AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh my god! That is totally new information! :p

2. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Shut up. Don't make me go up to Illinois with my rowdiest friends, have you make us a bunch of drinks and leave you a $5 tip. :p

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't work tonight anyway.

4. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have shot him too but we have to realize these characters are at the beginning of their journey. They are still stuck to the old rules of society.

See the sweat that was coming off him? It wasn't from running. Any tank can get very hot just sitting there in the sun. Stay there too long without water or AC (and thats if the tank has one which I doubt) and he dies.

Rookies. They haven't learned yet what they are truly facing. Give it time.

No. But they will eventually figure out how you become one.
    Everyone on the planet, including them, is infected with the Zombie "virus" and will turn into a Zombie upon death. A Zombie bite doesn't make you a Zombie. It simply kills you. Then you turn into a Zombie. If you have a heart attack you become a Zombie. If you die in your sleep of natural causes? Zombie. If Glenn had crashed that car and died? Zombie Glenn.

The characters don't know that yet but they will figure it out. This is why the Zombies were able to take over so fast. Dead people just started getting up and attacking.

As for what caused the Zombie virus they have not yet explained it in the comics and I don't know if they ever will.

Time. Give it time. They have not yet separated themselves from the old society rules.

Perhaps the intelligence of the Zombie is based on the intelligence of the human. If you were a very smart person you're liable to be a smart Zombie. Smart in terms of doing certain things.

I also think that even though you're a Zombie your brain still holds memories and that can help you in your Zombie goal of hunting down people to eat. You know there are two people in this house and if you turn this knob you can get in the house and eat them. However you don't remember that the people you want to eat are your husband and kid.

I'm waiting to see if they do anything with that one particular Zombie that got off the bus when Rick rode by. The Zombie with the black hair and black suit. When Rick jumped up to close the hatch on the top of the tank that Zombie stood out from the crowd in the way it looked at him. There was somthing there besides thoughts of food. At least IMHO.....

Actually I believe it. People are bound by rules. Even criminals. Most people wouldn't even think of crossing over to the other side.

It's also possible that plenty did and that is why the road is empty as well. I sure as would have gone on that road.

You're not wrong. They are deviating on this point.

I think they did figure out the ladder but they were crowded and the ladder was too high up for a Zombie too pull it's weight up. (The ladder didn't go all the way down to the ground)

The fence was easier to handle. It does go to the ground and it's easier to climb.

5. Zombie

Or cover the windows with table clothes or sheets so the Zombies can't see inside. Eventually they might leave.

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

This character wasn't that type of guy, but with the comics as a roadmap, the show definitely will go there.

All correct. As I recall, in the comics, Lori and Shane had sex one night when both were particularly depressed, rather than the apparent ongoing situation implied by the scene in this episode. Zombies definitely couldn't climb fences
    otherwise the gated community and the prison both would have been abandoned quickly, and the zombies definitely slowed down as winter set in.

It did look like one of them had gotten its hands onto the rungs, but might not have been able to pull up due to the weight of the other zombies around it.

It did? When? ;)

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He just wanted his close-up. That was Charlie Aldred, the penciller of all but the first 6 issues of the series.

8. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

I might be misremembering, but I didn't think the zombie actually got over the fence but sort of made a half-baked attempt to get over the gate, failed, and then the walkers knocked the fence down.

They certainly didn't successfully climb the ladder early in the episode either so I don't get the feeling that the zombies will be able to overcome a fence that isn't easily pulled down by the weight of the crowd.

As for the "affair" between the wife and friend........I really hope that is dealt with and over in an episode as I could sincerely less about a love triangle in the context of an apocalyptic zombie story. I didn't care for them in Lost and I certainly don't think this series will benefit from their use beyond just being an easy crutch for writers to lean on for easy story-telling.

9. PsychoPere

I had looked away from the tv screen for a few moments and when I refocused on it, the fence was down, but I suspect you're remembering correctly.

If the tv series keeps to the comics roadmap, the affair itself (and most of Rick's reactions to it) should be over pretty quickly, though there will be some lingering effects for quite some time.

For those of us who've read the comics, where do you think this season will end, if it ends in similar comics-inspired events?
    I'm thinking it'll end with the zombies attacking the camp and the survivors setting out in Dale's RV. I can't recall, though, was that before or after Rick knew about Herschel's farm?

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I know. But, what I'm really getting at: we're AHEAD of the show. I KNOW they're going there. So I would rather they get there more quickly and THEN start surprising me. Because right now, that's where I am. I'm waiting to be surprised, or shocked by their behavior.

I know people are going to start making awful choices. It's like waiting for the twist that you know is coming. I hate being ahead of shows.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean the one that sort of looks like a Zombie Jim Carrey?

12. Zombie

Oh......I thought it was something important. :lol:

13. Zombie

Oh they definitely climbed the gate before the weight of all the other Zombies knocked it down.

They showed at least three get up to the top and then Rick shot them down, then while they showed Glenn getting the keys to the truck (amazing lucky IMHO to find and then get the right truck) they show Rick shooting several more times. Then as they get in the truck one final Zombie jumps the gate and trys to get Glenn just as he gets in the truck. At this point the gate falls.

Maybe if a Zombie see you do it the Zombie can do it. Or attempt to do it.

Zombie see, Zombie do?

Makes some sense.

You ain't going to have to worry about that. :lol:

14. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the explaination. I always worry when a single zombie gets an extended close up. It's probably from watching too much Romero, but it always seems thats the one zombie who seems to find the secret way in to the survivors and winds up popping up later in the film to threaten a main character (see the Hari Krishna zombie in DotD).

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, they did justify it, but it still came off as a convenient plot device. They should have let it keep raining for a while.

Yeah, I saw the tool-using Zombies as well. And some of them knew how to climb the fence. And some of the looks Rick and Glenn got in the street were really creepy, like the Zombies were really mulling them over.

Okay, that makes perfect sense.

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They left the field, met Tyree, found the gated community, then Hershel's farm. Their pace is a bit slower than I thought it would be. I thought the best place to end season one would have been after they move into the gated community. The camera pans outside and we see the snow fall off the sign revealing the message Do Not Enter All Dead Inside. Then to be continued...

17. Zombie

Yeah the Zombies were thinking: "They look weird even for one of us but they smell like us.....their faces though look too fresh......"

:lol:

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another great episode, filled with ingenuity and gore. :bolian:

The redneck guy was maybe too cliched for me, but overall they're doing great so far. Grant is now my favorite character.

19. Horta Burger

Horta Burger Lieutenant Red Shirt

This show is definitely interesting, if for no other reason than it is very different for TV :rommie:. In terms of effective scenes, what stand out are:

(1) The tank scene at the end of Episode 1. Crawling under the tank seemed hopeless, then the sudden transition to the pristine interior of the tank, the close-in zombie shot, the resulting noise dislocation, then the shot of ant-like zombies around the tank from above. Visually, that was just a very well-done sequence. Very sensory.

(2) The father and son in Episode One, culminating in his inability to shoot the zombie of his wife. It was somewhat cliched but effective.

(3) Yeah, the guts-smearing thing. You just don't expect to see that on TV.

I'm curious whether they can keep this going given the one-dimensional nature of zombies, but it's surprisingly effective so far.

20. PsychoPere

I assume you mean Glenn.