Why my friend doesn't like DS9: Sisko.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Vanyel, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I might be the only person on the planet that thinks Picard is the asshat in that episode.

Fair enough that perhaps Sisko is a bit unfair in his attitude twoard Picard, but the dismissive manner in which Picard treats Sisko is totally unwarranted, IMO.

Picard comes off as an elitist prick sitting there playing with his matched tea service all the while lecturing Sisko (lost wife and being posted to a floating garbage dump) about having to put up with the hardships of the service.

This is an early indicator of why I came to like DSN much more than I ever liked TNG.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like DS9 because the characters are flawed. Sisko isn't some confident paragon like Picard. He starts the series a broken man. Kira was a terrorist, Odo helped out during the occupation, Bashir lied to get in to Starfleet and don't get me started on Garak...

The flaws and different facets are what make these characters so much more interesting than Geordi LaForge, Dr. Crusher or Troi.

3. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Speak for yourself.

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Agreed. I only started watching the first season recently, but I do like that they are inherently flawed from the get-go.

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Picard wasn't an asshat at all. He was there to give a briefing to the stations new Commander. Sisko started whining about the posting to a superior officer. The response is pretty much what I expect to hear in any line of the military. Maybe an ENS would say something like "its not ideal here" but Sisko has been around long enough to know better. I would have asked Sisko why he even bothered to show up in the first place if that was going to be his attitude.

As for his latent hostility to Picard, I think that it is completely understandable regardless of the circumstances. That face is one he will always associate with the death of his wife. He gets a freebie here and Picard seemed to understand that. Picard didn't seem to appreciate the implication but didn't press the issue with Sisko and let him vent.

I thought Picard handled it the best way he could by keeping the meeting strictly business. Sisko came around in his own time.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Isn't that what I did?

7. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Well either that nor narcissistically project your biases onto others.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Let me get this straight. Your friend was extremely attached to someone. That person, Picard, was attacked by Sisko's actions. On a single occasion, years and years ago. Under circumstances which have long since been justified to some extent.

And yet your friend won't let it go after all this time, choosing to continue disliking Sisko regardless.

The irony is appalling.

It is not linear.

9. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

True, but if he had left it as "I don't like shows with story arcs." I'd have left him alone. But he added in he didn't like Sisko, so I had to know why.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Sisko went through pain, grief, and anger for three years following Wolf 359 and finally encountered the man whose face was forever etched in his mind as the one responsible for it all. Sure, you can say his anger was misplaced, but when he saw Picard, he didn't see a fellow Starfleet officer, but rather Locutus of Borg. Sisko had to undergo a personal journey (albeit with the help of the Wormhole aliens) to let all of that go and start living again.

So in "Emissary," a still grieving Sisko felt some initial resentment towards Picard--but he got over it by the end of the episode. Hating Sisko because he wasn't from the start a card-carrying member of the Picard Fan Club is lame.

11. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I place Sisko a few rungs below some of the other Captains. Not because of his character per say but just his overwrought acting was distracting at times. The man could enunciate the shit of his words when he got into one of his speeches.

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know if you're seeing it. Your friend is doing exactly what Sisko did.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

All I said is that I wouldn't believe that anyone here would be happy-go-lucky with a man who murdered their family, regardless of his state of mind at the time. How exactly is that narcissistic? What you call bias, I call my opinion based on a theoretical circumstance.

You're saying that if it happened to you, you'd really be totally cool with the guy?

14. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Yes I did get it.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Sisko was certainly being a jerk to Picard. But I could see the situation from both sides.

It was a huge risk introducing the new leading actor for their next series that way. The writers had balls.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

That's completely hilarious, I hope the OP points it out one day!

17. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

I don't agree with the analogy. Someone who has brain trauma and is 'not himself' still knows that murder is wrong; the Borg care not whether murder is wrong and Picard had no control over his actions anyway.

18. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Flaws are ok, as long as they don't make them unsympathetic. The problem I have with DS9 is that the flaws the characters have make me hard to empathize with them. Bahir's personality was also very grating, and Avery Brooks spoke like a robot. Odo was probably the most likeable character, even though he walked around perpetually annoyed.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I made the guy up and I say he didn't know right from wrong. :)

Anyway, that's not the point of my example...it's not about whether Picard is to blame or not, the point is about Sisko's reaction to him.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't have to feel sympathy for a character to really find them interesting and enjoy watching them. I never felt much empathy for Dukat and he's one of my favourite Trek characters before S7 butchers him.