Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, yeah, you could probably have used sparklers to get that sound effect :D

2. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that would have been cool.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

And you know what else I just thought about? Mixing pop-rocks into the cake batter.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey guys, I've just started a couple weeks ago... I have a main base in a forest biome (It snows and rains. Often.) that is about 20 meters tall and has a couple sub-levels (sorry, no screen-shots quite yet). The entire area is crawling with skeletons, zombies, spiders, slimes, and creepers. Oh My.

But, I recently discovered my first abandoned underground mine and I'm working on creating a safe way to travel there... probably involving a minecart.

I have to say, its a bit humbling looking through this thread at all of your very impressive creations when I can barely find enough iron to keep my armor in good shape or manage to find any diamond ore, not that I could mine it if I were to find some.

While I'm on that subject of diamonds and pardon me if I come across as a newb, but this is what I've gotten from looking up a few things up on the wikia. Mining diamond ore requires the at minimum the silk touch enchantment on an iron pickaxe, which requires the enchantment table, which in turn requires diamond... I'm guessing that I'm missing something here.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Diamond ore is a block and is effectively useless for crafting things, its only use is decorative. Diamonds are an item that drop when you mine diamond ore with an iron (or diamond) pick.

1. Mine diamond ore with an iron pick to get diamonds.
    2. Make a diamond pick and mine some obsidian with it.
    3. Make an enchanting table with obsidian and diamonds (and a book).
    4. Grind for several days for the random chance to get a Silk Touch pick.
    5. Mine diamond ore to get diamond ore blocks.
    6. Profit! (Except for the fact that diamond ore is useless.)
    I hope that explains things. :)

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

TheGodBen answered your question, so I just want to ask: would you like to join our server? :)

8. Satyrquaze

Awesome, that helps a great deal. I created two blocks of Obsidian in the lava pond under my house. I then spent several minutes attempting to mine one with an iron pickaxe. That was well spent time...

As usual TheGodBen, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Yes please. :D

9. Robert Maxwell

PM me your Minecraft username and I'll send you the deets. :)

10. Satyrquaze

^Sent!

So, I played for a little bit last night and a creeper apparently spawned and then exploded (as I obliviously walked passed) quite close to the indoor glass encased lava fountain I had built in a sub-basement of my house. So, I spent the next hour doing damage control trying to keep lava away from my chests and building tables. I managed to die only once due to lava damage, but I lost two of my dogs to it. :sigh:

Right now, I'm thinking that I have either the option of playing on survival mode and not building any remotely extravagant structures in the lower levels of my house or playing on creative mode and missing out on the fun of killing zombies and being watchful for creepers.

Bah, maybe I'll just one world devoted to creative mode and another for survival. Either way I'm definately removing that lava fountain.

11. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On RM's server, there are creepers, but they only destroy a small set of natural blocks (dirt, sand, etc.). So likely anything you build won't be affected, but you still get to kill monsters! :)

12. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also started playing a few weeks ago with a few friends who had played in the past. We "finished" the game last week (god, that end poem...that's 10 mins I'll never get back) and this week we switched over to Tekkit.

I did manage to built one Trek thing, a Danube runabout on as 1:1 scale based on the DS9TM figures as I could with 1x1x1 blocks.

13. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed.. There is one on RM server as well.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: Sadly not, I'm just a nerd that enables nerdy behaviour in others so that I feel less bad about my habits.

Obsidian is a pain to mine even with a diamond pick, I think it takes 8 seconds to mine one block, so you spend about a minute and a half just to mine enough to make a portal, and that's only if you're lucky enough that none of it falls into lava. You're best off mining 4 obsidian blocks, making an enchanting table, getting a diamond pick with an Efficiency enchant on it, then mining obsidian in mass quantities. It's probably faster to do it that way than mining obsidian directly.

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bit of weirdness when I was on the server last night....
    I was shooting some arrows at a redstone lamp target, which was working just fine for a while. Suddenly the arrows didn't seem to be showing up at all when I shot them, although my inventory went down. I went over to the target to see if I could find them, and somehow managed to get shot by my own arrows! :lol:

16. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Gotta love lag.

As far as Obsidian goes, I just gave up mining the stuff. If I need it, I'll just build a frame, fill it with lava, and pour a bucket of water over the top.

17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I presume that pink thing shown sticking out in the 1st-person point of view is a hand. I wouldn't want to think those maids are having to perform "extra" duties.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

So, someone got me playing this Monday night, and now I have huge highways connecting a dozen little houses...

19. Robert Maxwell

Wanna join our server? :D The more the merrier...

20. Robert Maxwell

Also, this is hilarious:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNw2YcAK9Wc[/yt]