The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by EnriqueH, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, as I said, the episode's science has been contradicted not only by reality, but by the rest of Trek as well. It doesn't really fit the continuity anymore, putting it in the category of stories like "The Alternative Factor," TFF, "The Host," and "Threshold" whose assertions have been pretty roundly ignored by later productions.

2. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Too bad.

Still, it can be enjoyed the same way we enjoy the novels. Non-canon, ignored by the TV shows and movies, but can still be appreciated by those who enjoyed it.

3. Count Spockula

Count Spockula Ensign Newbie

Hi I'm new...

I too enjoy the animated series.
    I recently bought the set and this is the first time I've seen the show since the late 70's on Saturday morning cartoons.
    It's wonderful hearing those great voices again! Awesome spock dialogue!

I grew up in the 70's during the syndication era; when the dream was going to a convention and seeing Shatner & Nimoy in person... gee those were the days.... :techman:

On the animated dvd set, I also wish they would have cleaned up the negative much more and corrected animated flaws... you can really see when two cells are roto'd over each other... those artifacts should be taken out against a star field it is not that difficult a task on after effects imaging... It just takes a bit of time to do this and funds... The color could use a good pop too.... I love the backgrounds! Like the wonderful covers of the old key comics and coloring books from the 60's Love it!!!

I hope if a Blu-ray dvd set is done that the power that be invest in this process... I would purchase the set again.

The audio is a bit brittle but good and distinct. Animated has a certain sound design with cues that make it own... I think a complete revision with new animation would make it more pleasing to a more current audience but also keep the old version for us oldsters... Just like what was done on the new TOS series Blu-ray...

[COLOR=#0000ff]http://jphalt-startrekindex.blogspot.com/2010/11/star-trek-animated-series-1973-1974.html[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

4. EnriqueH

Welcome to the party. I'm still fairly new myself, having joined about a month and a half ago.

Get ready to be hooked! This place is addictive. I love it.

5. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, welcome, Count Spockula (can Kirkenberry be far behind?) :lol:

It is indeed addictive here. I can't even remember now what prompted me to join (about ten months ago, here), but I'm glad I did. It's one of those rare places where even the disagreements are enjoyable! :)

It's fun to read some insight from someone, an opinion, theory, or just an observation which you'd never noticed before. It's like your imagination has someone to talk to! :)

6. Christopher

Wow, I can't even remember how long I've been with the TrekBBS. Over 12 years, certainly.

Oh, there it is -- my profile says I joined on March 15, 2001.

7. EnriqueH

Happy, conversational, intellectually stimulating, pleasant company.

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I'd be against a wholesale replacement of the animation with brand new CGI, I would certainly welcome the shows getting a digital touch-up to remove mistakes like the wrong colours and all that. There is one shot in "More Tribbles, More Troubles" with a Klingon suddenly leaving the borders of the viewscreen that would be an obvious (and, I would imagine, relatively easy) fix as well. ;)

If they kept the vintage 70s animation, but used computers to iron out all the little inconsistencies while still retaining that original look, then I'd be happy with that. :)

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're talking science, then Star Trek probably has to belong to a different universe than ours. Since we haven't had a Eugenics War, I guess that's sure, eh?

Artificial gravity deck-by-deck and inertial dampers; and probably the transporter are extreeeemely improbable. On the other hand, humanity -- the rate we're going in this timeline -- will be very integrated with biotech, and possibly mind-linked/uploaded as humans are not in Trek.

So when their physics and history differ from ours, well . . . yeah, it does. SO maybe their center of the galaxy is different too.

10. Christopher

As I've already said twice, later Trek shows explicitly established that the Big Bang happened in the Trek universe; indeed, VGR's "Death Wish" actually showed it happening. So it's not just reality that the episode contradicts, it's later Trek canon. That's the point.

11. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

Personally, I like the animated series, just the way it is, flaws and all. I think any kind of tinkering would mar its authenticity, no matter how well intentioned.

12. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As far as the ongoing continuity goes, I like to think of it metaphorically as adding a pigment to a paint, then, by adding more and more colors, trying to restore the paint to its original tint: nigh upon impossible.

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

That's what retconning is for.

14. Kobayshi Maru

And they do a great job of that...

15. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Oh, you should have seen this place in '99, man. I remember when there wasn't even a Trek Lit forum. CRAY.

16. Kobayshi Maru

Those were the days... I guess.

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Exaggeration is not making a point. Original Yogi Bear cartoons were limited (at least compared to their theatrical cousins of the 40s/50s), but it was still animation viewers accepted.

Even as the catalogs of Terrytoons, MGM, Famous, WB, etc. were packaged for TV distribution--oft times couched between original TV content, history does not record a mass outcry of "eww! that new stuff is inferior animation!"

Are also fine with "filmmakers" going back and butchering original work (so-called "special editions"). for example, would you argue for Forbidden Planet or the original King Kong's EFX to be replaced with CG work? Should the Fleischer Superman be "updated" because someone who thinks the animation of Clone Wars or Green Lantern is "sooo cewl?" and the standard that all others must follow? Should any WW2 films which used models for air battles be Lucas-ized because a few modern day audiences cannot fathom the artistry in anything beyond that which was targeted at their generation?

...not because of budget or other studio concerns, but due to an utter lack of necessity.

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nobody said it was necessary. None of this necessary. Some fairly well-done space opera I love was not necessary. Nor an animated version with horrible animation. Christopher asked "What would be the point?"

I answered.

No, I would not tinker with the examples you mentioned. I have argued against the FX in the TOS blurays, actually. But, my coloring book statement is no exaggeration. I went and watched one again after posting. Really, "animation" is a stretch. They really are basically coloring book pictures with the lips moving.

So, I (who love those beautiful Fleischer Supes btw) would like to see some killer animation mated with those stories, since they have the original actors' voices. It would be cool, in my opinion. That's all. I don't see why people get so worked up about other people's desires or opinions here.

19. Christopher

You know, there's a ton of anime that's just as limited in its animation as TAS was. I see plenty of TV anime that features long shots where nothing moves except a character's lips, or the camera panning slowly across a static scene. Plenty of anime shows are built around the reuse of stock sequences, such as henshin/transformation scenes or standardized attacks. This is true even of some of the classier anime like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, where some of the action animation is really rich and dynamic but there are plenty of long dialogue scenes with virtually no animation at all. It puzzles me that anime, even from the '90s and '00s and beyond, gets a pass from fandom for its limited animation, but Filmation's '70s work gets trashed for doing the exact same things.

20. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I hear you.