Back to the Future 25th Anv. Trilogy on Blu-ray Oct 2010

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

IIRC the getting back to the future via nuke stayed around well into the change of the time machine to a car. There was supposed to be a montage of Marty driving the car back to California from the test-site once he got back to the "present." The nuke thing was dropped because the film-makers thought it was unrealistic (radiation and all) and it'd be too expensive to film so they went with the lightning thing.

But, yeah, the fridge thing wasn't a good idea and it's a good thing they kept working on the script, the DeLorean was made far more of a iconic classic than it would've been thanks to this movie and other changes helped cement the movie as a classic as well.

There's been a triloigy box-set that's been available for many years now, I believe it's OOP but one could still be found on ebay or probably still on Amazon or in the odd video store. Individual DVD releases have been available for a couple years now.

And now's where I'm going to say something that people are going to jump up my ass for.

I'd kind-of hoped that when they moved the BBTF movies to BD they'd go through the second one and update the special effects. Even on VHS the special effects, model work and such in Part 2 is... not good. It was good in the 90s but doesn't quite hold-up today. Most notably is the scene where the DeLorean "lands" in the Hill Valley alleyway the rear deck of the DeLorean and the exhaust ports are very different on the plastic full-scale light model they used for these "landing" scenes than they are on the "real" thing. When the DeLorean is giving hover-chase to Biff's '46 Ford you can clearly see the real "drive wheels" under the "hovering" DeLorean, these are obviously not supposed to be there. (They're clearly visible on the "corrected" WS DVD version.)

Some of the flying model work in establishing/FX shots in 2015 doesn't hold up well. All of the other SFX work in the other two movies holds up fairly well today -as there's little of it- but the future Hill Valley stuff looks horrible and will look even more horrible on BD. (And are they going back to the film-stock and redoing this or is they simply going to be an "upscaled" DVD?)

Anyway, I've "grown out of" needing Special Features to buy a DVD so it's unlikely I'll buy this set unless there's something on it that'll blow my skirt up.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds familiar...

3. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually have that one, but yeah, it has issues. Id love to see the stoltz footage too.

4. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

All too familiar and aren't we all glad that that didn't make the cut in BTTF. ;)

I'll be skipping the Blu-Ray. I already have the trilogy on DVD but I must say I never tire of watching the first film. There's just something about it that never gets old or boring.

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Safely tucked away somewhere I'm sure... but the reason behind not releasing it is likely in the fine print of someone's contract... not to mention Stolz was fired and likely not very happy about it at the time.

They had completed entire scenes with Stolz as Marty... the Twin Pines Mall time machine test for sure (as those photos are available).

6. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

My understanding is that Stolz wasn't fired so much as it was a mutual decision that he wasn't right for the part.

7. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

That's what I have gathered as well. I remember reading an interview a while back where Zemeckis said that he is reluctant to release the Eric Stolz footage because it might cause some unnecessary comparisons and he just doesn't want the guy to look bad in any way.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're redoing it. This is Blu-Ray, after all. ;)

9. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh. I have seen these films so many times, no amount of "extras" will make me waste money on them.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Hmm... Cold Fusion?

This sucker might actually persuade me over to the Blu-side.

11. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

*groan* :lol:

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Plus you can't sell 1/18 models of a fridge with sound effects and lights

:D

EDIT: TARDIS d'oh!

Imagine Back to the future with the fridge and Bill and Ted with the telephone booth. The British would go crazy!!

I hope they include Stolz's few seconds of footage.

13. ALF

That's fine for the late 80s, but this is decades after the fact. I can't imagine Fox nor Stolz minding terribly at this point in time... they both have continued successful careers.

14. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering the amount of documentary material, audio commentaries would probably come off as rather repetitious and redundant.

15. ALF

The first DVD release had commentaries. Or do you want commentaries of the commentaries?

16. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

Will they please restore the "To Be Continued..." card to the end of the first film? That was a really crappy edit in the first DVD trilogy set.

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only the first one did. The others had Q&A sessions. For R2 anyway.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The "To Be Continued..." card was never on the theatrical release of the movie, which is what they were going for which, agreed, was kind of a lame edit.

What I'd love to see? If I'm not mistaken Blu-Ray has the space to do this but, granted, not at Blu-Ray resolution but I'd like to see all of the movies strung together with the codas/beginings overlapped so it acts out as one, long, movie.

19. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rip to hard drive. Stitch together. I'm sure it would enhance the whole "this was a damn crazy weekend/month" feel to the trilogy.

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Eric Stolz casting

Yes.
    From 3 separate scenes from 5 weeks of filming.
    3 minute video at link below:
    http://io9.com/5661580/never+before+seen-footage-of-eric-stoltz-as-marty-mcfly-in-back-to-the-future