Farscape First time watch thread....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Jun 16, 2011.

1. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Looking back on it years afterward, I realize that was one of the things that really intrigued me about the show and why I re-watch it so often and love reading threads like this. Every show had something, it seemed to be the most insignificant little thing at the time, but there was always something that hinted at a moment yet to come. I won't go into details, but you have to pay close attention to everything that happens, even if it seems to be a throwaway line or a pointless scene, because at some point later on something will happen and you'll get a "Holy Shit!" moment.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've watched the entire series straight through at least 6 or 7 times, and I've watched certain episodes many more times than that, and I still discover new things every time!

3. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

Sorry I'm late to the party. I've been watching Farscape through (most of the episodes for the first time) and I thought I'd chime in in support of Rhapsody in Blue, which appears to be getting quite a drubbing.

The first reason I liked the episode, is that it wasn't a ship-in-a-bottle episode. Perhaps S1 just had a low budget, but man it was nice to see other people!

The second reason: all the components were really interesting. The powerplays culminating in patricide! The cast-off lover (my girlfriend left me... for a girl!). Meditations on the edge of madness (reminded me of B5's Technomage Trilogy). What is memory?

The problem is, why was this a stand-alone episode? Why couldn't these things be parceled out in small pieces over the course of a season? What was the need to reveal it all now? Were they never planning on touching the Delvians again?

So what I'm saying is that I agree with Bonzo the Fifth. It seems to me that other than the Peacekeepers, farscape has very little interest in developing civilizations. And that's fine. It's a character show. And for sure these characters do develop! But then that's why Rhapsody in Blue failed. Not because it wasn't good. It was. But because it was a story inappropriate for farscape. Better to leave such things as whole cultures to DS9.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I started S3. Watched 2 yesterday, Season of Death and Suns&Loves before I headed out Friday night.
    Woke up and finished the first disk with Self Inflicted Wounds pt1&2

Strong start to S3.
    I knew Aeryn wasn't going to die since I did know she was in the whole thing. Felt like the "healer" or the Gruenschlock(sp) would come into play and they did. They were just part of the equation.

You could see the Jothy(sp), I'm going to have to look these spelling up at some point, and Chiana thing coming a mile away.

Waiting to find out more about Stark. He seems to have a possible backlog of tales and enemies that could be explored.

So we get Aeryn back and on the same disc of episodes lose Zahnn. When it was spoiled she would die I wasn't prepared for it to be this soon into the season.

This Jewel woman awoken from the stasis is taking Zahnn's place then. What few eps I saw with her were not these two where she is introduced.

Liked John "breaking" Rigel's nose in the Farscape module that was deserved.

The last two episodes, cause they are in the wormhole I take it, imo felt the absence of Crace and Talen. I admit to liking how that dynamic has worked out on the show.

I also admit to hoping Scorpius in the head was a plot device gone bye-bye but it seems it's not. Especially with Wayne in the main credits now that device is going to be away to have him in most episodes.

Speaking of I really like the new opening credit sequence in S3.
    Headed out to do some things but depending on a phone call for tonight there is a chance more S3 is my entertainment for the evening.

5. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I met Virginia Hey at Dragon*Con, attended a meditation class she taught...it was great. She's an awesome lady.

6. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Grunshlk. Jothee. Zhaan. Jool. Rygel. Crais. Talyn.

This was your public service announcement. :techman:

7. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I somewhat disagree with the comment that Farscape doesn't develop civilizations. Yes, it is mainly concerned with its characters, and most of the alien races are shown briefly, but you see enough of the Scarrans, Luxans, Hynerians and Delvians to get a good feel for their culture. It just wasn't a reality for the story they were trying to tell to have Moya visiting distant worlds on a long-term basis. They were bloody fugitives! If I were on the run from the law, I probably wouldn't be planning extensive anthropological stays in various U.S. cities, I'd be getting the hell out of dodge.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not only that, but the whole point of "DNA Mad Scientist" is that these characters have no idea where their homes even are, which is why they were so desperate for the maps. There's no reason for us to ever see these worlds.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry for bringing the tragedies of 9/11 into this thread, but given what today is and I'm thinking about this day, one of the things that I did that night was watch Farscape, which was PK Tech Girl. For that period of time, I was able to have a diversion from the crap in the world and smile. Maybe that's another reason why I consider it the best sci fi show ever made.

10. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Okay... I'm 2 eps into season 4 and i'm baffled beyond belief right now...

SPOILERS AHOY!!!!!!!!!
    !
    !
    !

when the hell did Scorpius get captured by Grayza? during the "previously on Farscape" intro to ep 2 of season 4, you see clips of him, his 2nd in command, and Grayza.... but I never saw those scenes. i went back into the last ep of season 3 and the first ep of season 4 and can't find anything. help please!

i'll post my thoughts on season 3 once i get this whole thing figured out. i still gotta wrap my head around what exactly is happening over the last few eps. it seems the writers were fried out of their skulls and went completely off the tracks while writing this last arc. i've never been so confused watching something like i am right now... and i'm not confused in a good way:confused:

11. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is a deleted scene from Dog With Two Bones that shows Grayza taking command away from Scorpius and giving it to Braca. The previouslies come from that deleted scene. Weird, yeah.

The first half of season 4 is pretty crazy, and it took me three times to really get what was going on. So don't fret. Things will make more sense as the season continues.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Season 4 really isn't all that complicated; it's just got a bit of an odd shift in tone and kind of feels like a different show. The transition between Seasons 3 and 4 was definitely not as smoothe as it could have been.

13. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

The first half of the season is the weird, awkward part. It's the only "section" of the series that I regularly skip when rewatching. The last half was pretty much on par with the rest of the show, though.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

My viewing has gotten behind. Some personal and professional matters have stunted my S3.

I did manage to watch Eat Me, Thanks for Sharing and Green Eyed Monster so far this weekend to finish up disc 2.

So far every episode this season has been good.

Eat Me gave me a pseudo-Night of the Living Dead type feel. A good horror-esque episode.

Green Eyed Monster felt like it was partially riffing that scene in Empire where the Falcon flies into the "asteroid".

I'm going to the Titans game now but maybe I can watch a few more tonight and tomorrow(I have Monday off).

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah. There are a few in there that I still watch (Crichton Kicks, John Quixote, etc). It's not really until you get to the halfway point with "Unrealized Realities" that it gets back to traditional Farscape form.

Even so, the first half of the season has a lot of subtle stuff going on that you might not realize the first time around.

16. Trubinator

I agree somewhat. I enjoyed a decent number of the first half of season four, but the second half is much better. Even so, the first half could still be considered better than your average sci-fi show.

17. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

aha! thank you. things are starting to make more sense the further i get into season 4... though it is still a bit crazy. i'll post some season 3 thoughts when i get home from work

18. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

I've tried so many times to get people to watch the show, but they just roll their eyes and go, "Meh, I'm not into Muppets."
    Breaks my heart.

19. Trubinator

Ditto. They don't know what they're missing ...

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I usually go, "It has Muppets!" and then my friends get excited and watch it. I have converted many Farscape fans in my day.