Hawaii 5-0 Season 3 discussion/spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Enterprise is Great, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

We finally meet Steve's mother and I'm not sure I trust her. Why didn't she kill Wo Fat? Something's fishy here and it's not Kamekona's shrimp. I read a theory in another forum that Doris may not have shot Wo Fat because she's his mother making Steve and Wo Fat half-brothers. I guess it's possible.

Poor Chin Ho... knew his wife was a goner as soon as they married but I thought that it wouldn't be so soon. Note to producers...stop killing Reiko Aylesworth off...you're pissing me off. Glad to see that Chin Ho took out Delano and they didn't drag it out. Good call. It'll be interesting how he deals with have killed Delano the way he did.

Good episode but the Wo Fat brearkout was cheesy as hell. The CGI was sort of crappy and it seems way over the top how it was done.

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

yeah the wo fat breakout was bit much - the van not swerving, no cops taking pot shots at the chopper?

Geez what is hollywood coming to :)

Poor Dano - stuck in the back of the car and haivng to up with Steve and Mrs McGarrett :)

3. Enterprise is Great

I like the song Danno has for his ringtone when the ex-wife calls. "Evil woman...blah blah blah' funny stuff.

4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

^And Rachel is trying to move to Vegas... could there be a C.S.I. crossover in the works? :p

Someone needs to cast her and Sean Bean as the leads in a show. Maybe then they'd stand a fighting chance of not getting croaked.

It reminded me more than a little bit of Sanchez's breakout in Licence to Kill. Of course, there, Sanchez's crony was riding shotgun and intentionally drove the truck off a bridge into the drink, but it was similar enough.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No his original was better the theme from Psycho.

The Wo Fat bit where Steve's mom was found to have shot at the floor letting him go, made me think Hmmm could be interesting.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

No kidding. I caught the episode on line tonight and as the breakout was happening I was thinking "Heavy lift crane choppers? Hi-tech divers? Is Wo-Fat a gangster or Cobra Commander?"

Then when Momgarrett said Steve used to call himself GIJoe, I knew! :D

Still, entertaining as always. I hope this version gets as long a run as the original.

7. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a good episode but it looks like they spent $1.98 on the special effects. I was joking with my friend that Doris might be Fatty's mom too. I hope not, that would be too over the top.

8. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When Momma McGarrett said in the beginning that Wo-Fat's dad was her "assignment" and left it as vague as that I thought to myself OH NO SHE'S HIS MOTHER and not killing him kinda confirms it for me. We will see.

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Delano is like one of those high overhead/low reward Bond villains. "Okay guys, here's the plan. We're going to spend $29 million on the ship, helicopter, lift crane, aquasleds, SCUBA gear, weapons, and the team of mercenaries, but that last million from selling the meth is all ours to split 17 ways if we don't all get killed breaking into the police station."

That whole Wo-Fat rescue sequence was ridiculous. I love the entire HPD caravan being completely oblivious to the giant obviously CGI helicopter hovering directly overhead and lowering a crane. You'd think one of them would look up and say "Wow, that looks really fake, but holy shit, maybe we better let the guys in the van know to turn or something?" It's no wonder HPD cops die more often than LAPD cops in Lethal Weapon movies; they're not paying attention.

Speaking of lack of communication, it seems like the police evidence locker situation could have been resolved without the death of an officer and the escape of Delano's crew had Steve simply called ahead to HPD officers they trust and told them what was happening in their building instead of racing over there to handle it themselves without warning anyone. There might have been a shootout, but they also might have taken them down without incident thanks to having the element of surprise. But Steve and crew had to do it themselves. There's no Hawaii in Team, Steve.

I agree with the consensus that Wo-Fat is definitely Doris' son and Steve's half-brother, which is why they didn't shoot each other and she let him escape once he knew the truth. I imagine she got close to the father by pretending to fall in love with him and before she finally killed him she discovered she was pregnant with Baby Fat.

Sucks about Reiko Aylesworth. I always liked her, and they keep killing her off in stuff. Plus, it would be nice to cut Chin-Ho some slack for a change instead of him suffering constant problems and loss.

The freeway shootout was pretty cool, and Chin-Ho straight up executing Delano was hard core. Forensics would totally be able to tell that he shot Delano from a standing position at point blank range, so I don't know if this will be the new season long arc of adversity Chin-Ho has to face in addition to losing his wife and nearly losing his cousin. His conscience getting to him after the shootout could indicate that it will be followed up.

10. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes but we only saw the shot from Delano's point of view, maybe he had a hidden gun we didn't see on camera?

but his last words to Chin gave us the 'Dirty Cop" impression?

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Even though he's been cleared over certain things, Chin probably still has the reputation and not everyone would be aware of the the exonerations.

12. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The big problem was to many cliffhangers. Dallas gave us who shot JR. Not who shot JR and who knocked up Lucy and will Pam leave Bobby. And just like season two, except for the Kono undercover they tried to clean it all up in one furious hour

Can I use that so I don't have to plagiarizer you?

You are leaving out one factor HPD, only the LVPD of CSI comes near the level of corruption among its officers.

13. Enterprise is Great

^^^ I wonder how the real HPD and LVPD feel about that.

14. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LVMPD. They don't care. I did see a Vegas reporter review of Vegas and I think she has a political beef with the ex Sheriff.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's possible but doubtful. Chin-Ho, despite his many issues with the department, has always been the moral center of the team and the one the writers tend to focus on with these moral dilemmas. Which is why Delano's death weighed so heavily on him when Steve asked him about it after the firefight. If it had been in self-defense, I doubt he would be so conflicted about it from a TV drama standpoint (though in real life that's quite normal).

Oh sure, go right ahead. :)

They must have recruited people from CTU (on 24) to populate their departments. ;)

16. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a good season. They started digging in to McGarrett's past a little, and played up the cold war/Chinese angle a lot.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You're thinking of a show called Hawaii 5-O ;)

18. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's exactly what I was thinking before the episode was even over.

I kept thinking how it was so similar to the breakout in the Bond movie License to Kill. They drove the truck off a bridge then, they didn't pick it up, but the business about swimming under water to get him. I just thought that scene was pretty week.

19. Enterprise is Great

Not much to say about last night's episode. I enjoyed it but it was a pretty generic 5-0 episode. Some good action scenes and good Steve/Danno bromance stuff. Two nice emotional scenes with Chin Ho and Kono and Chin Ho and Danno with Kono and Danno giving comfort and support to Chin Ho. With Ed Asner's return I just expected more from it. I was pretty shocked when he killed himself as I was hoping we'd see a bit more of the old criminal.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enjoyed every aspect of the first episode. The second was pretty boring except for the memorial at the beginning and the Chin Ho/Danna stuff near the end.