Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Despite all the new challenges, I'm still enjoying the game. Even if I did just lose all my diamond tools when I found the one di
    rt block that was above a lava pool. :(

So is the server still going?

2. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

That's rough. And it's happened to me more times than I'd care to admit. You'd think by now I'd have learned to remember to never dig straight down or to look before I jump. Fortunately, one can always find more diamonds - after one puts in the time, that is. :lol:

Personally, I just completed a harrowing project building a minecart station and Nether Portal inside the Nether roughly thirty blocks above a massive lava ocean. The connecting track was no picnic, either. Fortunately, I only fell once and prepared myself for such an occurrence by switching to plain iron armor and iron tools. I ended up losing a couple stacks of cobble, a bow and arrows (and the armor), but it was a relatively small price to pay.

3. Cutter John

Woot! Caught my first pair of horses, a grey and a brown.

annoyingly colts don't like to be lead around on a leash. If one falls into a one block deep indentation, good luck trying to get them to jump out. Figures too, since they were the ones with the most attractive markings.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, still up and running great. Just not on 1.6. Still running on 1.5. I dunno how long it's been, but we started a new world. Red6Alpha and I started up a little town. We found a Jungle Temple and made that the center of the new town.

The warp is World3

5. Cutter John

Figures. In both my previous games I was ass-deep in saddles and horse armor. This one? One lousy saddle to go with the lack of nether fortresses. Man I really must have rolled a two when the game generated this world.

6. Cutter John

I got fed up with the lack of nether fortresses and started up a new world (That's 4 so far).

Looks like I've struck gold on this one. There was a plain village just a short walk away, and two biomes over, a prarie with every color horse imaginable, and even plenty of donkeys! Now I just need to gind that second saddle, and some gold so I can start my breeding program.

7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, all the work I've put in means nothing?! :p ;)

8. Greylock Crescent

You know, as much as I love the game, that's my biggest complaint about Minecraft: most of the new updates require you to head off and find areas you've not yet explored - after encouraging you to explore as much of your world as possible (to find, say, horses).

I've invested a lot of time in my current world, and I'd rather not just restart the whole thing just to partake in a few new goodies (like horses, or chests in Nether Fortresses, perhaps new biomes / mobs in future updates, etc.).

9. Cutter John

At least this time I struck pay dirt.
    There was a Nether fortress fairly close that's just chock full of chests with lots of saddles and horse armor. I could hear a blaze spawner somewhere nearby, so my next mission is to go in and try and score some blaze rods.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  10. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been playing my world since alpha and I see those new things as an opportunity for adventure. I had to travel 5km out to find horses recently and then had to drag two of them back home through a huge taiga forest. Thankfully, on the way I discovered a ravine with a dungeon embedded in the wall, and that had two name tags and some horse armour in it. I also had to head out into unexplored areas of the nether to get quartz. I find such expeditions to be a fun break from the usual Minecraft routine.

What I don't like is that they insist on objects like saddles and horse armour only appearing in dungeons. Those are functional items and should be craftable, dungeon loot should be used for special objects like normally unobtainable enchants. I thought they were moving in the right direction when they made Thorns III only obtainable from dungeon chests, but then they pulled this crap again with the horse stuff.

11. B.J.

^ You can also get a saddle by trading with a butcher, but it is a rare trade.

12. Greylock Crescent

That's a good point. Now, if only I hadn't gone all over my world populating maps, then I wouldn't have to go so damn far for the new stuff! :lol:

13. Cutter John

Man this worlds really taken off. I've been breedign mules, and just healed my first zombie.

14. Greylock Crescent

I've tried starting a new world a couple of times, but considering how much I've invested in building and exploring my current one, I just don't see the reason to change - even if it's got almost no villages, temples or Nether Fortresses within striking distance.

15. TheGodBen

I actually edited my save file so I'd have large biomes, so I had to travel 13km just to find lily-pads. I like the large biomes because they feel more natural to me, and it certainly turned a mundane activity into an epic quest. But still, it was 4 real days of walking. Hopefully horses will make such journeys shorter in the future.

I feel the same way. My world is the first world in which I played survival Minecraft, and I was so noobish when I started it that I had to look up online how to chop down my first tree. I spent my first night in a small wooden shack on a beach, in complete darkness because I didn't even have torches. That shack became a small wooden house, then a run-in with a creeper encouraged me to upgrade it to a cobblestone house. I built a second story, then I expanded it into a keep, that keep became a fortress, and that fortress formed the centre of a village.

I've tried playing on multiplayer servers, and I've tried starting new worlds, but whenever I think of something new to build I always end up wanting to build it in my main SP world. Hopefully the game will keep me coming back for many more years, because I'd love to see how different my world will be at the end of this decade.

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

So, I started a new world and I didn't get any flint. Seriously? Is that just bad luck? Good thing I activated the bonus chest, otherwise I wouldn't have had much to work with. Looks like I'll have to go find some flint, but it will be hard with not many torches.

17. B.J.

So the 1.7 snapshot dropped today, and it looks sweet! Lots of new biomes, new flowers, a few new blocks, new stuff to fish for, and many other changes. I'm going to need a new world to play around with this one.

18. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

NewWorld4?

:p

19. TheGodBen

I'm liking the new biomes, but I hope they take this as an opportunity to add some new biome-specific mobs. The ice-spike biome is calling out for a hostile yeti mob, and there could be ogres or something in the podzol forests. And passive mobs shouldn't spawn in every biome, finding cows and such in a jungle is a little silly. Even skin variants would go a long way to adding some variety, such as pigs with boar skins in forests and woolly-looking cows in snow biomes. There's something like 16 different variations of horses in the game, why not show the other animals some love?

20. B.J.

^ I agree with you there about more biome-specific mobs, but I have no problem with the cows and pigs being just about everywhere. Actually, now that I think about it, about half the existing mobs already spawn in specific areas. But I would like some skin variants. Actually, since my computer does much better when I install Optifine, I have the capability to add multiple skins for each mob, it's just a matter of finding (or making) ones I like.