How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I just had a thought: If the show is "How I Met Your Mother", and he's supposed to be telling his kids the story of all the situations that led to meeting the mother, then the wedding we finally meet the mother should be Robin's wedding, not Barney's.

My thoughts for this is because we meet Robin in the pilot episode. At this point, Barney and Ted had already been friends for 4 years, and that would be a more natural starting point for the story.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Unless he feels that meeting Robin was the moment that got him 'ready' to meet their mother, starting him down that path? Before Robin, was just treading water, not making any progress down that road? Or had to explain that dating Robin is what made Barney ready to date his wife, leading to the wedding where Ted meets the mom. then had to backtrack and explain how Robin came into the picture...

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. It will make the entire series make far more sense if it is Barney and Robin's wedding. We'll find out in a few weeks.

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I sure hope so. I don't know why, but for some reason I just feel Barney and Robin should be together. It just feels right.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's going to commit to Robin and then find out that Quinn is preggers.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping this season finale is a spur of the moment wedding between Barney and Quinn but they don't go through with it and that's where Ted meets the Mother.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't that mean this is the last season? I guess I always had the thought that when Ted meets the Mother that's it. We don't see the dating process, engagement all of that.

It's And that's when I met your mother... show over.

But, again, that's what I always thought they were going for.

8. tighr

I agree, but I think at this point in the show the fans are so invested in the characters that we would feel short-changed to not get to know this woman that future-Ted is so in love with.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree. I think it's a fine line. I know, personally, I don't want to see a season of Ted and the Mother maybe or maybe not getting together (we know they do) It's How I Met Your Mother, not How I Wooed Your Mother.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Well, we know they did film a revelation scene with the kids (you know, before they got too old). So my thinking is once the mother is revealed, that's it, shows over.

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it looks plausible that Barney and the stripper will soon break up. Of course it is also plausible that she will quit being a stripper for Barney and she will be revealed as the wife. If Robin doesn't end up with Barney, where else can her character go? That seems like the only path for her from here. Whoever the wife turns out to be, it all comes down to the one hour season finale. The next two weeks can't go by fast enough.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Is it certain that the wedding takes place the end of this year? Couldn't they extend that revelation to next year?

13. Guy Gardener

Depends if they care if the first kid is a bastard.

We should be beyond those things by 2012.

14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's any way for this relationship to suceed, it just isn't right. Barney's not happy with who she is, and she's neither willing to change nor happy with who he is. The relationship might be a step forward in Barney's life, but it can't last.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Honestly.. i don't know what to make of this show anymore concerning the metaplot.

They have long lost the perfect timing to reveal the mother and stretched out the show because it was so popular.. Segal has publicly said that he's kind of fed up with the role and wished the show to finally end (paraphrased.. he didn't exactly say it like that but it was close and unmistakeable) and i'm watching out of "tradition" and not because i need to know how the story unfolds.

Now they've squandered nearly an entire season again with sideplots and everything else besides working in a feasible way towards the season finale which they hinted at in last seasons' finale and now they have 44 minutes to get everything together in a reasonable and believable way?

They've torpedoed the relationship between Barney and Robin for good.. since their "breakup" storyline there was no development and it seems the stripper relationship won't be here to stay so i guess the only option is to do a 180 and reignite the Barney/Robin thing and in the final moments reveal the mother.

I don't have any hopes that this will be brilliant much less believable.. at worst i hope to get a few laughs out of it.

I'll continue to watch the show until it ends because it does make me laugh occasionally but the plot is done and overcooked.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Tonight's the 1-hour season finale. I wonder what kind of twist or revelation they'll give us this time.

17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here is my guess... They'll reveal Barney's bride in the last two seconds of tonight's finale and it'll be neither Robin nor the stripper (I never even bothered to remember her name) and the first several episodes of next season will take place at the wedding/reception and will work out how Barney hooked up with her. Ted will meet at least two women at the wedding and then he'll spend the rest of next season going back and forth between them. The true mother won't be revealed until the very last scene of the series finale next year.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ That's a pretty good way to go about things. I was wondering if it were possible to introduce the mother without the audience knowing it was her and that fits the bill.

19. tighr

Another way they could do it is go ahead and introduce the mother tonight or early next season, but not have Ted actually meet her. Spend all of next season getting to know the mother through Barney/Robin/Marshall/Lily flashbacks until one of them decides to set her up with Ted in the series finale.

Officially, they will have met in the series finale. Unofficially, we will have known her the whole season. Hilarity can ensue with them not meeting each other for a year despite knowing all of Ted's friends.

20. Guy Gardener

Is it just me or, since Avengers, is Robin like 10 times hotter?