Venture Bros 3x13 (Grade and Discussion)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Thespeckledkiwi, Aug 23, 2008.

?

Grade "The Family that Slays Together, Stays Together - Part Two"

1. Go Team Venture

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Good

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Above Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Average

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. That Traitorous Phantom Limb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Go Team Venture! It's the season finale!!!

As usual, adult swim has the video here.

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted good, though it wasn't a phenomenal episode. Not as spectacular as previous finales. I am looking forward to next season, which hopefully isn't too far off.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted "good". A bit of a letdown after the set up of last week.

TheBolianChef
    , since I kinda taken a claim to doing VB grading threads, please ask if I will be around to do one before setting up your own before the episode airs. It is only polite. :)

4. Thespeckledkiwi

I thought you were away. You usually post it on Friday :p

5. Broccoli

No biggie. I usually try to get it by Saturday at the latest. :techman:

6. Thespeckledkiwi

Now I know. Sorry.

Thought since it was a season finale, you would have it up by Friday morning :lol:...

I thought the episode was a major letdown.

7. Broccoli

It was. Last week's was just non-stop action with a pretty interesting plot. This week, everything came to a screeching standstill. The revelation at the end that the whole thing was a set-up by Cocktease was interesting, but seemed to come out of nowhere (mostly because we haven't seen the character since early in the previous season).

But the real question is, who blew up H.E.L.P.er and possibly killed Number 24. My guess is one of the Moppets, but that'd be too obvious and I give the creators more credit than that.

8. neovoid

neovoid Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Monarch blew up H.E.L.P.er to get the Doc.

9. Thespeckledkiwi

The major problem I had, while the ORB was a McGuffin, the fact is that they were playing up the family very much this season and not to have anything really resolved or talked about at the end was a major, major let down.

10. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

^toldja the orb was gonna be a McGuffin

11. Broccoli

No. True, he strapped the explosive on H.E.L.P.eR, but Dr. Girlfriend left the detonator on the cocoon when she left to help Monarch after he put on his suit.

True. This season had no real focus or direction as opposed to seasons 1 and 2.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Average. Felt more like a early/mid season episode than a season finale. And the ending left me feeling "And the point of this was...." I'm thinking the last three episodes was nothing more than a long winded way of getting to the whole Brock quits revelation at the end of the show.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  13. neovoid

neovoid Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thanks, I thought it was on a timer. So nevermind :P

14. Broccoli

Nope. Dr. Girlfriend had a detonator and the episode made a point to show it being left behind.

15. V

V Commodore Commodore

yes

It was good but not phenomenal as in the past

***I think the thing is that before, a season was an individual unit

but seasons 3 and 4 got ordered at the same time; so overall, while season 3 was great and DID advance storylines, it didn't bring any major climax....but then again, because we should kind of think of "Seasons 3 and 4" as one long season, and I get the impression after this that many of our questions will be answered in season 4.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

What. The hell was that.

After spending a dozen episodes building up a number of storylines, we got precisely zero resolution on any of them.

What did Girlfriend whisper to the Monarch in 2X13?
    What's up with the Murderous Moppets?
    Is Dr. Quyum (sp?) Rusty's sister?
    Is the angry teenager Brock's son?
    Is Jonas Venture alive?
    What is the Orb?
    What is the history of the Guild?

Not to mention the fact that Jonas Jr and the Order of the Triad are neither seen nor mentioned in this finale. Where the hell was Orpheus? Or even Triana? Why didn't they call them for help? Why didn't they call Jonas Jr?

So the entire bit of Brock being hunted by the OSI was really just Cocktease taking out competition? A decent twist I suppose but what the hell? It just steals the entire Orb/Guild/Jonas Sr story away!

17. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

The Cleaner was brutal.

Marching the clones out to die...huh?

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, what the hell was the point of sending out an army of mindless clones who can only manage to walk in a straight line? As a distraction?

Also, after a season building the story of Monarch not being allowed to arch Rusty and Hatred doing it instead... we end up with Monarch back to arching Rusty and no resolution on the Hatred storyline.

And after a season of showing more and more of the original Team Venture... they don't appear, either.

Now I'd wish I'd read spoilers to lower my expectations. After "Orb" I was really getting excited on where it was going.

19. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For those that think that the finale didn't tie up enough loose ends, Jackson Publick says on his blog to remember that they have left a lot of breadcrumbs on the ground this season...and they still have a season four to pursue those leads. I think the ORB and all that related stuff will be dealt with then. Perhaps this was a way to get Brock out of the OSI so that if Venture tries to use the ORB, then he isn't automatically required to kill him.

20. Broccoli

That the Guild was the one that made her make Monarch stop henching Venture.

That they are psychotic and want to kill anyone. I think this was meant as more of a side-gag than an actual plot line.

No.

Yes. This was confirmed. Brock just doesn't know.

Dunno...this has been speculated since the first season and probably will be until the last one.

A McGuffin.

Is there really much of one? It started as a group trying to do good for man-kind, then evolved into an organized labor union for villainy in 1910.

That was the point. It was a bait and switch.