Game of Thrones 3.8 - "Second Sons" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 19, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

38.5%
  2. Above average

53.8%
  3. Average

7.7%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Rate and discuss (with spoilers for the episode, but not for forthcoming episodes) "Second Sons", airing on the 19th May on HBO and on the 20th May on Sky Atlantic.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib9yhHFmVQ&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

2. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

I gave this one an excellent. More changes from the book. Daario not how j pictured and the Sam killing the white walker different too. I guess people are dvring it?

Only 2 episodes.left

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Pick up the blade, you fat moron!!! You've no idea of how much dragonglass costs these days!

4. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voted excellent as well, a welcome return to form after the previous three somewhat dull episodes. Tyrion's wedding was wonderfully awkward, and we FINALLY get to see Sam the Slayer! Yeah, Daario's a little younger than I imagined. Not surprisingly, they left out the flamboyant hair dye. :lol:

http://en.amokanet.ru/gallery/martin/martin_1127.html?popup=1&template=82

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Daario is one of the few characters the dyed hair mightn't have looked silly on and it would have been a nice challenge to see if they could make a guy with blue hair and a forked beard as sexy and charming as the book makes him out to be. Kind of a shame they went with another good looking white guy but he does the job well enough.

Neat scene with the Other. Wedding was awkward and frustrating to watch.

Kind of a slow episode. A pattern this season other than the few real knockouts (among them, I'm sure, will be next week's).

6. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sooo...
    About Emillia Clarke allegedly not willing to do any more nude scenes on GoT...

I guess it was Esme Bianco afterall. ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Another great episode, the highlight being all of Tyrion and Sansa's scenes. I'm very interested to see how that relationship develops.

Also, death to Joffrey. I'm so sick of that little punk. :scream:

That being said, Tyrion's "wooden cock" line was hilarious. :D

I've been wondering for awhile now, why doesn't Diana Rigg's name appear in the opening credits? She has appeared in most of the episodes this season (more than Liam Cunningham and Stephen Dillane) and she's a pretty big name. Seems odd to downgrade her to closing credits.

8. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Yes it was too bad he did not pick up that dragonglass. It would have been really useful in case he meets more White Walkers.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved it, particularly Tyrion and Sansa. Such great acting, a joy to watch. Loved them both in the books too. Dinklage just blows me away, he's everything and more I ever saw Tyrion (my favorite book character).

10. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Wow! Cersei and Marg's scene was so well done. There is the crazy Cersei I know and loathe. Kudos to LH.

The wedding was as awkward on screen as I found it to be in the books. I pitied both Tyrion and Sansa.

The look on Arya's face when Sandor said he was taking her to Cat almost broke my heart. She let her guard down for a second and allowed herself to be happy.

I love that they included the ravens in the white walker scene. It was creepy and amped up the foreboding.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found the Second Sons and Daario (is it?) to be a little over-the-top. They didn't really seem to fit in to the setting. "They wanted to kill you so I took their heads and now I pledge allegiance to you. Woo-hoo-hoo~!"

I'm glad I wasn't the only one yelling at my TV (er, uh, figuratively, of course) at that scene.

12. teacake

Did he leave it behind the books?

13. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the book the blade dissolved after melting the White Walker.

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The moment was much less brave in the books as I recall. Basically an accident. I do think they leave it behind though, because it is in the puddle of melted Other and too cold to touch.

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, in the books the dagger survives (though it is extremely cold to the touch at first), and Sam gives it to Grenn, who is there because in A Storm of Swords the killing of the Other precedes rather than follows the disastrous visit to Craster's Keep. That particular dagger isn't mentioned after Grenn takes it, though in the book there's another one that was given to Mormont and taken by Sam after Mormont's death.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I finally got to see this episode.

Tyrion rocks (as always). Joffrey has just gotta die...preferably in some really disgusting way. That red headed witch creeps me out.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

His own crossbow would be a good way to start.

18. teacake

Yes it was an accident, there was pretty much zero bravery :lol:

19. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I wouldn't say "zero bravery"-- just to take a blind stab requires as much courage as Sam has. But it's an accident that he uses the dragonglass dagger and is able to kill it at all.

20. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Well, hello there fellow GoTers. :) So I voted above average because, while I think this was a great episode (aren't they all?), it didn't wow me. That's not to take anything away from it because it was really great. I loved seeing the wedding, and I love the way Tyrion was with Sansa. I liked the little wordless exchange he and Shae had the morning after. And the conversation Margaery had with Cersei was interesting. Lots of good stuff happening. :)