do. Routh was generally liked as Superman, and could probably headline a new direction, but it was not clear from all the 'positioning' jargon what exactly WB wants to accomplish.

Personally, I think a kickass trailer featuring Routh as Superman battling (insert super-powered villain) in space, under the sea, and in the concrete canyons of Metropolis would be enough to get the average movie goer excited to see the film, reboot or not.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Its too bad Routh didn't rise to stardom like some hoped. Well I guess we Iowans will just worship Shawn Johnson

3. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Isn't his popularity confined mostly to fans of the Reeve film series? I remember there being a number of unkind comments regarding him at time.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

OT: I'm convinced that girl is a Ferengi.

5. Supervisor 194

Sure, there have been a lot of unkind comments on various message boards (what else is new?) but the general reaction to him from legitimate critics and most mainstream audiences was positive enough.

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I hope it is a good re-boot, something worthy of Superman, I doubt it though.

JF

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Mark Millar must be rubbing his hands with glee...

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if it should have the Legion of Superheroes in it? That's a better frame work to draft from than Doomsday... But seriosuly there isn't any truly stand out great superman story that I can think of that would make a decent movie? Superman is a never ending plot with the stories mushing into one another that the Death of Superman is the only real point which is singled out.

9. Supervisor 194

I doubt they'll go the Legion route--but it's a good idea.

If they want to really establish this as something different than what came before, the Legion--with its future setting, multiple heroes, etc--would certainly do the trick.

I think Geoff Johns recent Action Comics Legion arc would make a great movie--not only does it very neatly summarize the Legion into something that would be very easy for any audience to understand, but it also gives you a way to use 'reintroduce' Routh without even having to address any of Superman's usual supporting cast. Add in that it's a somewhat dark story (which showcases the 'light' of Superman to fantastic effect) and you might have something that would fit the bill for WB's mandate.

10. Guy Gardener

That was all prelude to Legion of Three Worlds, which came out last week.

"The Legion taught Superman his principles."

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

SR was not that bad (I enjoyed it not being a big superman fan). A huge mistake in my eyes that will confuse the average Joe outside the franchise that they will need to make $$$.

Superman may not be quite the man of steel WB thought.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you have to get rid of routh, simply because your adverting needs to indicate that it's "all-new", that message is confused by using the same actor who was in the film that 'failed'.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I liked Routh, and think he could have been a great Superman if he were allowed more freedom instead of justing being told to mimic Christopher Reeve. But the new movie will have to make a clean break from past efforts.

As for villains, I'm hoping for Brainiac (particularly if they use the Timm version) or Darkseid. Darkseid might be best used after the new Supes has been established. I'd also love to see a new take on Zod.

14. Guy Gardener

Routh had 5 lines.

Poor bastard was put in a corner.

15. THE CHEBB

THE CHEBB Captain Captain

Amen....

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And here I thought you wanted the "definitive" Superman film, even if that means rehashing his origin for the eight-millionth time. The definitive Superman film would include Luthor, regardless of what's happened before.

I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't mind seeing Luthor again if he were done right. They wasted Kevin Spacey as the wrong version of the character.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Catwoman being first on that list doesn't help. And TDK and Watchmen don't count, since I specifically said "prior to TDK". That they stumbled onto a good revamp of the Batman franchise isn't in question. SR was clearly a failure, or this thread topic wouldn't exist. The rest are a smattering of eclectic non-superhero films.

What fandom was already talking about before this was the fact that they don't seem to know what to do with their stable of major super-heroes. The fact that a SR sequel or reboot wasn't even being spoken of was one sign of that. Then Iron Man did big box office, and suddenly WB was talking about churning out major super-hero films with their eyes on an eventual Justice League film. Now TDK does bigger box office, and they're talking about doing all of the films as dark as possible. This pattern doesn't inspire confidence. As somebody upthread said, "monkey see, monkey do". If the next big super-hero film was a CGI Mighty Mouse cartoon, they'd be on about turning all of their super-heroes into talking animals.

18. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I think Routh did far more than that. His performance was definitely influenced by Reeve's, but he brought a lot more to the table than mere mimicry.

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds good. I don't see why Superman has to remain so earthbound on the big screen. Now with the ability to really create impressive FX and CGI, it would be cool to see Apokolips or War World.

20. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want the definitive Superman movie, not the definitive Superman and Lex Luthor movie. I greatly dislike the concept of Lex Luthor past or present. How many Superman movies have there been in modern times and how many has Lex Luthor been in?

Like I said before time to move on. When I say I want a reboot, i mean I want a reboot. Total and complete. Superman has a lot more and dangerous enemies than Lex Luthor.