Dr. Ree sketch

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Chris McCarver, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've been playing around with working up some samples for IDW and immediately the characters of the Titan novels came to mind. So I've been trying to get a handle on some of the characters who've only been seen in the books. Hence, this (admittedly a bit crap) sketch of Titan's Pahkwa-thanh CMO, Dr. Shenti Yisec Eres Ree.

[​IMG]

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice...ya know, the style actually reminds me a lot of the way the inside illustrations were done in some of the "young adult" Treklit--especially the first 3 TNG ones like Worf's First Adventure. Brings back good memories, very warm, fuzzy ones. :)

You didn't happen to be thinking of that, did you?

3. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This reminds me of something I thought was being developed a while back by Pocket Books...

An online directory of Trek Lit characters that were accompanied by Color Sketches and some brief background information. Certainly make getting a handle on some of the more alien races aboard the Titan a bit easier to visualize.

Anyone know whatever happened to that?

Thanks for this pic of Dr. Ree.

4. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is something I for one would love to workon.

by the way nice sketch.

5. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Nice sketch, but it reminds me too much of the Godzilla from the movie with Matthew Broderick. I thought the 3rd book in the series had a pick of Dr Ree? I do have to echo the sentiment that a collection showing what the characters looked like.

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

7. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks great. Glad to see someone working on the characters. I would myself but been a busy guy. Maybe in the near future.

8. Chris McCarver

NerysGhemor: I've never actually read the young-adult Trek books, but I'm glad I gave you a nostalgia shot. :)

Technobuilder: Someone was actually doing an illustrated TrekLit history? Yeah, put me down for a yes vote.

Titan Designer: Compliments much appreciated, Sean, as are everyone else's.

Frontline: I completely see what you're saying... after looking at the Ree photo on that Titan book cover, I see where I went wrong: Ree's snout's a bit too hammer-nosed. Good eye.

I've been working on sketches for other Titan characters, Aili Lavena and Ranul Keru on deck next.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Lavvena's on the cover of book 4, Over a Torrent Sea

10. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, a little too much chin compared to the cover image. And you have his claws flat, like long human finger- and toenails (and look like they'd be far too easily pried up if he dug them into his meal) rather than the thicker, sharper claws of a natural predator.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  11. Chris McCarver

Point agreed with... some things to think about when I do a version 2 of this.

I'm aware, and I'll be referencing that shot in the pic I'm working on, since the goal's more to design her look while wearing the hydration suit.

I'm trying to get used to drawing the Titan characters for some comic pages I'm working on, not so much trying to put my creative stamp on the characters or to deliver anything resembling a "definitive" version. I realize we know what Ree and Lavena look like, I'm just trying to get them down on paper for the sake of the project I'm working on. :)

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Since that picture of Ree is baisically a monitor lizard...I think an artistic interpretation can ad some chin.

13. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Sweet stuff. Reminds me of the character art I saw at Trek-RPG.Net

I wish I still had access to my old account as there was some really good stuff I'd archived before Yahoo snuffed my Trekfan1975 account & password.

14. EmperorKalan

True, but it's also worth avoiding the "Chin-zilla" look.

Speakling of "avoiding looks", it's be interesting to see Dr. Hulian. How do you keep him from looking too much like Disney's Stitch when his species was expressly based on that character?

15. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Better that than sticking a gecko in a uniform and trying to pass him off as an alien. ;)

16. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always envisioned Dr Ree as looking like an Argonian from the elder scrolls series and Caitians looking like Khajiit from the same series :D

17. EmperorKalan

Ah, but they're such a low-key, unassuming way of messing with player's heads :evil:

http://members.tip.net.au/~davidjw/libdata/alphabet/b/bwaps.htm

18. Chris McCarver

Heh, I'm Mac417 there. :)

19. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't wait to see the sketches on Ranul and Lavena next.

20. Cut

Cut Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi Mac.

Very nice sketch. Are there more? I shall take a look around for them here.

By the way: I have followed your advice over at our boards and started Star Trek: Destiny. It's nice to see a known face from Trek-RPG.net right here :)

Regards, Cut

You might want to go over there once more and make contact with Captain Lundgren, the administrator. Maybe you could work something out concerning your account. It would be nice to have some more users coming back, especially now that a new movie is approaching.