Vedic Winn

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by garoo1980, Jun 3, 2011.

1. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi everyone. I think I was too young to really appreciate DS9 when it was on, so I've started now. I'm just finishing up the first season and overall its better than I thought. Not great, but ok. And I have heard many people say the show gets better and better

Anyway, just finished "In the Hands of the Prophets" and all I can say is I HATE Vedic Winn. Which is no doubt the idea.

So spoiler free if you don't mind, but please tell me she gets it in the end? Something terrible happens to her eventually right?

2. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, you're supposed to hate her. And, spoiler-free, she does, after a fashion, get what's coming to her in the end. (Elaborating further would require spoilers, so I'll stop here.)

3. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Perfect! Now I can continue hating her happily :)

4. little sister

little sister Cadet Newbie

Oh, yes, Winn is someone you will love to hate!!!

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just to expand upon things a little, Winn isn't entirely a hate figure. Yes, at that point in the show she is consumed with a lust for power but, like almost all the characters on DS9, she's not as simple as she first seems. There will be times when you hate her and there will be times when you will sympathise with her, so don't pigeonhole her just yet. ;)

Few characters on DS9 are completely black or white. Except Garak, he's pretty easy to read. :shifty:

6. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

she saves the universe at the end.

7. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Winn starts out as a political personality, right? Her character starts dabbling in more, though. The politics are soon overshadowed by other stuff even easier to hate...

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    The Winn is arguably one of the best long-term series villains in Trek, though I'm not a fan of character or actor. If you be hatin', teacake will come and get all Vedic on your ass. :)

9. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'm in the sixth season and I was just thinking about how much I hate her too! But I do think that she's a good villain and very understandable.

10. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have never sympathized with her.

She was an evil, opportunistic bitch who only wanted power, and was willing to -- and DID -- sell out people and commit horrid acts to achieve her selfish ends.

She is a horrid person.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, I had assumed that she was on a redemptive arc around the fifth season when she started to work with Sisko and stopped being such a pain. It wasn't until her and Dukat had that over-the-top evil scene at the end of Strange Bedfellows that I realised she wasn't going to end up as a good guy.

12. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No Spoilers, but I love to hate Winn...

13. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I hated her and she got her just deserts in the end.

14. bluemoves

bluemoves Ensign Newbie

Winn is my favorite villain in all of Star Trek. I also think Louise Fletcher is a great actress. Hang on -- Winn will get what's coming to her!