Star Trek: Renegades

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. Talking heads.

2. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Work for these great actors, in any ST univers is beter that what CBS has , execpt for "The Big Bang Theroy"

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I should be in agreement with you... but seeing a 24th century Chekov makes my eleven-year-old self do a back-flip.

Man, I'm a sucker for this shit.

4. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must confess that the trailer peaked my curiosity:),
    but I really would like to read and see more about this.
    The announced cast seems interesting, though little male heavy( I hope we see some strong female leads, too).

I am curious though of why we never see any TNG or more DS9 stars in these "fan films".
    (If this indeed happens post Voyager, would have been good idea to ask Frakes or Sirtis to join the cast, just an idea:cool:..)

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Soon I think we'll see quite a few fan films shot on the bridge of the 24th century Enterprise-D...

http://www.facebook.com/EnterpriseRestoration

6. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of the actors who are harping on these pie-in-the-sky plans to bring back the 24th Century Trek, or playing in Fan Films are people who are not finding a lot of work in other drama these days, or have not established a career in another area of showbiz. I'm looking at you Wang.

Looking at the cast list of TNG, and DS9 particularly, most of the fan favourites are very talented actors who pick up a fair bit of work.

7. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Thank god I'm not the only one!

This may take a while but when done it will be beautiful. Wonder where it'll 'live?'

http://youtu.be/tJHANrzMSlk

I still wanna do this as a full length film, well the first half with a gang of lookalikes then maybe a miniseries of Kirk, Spock, Scotty and possibly holo-McCoy. Hell, we know now there's a Chekov kicking about! Being a 24th Century show Picard, Janeway and I dunno, Kira could all make appearances and forget the 23rd vs 24th Century divide, just with it's premise. Kirk and Spock post-Nemesis, something for everyone. The first half was novelised, I may turn that into a screenplay someday.

The classic characters could all appear the same age as in TUC. They could even be a lead into the 09 movie - introduce Nero as a villain?!

Anyway not to digress, are all the announced actors reprising roles – Is it our Pavel or an ancestor? Could other favourites return? Are CBS backing this in any way?

A lot of people have wanted to do a new Trek series since Enterprise went off the air, so fairplay for being proactive and doing this

Either way I’m mega excited and hope this comes through good. Chekov in the 24th Century uniform, now there’s a surprise, it would be cool to tell a backstory of his life from 0GAM to now, maybe IDW could have it? (if it’s actually Pavel) And Tim Russ in the ears having barely changed. So much room for storytelling – welcome back to the Prime Universe…

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

yes its fair to say there is not alot in the trailers to get excited about, but then this is the start of a project, so its not like those trailers are using actual filmed footage. I didnt like OGAM, but the full cast element was appreciated, this looks like it may have some of that, and also avoid setting it in another time-line, which was something I dont care for in fanfilms.

why Chekov is in this, is of course an interesting question, but what worries me is that the trailers are just not that impressive, certainly not nearly as impressive as the most recent Star Trek Phrase 2 offering, hopefully the finished product is better.

9. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

Whoa welcome back! I know this is off topic, but what happened to your fanfilm? is it going to be released someplace?

they could always contact this person and see if his bridge is available?
    http://subspacecommunique.com/node/499

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Cool! I added that trailer to my preview section about the new film!

11. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

Yep, officially don't like it.. ah well.
    Why is it the majority of fan productions feel it necessary to remove the familiarity from whatever they produce? ie: banding on uniforms, or combadge alterations? I get the same feeling with things like that as I do when I see a wobbly set. :/

Mine was only a university project, took six weeks to build the set and it was up for 2 1/2 days then it had to come down. It was all a bit rushed in the end, and a lot of it still has no effects, redubbing etc. I think I'll build a website for it all to be in one place some day soon. But for now...bring on the cheese...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8UPSknaHZI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5MMa-CLYIA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKKPr03dh4Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2rhB9ZHylQ

12. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just discovered 'Of Gods And Men' - fun stuff - Walter Koenig kept up on his acting skills - Nichols was a little rough at first.....

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Cool set, but you never get back far enough to really see it. Was it buttoned-up (not wild)?

14. Johnny

What do you mean by 'buttoned-up'?
    J.

15. Maurice

Meaning the set didn't have wild walls that could be moved so that the camera could shoot into the set from outside.

16. Johnny

Ah! No it was screwed together top to bottom, front to back. Took some doing getting it apart as well! The studio walls were only half a metre behind the set anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Maurice

Interesting. The way it's shot it looks smaller.

18. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Very reminiscent of the Potemkin's bridge, Johnny. Well done.

What did you guys do about the glare off the consoles and MSD? I'm curious because it's a concern for us as well.

19. Johnny

The consoles were 3mm extruded acrylic with photocopier transparency sellotaped to the back... not exactly art, but they were purely for reference. We used After Effects to create console animations (or in some cases sourced pre-made lcars), and then corner-pined, masked, colour-corrected and re-lit them in post.

It was pretty much hell. I'd get through about 9 frames a day, although I wasn't very good back then! So we never really had to worry about reflections or issues with bouncing light.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  20. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

We tried backlighting the consoles, but it was a miserable failure on camera. Too dim to be seen. So we took the CDR artwork we had and used it directly on the console, either a glossy print (too much reflection) and as a flat PSA vinyl applique which our cast members can reference. Then we took the CorelDraw art, and converted it to a layered PSD (photoshop document) and animated it, saving the animations as AVI. There were only a few of us who worked on this project; it took around two months to create all the AVIs.

Then using After Effects (I think) we mask them into place, angle them, and composite them into the video. Several of the VFX guys and our editor want us to use a green screen of the same size placed over the referenced position on the console. This would make placing the animations easier. The cast and shooting crew are hesitant to go with that approach as they like having a visual cue.

Still, I love the look of your bridge and animations! Well done!