The Five...err Four Doctors!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by trekkier, Dec 23, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, the likeness isn't that bad. If someone showed me one of those photos and told me that really was Tom Baker I'd probably say "that's one hell of a sun tan he's got."

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Huh, I just noticed Pertwee is kissing Baker's wax hand. :lol:

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Toms Website used to sell signed DVDs (it might still do) but it had a note that The Five Doctors was in fact signed by Toms waxwork...

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So why didn't Lalla sign up?

Or was she still married to Tom at that point?

5. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They weren't still married, no. Was she even approached? If the Shada footage was the only chance they had to incorporate Tom, then it made sense to relegate Lalla to that too, rather than complicate things by having Romana arrive in the Death Zone rather than getting stuck in the time eddy also.

6. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

When "The Five Doctors" was first being devised, Ward and Baker were still a couple, and the hope was that they would appear together. Then after their break-up, Ward's involvement was set aside and the plan was for Baker to appear with Lis Sladen. Then Baker dropped out, and the existing cast was re-organized. In the early script Allyn mentioned above, it was the fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane who went to Gallifrey, investigated, and discovered Borusa's villainy (with a brief tease that the fourth Doctor himself might be the villain), while the second (with Jamie), third (with the Brigadier), and fifth (with Tegan) Doctors were the ones who used the three entrances of the tower, and the first Doctor stayed in the TARDIS with Susan and Turlough. Then Baker quit and Frazer Hines turned out to be too busy with Emmerdale Farm for a full role, so things were shuffled to the version we got.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's 30 years later and who's still talking about THAT SPECIFIC week of Emmadale Farm?

Who would you pair Jamie up for romantic tryst with?

Tegan or Sarah Jane?

(Susan was still married. According to the novelization, she'd just popped out to the go to the supermarket when the time scoop got her.)

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah, that always makes me smile.

9. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is pretty funny - but I have to admit - the original Doctors, with the exception of the Fifth Doctor - were not exactly the most handsome lookin' guys on the block. Although Baker does strike me as having that kind of Robert Plant quality.

But that's hilarious with them posing with a wax dummy.

I'd still love to see all the remaining living Doctors all get together - even if it's just a promo thing - still be kinda neat.

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    [Shatner]FFFFFAAAAAAAAARRRRRMMMMMM!!!!!!!![/Shatner]

Tom Baker has enough height and girth to overshadow anyone!

It certainly sounds interesting. I'd especially like to see how things would have turned out differently with the 2nd/Jamie & 3rd/Brigadier pairings. (Wasn't Jo Grant originally supposed to be with the 3rd Doctor as well?) But would the 4th Doctor really have ended up with that much more screen time than what Davison ended up with in the final version? Often, when I watch Davison in those scenes, I can totally hear Tom Baker saying the lines. ("Kinda" is another Davison story that was originally written for Tom Baker. It's an interesting exercise in contrasts between the two Doctors. Davison gives sincere, pointed line readings to lines that Tom Baker would have thrown away in an endless stream of facetiousness.)

11. Brendan Moody

During the brief period between Frazer Hines having to back out and Tom Baker leaving the project, they were looking into the possibility of having Jo with the third Doctor, but that was only a couple of weeks, so I doubt anything was scripted.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plus Katy Manning was in Australia, so I doubt the checking out went much beyond:
    "What about Jo?"
    "Let's try Katy Manning's agent. Oh, he says she's in Australia."
    "Ok, forget that..."

13. Brendan Moody

Actually, there was a hope that enough money was available to fly her from Australia, although I don't know how far that went before Tom backing out changed everything again. And looking back at the article on Shannon Patrick Sullivan's invaluable site, I see that there was a version of the script where the second Doctor was with the Brigadier and the fourth Doctor with Sarah; I don't know whether Jo was in that script or not.

14. diankra

Certainly, Sarah was originally with 4, so I'd guess any serious thought of using Jo came in the brief gap between losing Jamie and losing Tom: the Brig moves from 3 to 2, leaving 3 in need of a companion until Sarah becomes available to pair with him.

15. Brendan Moody

Right; I'm saying I don't know whether, in that brief interval, Dicks would have re-scripted the third Doctor sequences to add Jo prior to getting confirmation that she would actually appear, or if he would simply have re-written the second Doctor sections to replace Jamie with the Brig and left the third Doctor/Brig material as a placeholder until things were settled.

16. diankra

Gotya. From what I recall from putting the 5 Doctors InVision together there weren't any script pages or similar involving Jo... if I can find the right box I can double check sometime, as there's loads of stuff buried there!

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I would too. Does anyone know whether the previous versions of the script still exist? Is there a chance we'd ever be able to read them, or are they lost to time?

Mr Awe

18. diankra

I don't think Terrance Dicks keeps much old paperwork (not enough room for it and a family back in the old days), so only if they're at the BBC written archives.
    They certainly weren't at the BBC Script Unit or they'd have been found when it shut down in 1991 (or were destroyed when it was - only one final copy of each script was saved for archiving)... during that last week, you couldn't move for cult TV fans taking their last chance to raid every filing cabinet in search of anything they could find. That's when I found the first reference to the Six Doctors working title and - foolishly - assumed it was just a typo).

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Thanks for the info. I guess we can only hope!

20. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NOTHING is ever lost to time...

Except Gallifrey. (Which is where the scripts were probably stored.)