Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, neither side was in the right here. (at least without knowing what authority the guards had to use deadly force), but Coulson and friends were definitely in the less defend-able condition.

What if the intel had been wrong and this turned out to just be a warehouse for expensive art? "oh, we were just trying to save a girl's life, our bad. We good here?"

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, there's no basis for assuming this was a private facility; all we know is that it wasn't a SHIELD facility. It was clearly some kind of top-security government or military operation. I mean, they had an alien corpse in their basement. This is Men- in-Black stuff, not a private hospital.

Ah, good point. So it could be a Kree, and thus a GotG tie-in.

Guards in a warehouse would not use code phrases and countersigns like that, or deny an urgent plea for medical attention just because someone couldn't give the proper countersign. And they wouldn't pre-emptively fire machine guns at people who were repeatedly saying "We're seeking medical aid" in eminently reasonable Clark-Greggian tones.

It makes no sense to say that Coulson's actions were less justifiable. They knew this was the place where Coulson was treated. They knew it was a medical facility, and they went there seeking medical help. When their desperate pleas for lifesaving aid were rejected, they broke in because they had no other option. And then they were fired upon quite aggressively by guards who ignored their continued pleas for medical aid, and only then, when they were in mortal danger themselves, did they defend themselves. They acted without malice and with a desire to preserve life. The guards, on the other hand, were willing to kill -- and deny medical aid to a dying person -- in order to preserve their secrets. I know whose priorities I have more sympathy for.

3. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah....Torts class. I KNEW you were going to lead with that hypo.

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Coulson and his team trespassed on private property, broke in and murdered two men to save their special snowflake. Coulson might bitch about Shield but he and his team (and Garrett) proved they're not much better.

Coulson and his team have access to non-lethal weaponry (the night-night gun) and chose not to use it.

Speaking of special snowflakes, I still don't see why Coulson is so important that Fury "moved heaven and earth" to save him.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Very good episode. I liked Bill Paxton's appearance, though his character could have been developed better.

I wasn't familiar with Lorelei. So I looked her up. I initially thought she was the Enchantress. I'm excited to see Sif next week.

6. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

7. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whoa now, not sure where you're getting any sort of legal authority from? There was nothing legal going on there. It was specifically stated to be not Shield. Whoever those two guards answered to, it wasn't any sort of legal government authority.

It seemed to be a facility designed specifically for medical experiments that were NOT legal, be it whatever questionable procedures were used on Coulson, or experimenting on still-alive (?) aliens. This was the definition of off the books and beyond the law.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whose private property was it?

9. kitik

I'm wondering if this very episode was part of the reason Fury saved Coulson. Perhaps Fury wanted to shut down some operations that he was not allowed to shut down, including tonight's. Maybe Fury set Coulson in motion knowing he'd eventually find/expose the truth about how he was brought back from death. Saving Coulson with T.A.H.I.T.I. may have been Fury's best shot at shutting down T.A.H.I.T.I. and other operations that may be revealed in the future.

10. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I didn't know ignorance was a solid legal defense.

11. kitik

Actually, didn't they know for a fact that it was NOT a legal facility?

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The purpose of the question wasn't for any legal defense, not that any would be needed anyway. The point is that it wasn't established whether it was private property or not.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What country was the base in?

14. malfourmed

malfourmed Ensign Newbie

Before he became big in movies Renner guest-starred on Angel, giving a memorable performance in the episode "Somnambulist" as one of Angel's sired.

It's not out of the question that Whedon might be able to call in a favor for a guest spot if the part is meaty, the schedules fit and the money's right. Or at least a Samuel L Jackson style cameo.

15. kitik

Renner probably has some 5 or 6 picture contract signed with Marvel. If Marvel said that a little 2 day cameo on AOS could count as one of them, he'd probably do it if it could fit into his schedule.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The facts are that:

We don't know who the guest house was run by or where it was located.

We don't know what affiliation it had with SHIELD.

Coulson and company showed up heavily armed with no sign of an injured party with them.

Coulson's team demonstrated a disregard for the occupants of the facility by first shooting the camera and then gaining entry after being unable to convince the occupants to let them in.

Regardless of what they said, Coulson's team looked like a freakin death squad breaking in.

I'm not in favor of "stand your ground" laws, but damn, those guards would have been acquitted.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the comments of turning away someone asking for medical help like it's your neighbor knocking on your door and not someone landing a jumbo jet at an isolated secure location.

The security at that place was rather crazy though. They didn't notice the aforementioned jumbo jet until they knocked on the door? They had two guys with an M-16 and questionable tactics in charge of defending the whole facility and if that fails they blow the place sky high?

Guardians Hype?

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'd argue breaking into the home to steal water falls under necessity, same as the boat. And the shotgun trap and final example were included to show that you don't have the right to deadly force except to protect your own life (so someone stealing medical supplies who wouldn't otherwise cause harm can't be met with deadly force).

Entirely possible. I don't think the scenes were meant to be free of all moral ambiguity. If they were, the guys defending the building would have been less sympathetic. In the end, it was two groups who are used to using deadly force doing what they needed to do. I don't think either side had the law on their side.

I thought of actually using my Torts Professor's hypos. But I decided to avoid going with the old lady being pushed off a cliff to land on you below and you can't move but do have a laser gun with which you can vaporize her.

20. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You don't have health insurance and you engage in an armed assault on a private hospital, killing two security guards, to obtain some antibiotics.