Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lurok, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Okay, I'll try it, but if that's the case, then why doesn't it work using the yellow smiley?

I'll try what you are suggesting, but I've never had to do this before.

text

It looks like that's the issue, but that's interesting. Still, that's a settings issue because I've never had to do this before in any other forum that I've used that has vB software (as shown in the pic from the other forum I provided). It is what it is, though. At least this works now. Thanks for your help.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, you don't necessarily need the "About", but, you gotta have the "=" in the opening spoiler tag

I enjoyed the Pilot too (many Pilots aren't the greatest of episodes), and it is a little jarring to begin with, but, it sets things up nicely, and I think it really hurt the show's initial chances not being shown in order, thereby making an arc harder to follow.

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

^ Which is still weird to me, but I'm letting it go. I can use spoilers now, and that's all that matters to me. :)

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you for the "=" tip.

Exactly. It's settings. I say this because I have been a mod before. ;) No worries, just follow what sojourner suggested. Here, you just have to say what the spoiler is about ( or "=") using the bbcode.

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yea you're right, but the computer programmer can't have an equal sign without something on both sides of it. Or maybe I'm a little OCD.

5. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Onto Our Mrs. Reynolds (earlier episodes on Hulu are for Hulu+. But that's okay; I''ll play along and improvise. And probably make weird conclusions, which I'd likely do if I was watching it from the start anyway.

Ah, the old "too good to be true/too good to innocent babe!"

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Spock/Uhura Fan

I think really what just needs to happen, if anybody wants to do it, is just clean up the settings so that:

1. The yellow smiley that adds spoiler tags actually works. It seems like they added in that smiley and the regular spoiler tag code attached to it that pops up and wraps around the text when using it, but then the forum settings/configuration wasn't set to actually have it work when you press submit/Post/Preview.

2. Both the regular bbcode for spoilers ([ spoiler][/spoiler]) and the descriptive bbcode for spoilers ([/spoiler=whatever][/ spoiler] are setup to work. And frankly, I think if this is done, then the yellow smiley would work, which takes care of #1.

If this is done, then I think things would be okay. It does make me wonder if a couple of other things I can't do yet (embed video and use animated icons) are privilege-based or not. :confused:

-----

@Jespah - Yes, our Ms. Reynolds was a nice episode. :) But, that's not the next one up for review, is it?

7. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

It's all I got S/U fan, as I ain't payin' for Hulu+.

I'm gonna be confused (and likely confusing as well) no matter what. Don't mind me.

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I was just thinking that we hadn't had one in a while. This sounds like a great excuse to give my Blu-ray edition another viewing. :)

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Still not sure why you have any problem with spoiler functions. You're also the first to claim problems with animated icons. Maybe you should open a thread in the QSF forum. There may be something wrong with your account in general.

Embedded video support is limited. You can attach youtube clips by using

[ yt]youtube clip url here [ /yt]

That's the url for the youtube clip, don't use any embed code generated by the site.

10. Spock/Uhura Fan

If you look up thread, Shawnster said that the yellow smiley that's supposed to work doesn't work for him either. Does it work for you? That's why I asked if one of the mods could check the settings, if they can (it probably would have to be an admin).

And just because other people haven't complained doesn't mean that they are not having the same issues. I've been here almost 3 months and never said anything because I thought it had something to do with privileges since they say you get to do more as you move up the ranks. I can't be the only one that has thought that.

As for opening up a thread in the QSF, I thought I'm supposed to wait if a moderator is working on it, but perhaps it can't hurt to ask there too. Thanks again.
    ----------------------------------------

@jespah

Oh, well then I'll watch for the both of us. :beer:

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that this whole thread has turned into how to use spoiler tags it's even more derailed. Personally I'm hoping it gets closed and lurok can start a fresh clean thread with episode by episode discussions as we already have for varying shows elsewhere.

Who wants to wade through 5 pages of this to get to the topic.

12. Spock/Uhura Fan

^ teacake, I already suggested to lurok hours ago that a new thread be started since it took 4 pages/days for a review to post after the thread began. Derailment was almost inevitable in that case, and I think that's where any derailment started.

As for the spoiler tags issue, it went to PM and then came back out when a mod asked me to post here so he could see what was happening, and then suggestions flowed from there. I think it's good because I'm sure other people have had some of the same issues too.

If lurok wants to start a new thread or continue from here, then it's up to him.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

To keep it short, no, I have never had a problem using the spoiler function.

14. Spock/Uhura Fan

^ Interesting. I'll post a thread in the QSF to see what's up since some of us have/do.

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Since the spoiler code question is answered, any further comments and questions should be taken to PM or QSF. Let's get back on track to talking about the review of the show, and proceed from there.

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

And...YES!

17. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

So I've watched the first part of the pilot last night, I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, unfortunately. That's why I haven't read lurok's review yet.

Some first thoughts:

- What's with these people's language?! I felt quite disoriented during the first 15 minutes because of it. And why are the Chinese(?) bits not sub-titled?

- I feel the actor who plays the captain looks a bit too young and too shiny to be a convincing grumpy, disillusioned captain and to call the Doctor "boy".

- I had quite some laughs, but some of the humorous bits rubbed me the wrong way. "Kaylee is dead". Har har.

- I do hope the characters will develop beyond the stereotypes they appear to represent in the first 1.5 hours, e.g. the whore, the priest, the nerd, the comedic sociopath…

- I love the feel of the ship, people having to climb ladders and stuff.

- On a superficial note: I think the Doctor is cute. :D

I don’t sound too enthusiastic, do I? :alienblush:

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The language: "it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures." Chinese influence abounds in design, swear words, food and other cultural clutter. You can find translations for the Chinese words online.

I find the pilot is at it's best after you watch the whole series, the opening battle scenes are tightly woven into things to come.

Inara is an interesting character and I'm convinced (from subtle things to come) that her story is a sad one and she's doing the best she can. I always assume she is faking it as far as the sex goes. One thing I notice in Serenity the pilot is that when her customer asks after her world she is gripping her fingers in tension:

[​IMG]

Being a highly trained professional it seems this lapse, though unseen by the doofus she is in bed with, is rather telling.

I think it's a great pilot because it introduces so many elements to what is to come as well as showcasing each character rather well.

My favorite bit is where Simon is holding the agent at gunpoint but utterly freaked and Mal just rides up and shoots the dude :lol:

[​IMG]

Firefly's grease is all attitude, that's pretty much in every scene. It grows on you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  19. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

It's not so much the Chinese but the English language that is confusing to me as a non-native English speaker. These people use strange words and at times the grammar seems messed up.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :lol: I wasn't even sure they were Terrans.

Admittedly that was good.