The Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gojira, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yep, the best of both worlds! :lol:

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Bump

Hah, good for Raj, I'm glad; he deserved this. :D

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I bet Howard feels left out! :lol:

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

He was drunk so I hope he remembers it!

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Raj didn't deserve this.

He was still sober (enough) when she said she still wanted Leonard.

Little dude should have ran.

There was no polite way to get out of sex by that point because she was looking, howsoever so briefly, for a Leonard substitute to fill her Leonard sized vaccum in her hart, not the Leonard sized vacuum in her vagina, not that Penny was in a right mind enough to cotton the difference.

He allowed her to take advantage of him in-so betraying his friendship with Leonard... Though the "You're Star Trekking with my sister" seems like a sound defence for anything he happened to do with Penny.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

They may be friends, but they're definitely not the "bros before hos" type of friends. They're horny nerds praying for a girl to not reject them.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, they never get the details right on the geek moments, always makes everything feel less than sincere as far as "geek cred" goes on the show. The writers are obviously not really in tune with what they are writing.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Or the art department wanted a more striking visual.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Then they could have used one of the TNG destruct sequences to go with it?

10. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Hmmm.....It depends on what part of the culture you're talking about. I can see where you're coming from with regard to the sci-fi references. But, speaking as someone who spent six years in grad school for an astronomy degree, I think many of the physics/academia jokes that were sprinkled into the earlier seasons of the show (mostly Season 1) are quite smart.

Unfortunately, they've moved away from that in the later seasons. The show is still funny, but the jokes are less smart. The humor has definitely gone in a more "mainstream" direction.

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

And it's unavoidable. As soon as the production company and the network financing it realize they've got a hit show they'll try and maximize its profit potential.

As soon as BBT broke out as a hit show the "fringe" element of scientific jokes which many "nerds" watching the show understood (at least superficially) they are, arrogant as it sounds, too much for a mainstream show. 14 year old Valley Girl probably never heard of String Theory or anything physics related and would just hope they'd cut that science crap out and focus on some funny stuff and because there's a shitload of Valley Girls and other types and they outnumber the nerd population by a huge margin the focus of the show gets changed.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Kirk's name is more iconic.

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Definitely. Of course, that's like trying to tell a historical tale about Hannibal's march, but having them ride T-Rex instead of elephants because they're more memorable ;)

14. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

So very true! I can't stand what they've done to the show. The first couple of seasons were awesome. Now it's just 'watch the nerds try to navigate a complex social space'. Not interesting and not funny.

15. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Just recently started.to watch the show on rerun
    Is it sad that when i saw the.time machine episode.recently I noticed.they got the year kirk stole the romulan cloaking device wrong...Sheldon. said it was 2328. Clearly wrong yet no one corrects.to 2267 or68 etc. I assume others picked up .when.first ran but cant find the threads

16. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, you should be on the show! :)

17. FPAlpha

Except Sheldon would meticulously care for proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Reacting to this post would include several pages of dictionary proof and then even more on the topic itself :lol:

18. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Autocorrect on a kindle leads to many errors:lol:

19. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

not for nothing but these guys have gotten to sleep with some pretty decent women. even Raj (or at least he made out with one)

20. FPAlpha

Just saw the unaired pilot and damn that was different.

You could see elements that would make it into the final show pilot (such as Sheldon explaining why their dinner table in the restaurant was their place in exactly the same style as he would claim his spot on the couch) but others have been completely dropped such as supporting character Gilda, a female fellow researcher with a kind of overexcited bearing (much like Amy a few seasons later) who has a crush on Leonard.

Some character traits have also been dropped such as Sheldon being able to get aroused by looking at large women's buttocks (he and Leonard donate sperm to get cash for dinner) or having slept with Gilda at a previous time on a convention.

Penny was also not in this pilot but rather a totally different character called Katie (played by a different actress too) and i must say i prefer Penny much more than this character (a run of the mill attractive girl with issues).

It's interesting to see this and how a show can evolve.. maybe i'm looking at it with a biased mind but i dare say the show wouldn't have gotten off the air with that pilot. It was a run of the mill comedy and the elements didn't quite work together so i'm happy it turned out like it did and we are into 6th season with no end in sight.