ABC lied about LOST's 20 million viewers

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Bad Bishop, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't help noticing ABC's promos for LOST, crowing that 20 million people tuned in for the season premiere. 20 million would be quite a figure for a 5th season premiere. Is it true? A quick search proved otherwise:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2009/01/in-season-5-los.html

So how did ABC come up with 20 million? Perhaps they used some questionable arithmetic. Maybe they came up with 20 million by adding the totals of the three hours of Jan 21.

Suppose...

X would be the total audience for the 8 PM special.
    Y would be the total audience for the 9 PM hour.
    Z would be the total audience for the 10 PM hour.

X + Y + Z = 20 million

Is this how ABC computed 20 million? By counting the same people three times? Those rascals!

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

How many viewers did it lose between the first and second episodes ?

Both episodes were mediocre at best, especially considering Lost typically has a strong opener to every season.

3. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does it factor in DVR and internet stuff? Perhaps therein lies the rub.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

LOST is the most DVR/TIVO show in America from what I've heard and the website viewings were a record high too.

5. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

The season premiere was replayed on Saturday night in my area. Perhaps folks tuned in for that as well?

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I would guess they either added orig airing plus Sat night rerun, or they added the clip show's ratings to the premiere's ratings. Either way, dirty pool.

7. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Repeat viewings shouldn't count but it wouldn't surprise me if they counted that as "viewers for the premiere episode."

8. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Since it is one of the most time-shifted shows they may also be counting season 5 dvd viewings as well.

9. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think "the rub" also includes the huge dead gap from the end of the fourth season to the start of the fifth.

Unlike ye olden days, when most shows aired 24 or so episodes spread out over many months with a summer break and a return in September, the shorter Lost seasons that start in January and air without repeats results in a huge off-season.

People can't keep track of a complicated show like Lost, particularly when they are asked to wait about 9 months between seasons.

Thankfully, even low ratings won't get Lost cancelled.

10. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I blame Benjamin Linus.

11. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All true. My statement was more taking into account how ABC almost doubled the viewership numbers in their 20 Million claim, though.

You're right about the reasons for declining viewership, I think. Also that I don't give a shit because it's ending no matter what on its own terms.

I just wonder what sources they were compiling their numbers from though. For instance, I read over at DarkUFO that there were 2 Million downloads for the premiere on BitTorrent. Probably not something ABC is bragging about, but I think it lends some legitimacy to their claim. More than the stated 11 Million pairs of eyeballs saw Lost last week.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

They definately factored in the DVR views.

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Networks do this all the time.

For example, if episode one and two of a series each got 25 million viewers the promo would say "50 MILLION VIEWERS....."

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  14. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Yeah, how do they know how many people are in my living room watching. :shifty:

15. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

[John Locke] "DON'T TELL US HOW MANY VIEWERS WE CAN COUNT![/John Locke]

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should just say 100 million people watched it! :rommie: I mean, why tell a small lie when a big one will do?