Would you watch a Zatanna based tv show?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Othello, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

The folks over at Smallville certainly nailed the look for the Zatanna character for the upcoming episode featuring that character. If the episode is good and you like the character , would you watch a series based aroun her character??

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know. She's kind of been done to death lately.

3. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

If they're keeping the Zatanna that they picked for Smallville: MOST LIKELY (just look at the pics!).

Otherwise... probably not.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

No matter how she is portrayed on the show they would need some type of hook.
    I see a Zatanna show as Dresden Files with a female lead at its core. Well that and fishnest vs trench coat so I imagine more would stick with it for longer just for that. ;)

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

No, I wouldn't.

Such a show would follow the same pattern as too many other shows these days. The female lead would wear skimpy outfits leading people to complain that the show is sexist when in reality she'd be running around manhandling guys twice her size, being utterly infallible, never losing a fight and being 100% perfect while her male cast mates screw up routinely, keep "dark secrets", cheat on their girlfriends (or beat them up), lose their shirts every week and all of the other usual tactics.

"But it's not sexist because she's wearing fishnets!"

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I could see this show as a good lead in to Supernatural. Perhaps even a little darker than that show. Season one could have her searching for her father who disappeared with the reveal of the big bad at the very end. This would allow us to get some great magic based DC characters on screen that probably otherwise will never appear. Dr. Fate, Etrigan, and the list goes on.
    I would save the fishnets for her on stage stuff and give her something a little more aggressive for her magic battles. Would definitely watch.

8. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Exactly what I was thinking. It has the potential to be a great supernatural type series, something almost like a Vertigo title come to screen. Guest characters like Fate would just make me want to watch such a show even more.

9. Othello

I know I would watch. Not only is the lady who plays the character pretty much perfect in the looks department the Zatanna character and concept intruiges me. I like the take Icemizer laid out as well.

I'd be a regular viewer for sure....

10. Othello

BTW- Aragorn if you are reading this I would like to nominate the lovely Ms. Swann for a GBOW spot. It would easily be a thumbs up for me!! :>))

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Erus! Yhw ton?

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: - great reply!

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd absolutely watch. Zatanna is a great character. I've had some of the same thoughts as others have expressed regarding the best way to make a Zatanna movie or TV series: The Dresden Files is something that sprang to mind for me, too, as was the notion of bringing in a lot of DC's supernatural characters like Etrigan and the Phantom Stranger, and that Zatanna should just wear her comics costume during her stage show.

I think it'd be best if it was a horror/fantasy, rather than a costumed superhero show.