Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

2. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

:lol: :techman:

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Did Minecraft get a new renderer? I logged in for the first time in month after updating the game and texturepack and I'm finding that it's not loading textures properly. But for some reason it seems to be loading chunks faster.

4. Robert Maxwell

Yes, the rendering system was heavily modified or rewritten. There were clipping/tearing/edging issues all over the place when 1.5 was originally released. Most of them have been fixed, as far as I know.

5. Owain Taggart

Figured something had gone on. Now it seems totally random or not whether textures will load or not. In some cases, the main menu after logging in won't even load. Seems rather unstable.

6. Robert Maxwell

Oh, now I remember! They changed the texture system to use individual image files instead of one big file. This was so they could have flexibility in the number of texture images. So, textures made for 1.4 and earlier simply won't work under 1.5 at all. There are some programs that can convert back and forth, I think, but I don't have any links handy.

7. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I've done a bit a searching and apparently you don't need MCPatcher in order to use HD texture packs any longer. Yay! Maybe that's what was causing the problems as I was patching and it didn't like it. This certainly simplifies things.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Wow. I just recently tried to login myself after a long time away and, after running the latest patch, apparently whatever new rendering engine they're using, my video card is too old to support it. :(

9. Robert Maxwell

What kind of video card do you have?

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Disregard - all it took was an updated device driver. Working great now! :)

11. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems to be invading more games....
    [​IMG]

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I came across this game called StarMade on reddit recently and thought you guys may enjoy it as it's basically Minecraft in space. You start with enough resources to build a small spaceship, you can explore, mine, fight pirates, and use what resources you gather to build bigger ships or bases. It's still in alpha and clearly needs a lot of work, but it's free for now and fun to play around in for a few hours.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt_DS10OGho[/yt]

13. Greylock Crescent

^ Thanks for sharing that. I may have to invest some time playing around with it. In the meantime I'm actually looking forward to the MC 1.6 update.

14. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've actually started playing again with 1.6 and been enjoying it so far.But man, they've really buffed the monsters. Skelli's are rapid-fire killers, and zombies are everywhere!

Not that I mind the challenge. I just hate the how the zombies can somehow manage to slaughter whole villages when I'm not around to protect them. Makes it really hard to go exploring or caving. Hopefully Villagers will start protectign themselves better by 1.7. Or at least stay inside til all the undead have burned

15. Greylock Crescent

Yeah, the new zombie hording is insane. Though, if you create a cactus fence around you, it's fun to watch them pushing each other into it. Caving has become a real hazard though, even at easy or normal levels. I almost wish they'd scaled the mob buffs (zombies and skeletons) to game difficulty.

Still, the horses, hay, carpets and colored clay have made things very interesting in terms of building up existing bases.

16. Cutter John

Yeah, I'[m looking forward to taming and breeding my first horses. I captured one briefly, but then was promptly killed by a Creeper out on the middle of nowhere, got lost, and had to restart the game.

So at this point, I'm going to pack up all my useful supplies and head cross country to find a new Village. At which point I'm going to recreate The Walking Dead, build about a hundred fenceposts and turn the place into a fortress.

Until then, I'm going to sleep as soon as the sun sets.

17. Owain Taggart

I haven't played in forever, but these changes... yikes. I have a feeling they'll be scaled back like the Endermen. Ideas often look better on paper, and this looks like one of them. They should at least scale back the difficulty.

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the zombie hoard mechanic, zombies needed a unique ability to make them a threat and now they have strength in numbers, which makes sense for zombies. My one caveat is that baby zombies should be nerfed. They appear to be as strong as adult zombies which isn't fair as they're faster and have smaller hitboxes, which is especially annoying when they're on fire.

I don't like the change to skeletons. I can see why it was done, but it just makes meleeing them a chore.

Horses are neat, but their speed draws further attention to the game's annoying rendering errors. Mojang really need to focus on fixing the existing bugs in the game before introducing new features that make those bugs seem worse.

19. Cutter John

Fencing in villages as soon as I find them seems to do the trick. Although I notice my game lags very badly when a zombie swarm appears along the fence line.

Mining has definitely gotten a lot scarier, with all the monsters becoming a lot more dangerous and doing a lot more damage. I find myself dying a lot more.

My only real gripe with the baby zombies is that they don't catch fire during the day.

For now, I'm hoping to find a Nether Fortress so I can start collecting brewing supplies. Sadly it seems I picked the one spot to build my portal that's totally fortress free.

20. Greylock Crescent

^ I've always had issues finding Nether Fortresses. I had to wander thousands of blocks just to find one (no easy task, even when you've got some enchanted diamond armor) - and even then, there's no guarantee it'll have some Nether Wart for you.

And the baby zombies. They freak me the hell out. :lol:

Oh, and yes, my FPS often suffers mightily with the latest updates. The zombie swarm is a common culprit.