Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A good story is about the story, not the vehicles used to tell a story.

2. Vieux Normand

Vieux Normand Ensign Red Shirt

For such as you, perhaps.

A more direct vision: the vehicles are the story.

3. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

You are EXACTLY right.

Vehicles are not story. That is quite ridiculous. At BEST they are characters.

The Enterprise has never been the story in Star Trek. You may love ships (as I do), but that doesn't make a film.

A film requires a great story, good acting and professionals executing the vision. That could happen on a garbage scow and be compelling.

I just happen to love starships, so the USS Ares is cool. That won't make the movie.

Alec

4. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree. The two are not mutually exclusive. Another production I follow on this forum is Starship Polaris. Principle photography was completed in July, 2011 but their graphic artist continued thinking through the details of how the ship works and refining the design accordingly for months afterward. From what I've seen, the story sounds great, the actors are solid, the production values are excellent, and the ship looks fantastic and is well thought out.

5. Vieux Normand

Ships, their characteristics, the places they go to, the conflicts they engage in, are all one actually needs.

Relatively-small lifeforms, with their puny issues, are fit only for building the ships (until the latter can replicate themselves). After this, they may provide enemy vessels with convenient target practice: a direct score equals a certain number of spaced and/or charred remains.

What else you like in a story is, of course, your preference.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. Loken

I assume you are being sarcastic.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No ... I think we now know what happened to V'Ger.

8. Loken

Interesting watching teh Oscars tonight. My favorite part is always the "In Memorium" section. So tonight when showing Richard Zanuck, the show him saying...

"The most important thing IS the story, not the script but the story."

Nuff said.

Alec

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. Taking Star Trek as an example, it wasn't written to show of the starships. Never the intent of any of the writers and creators involved.
    Now, it might be the part that you liked best, but no, sorry. That's not why or how the show was written. But have fun watching it anyway.

10. Vieux Normand

Now, now.

Who would dare to troll a trekkie fan site thus?

Being the savvy little species that they are, the denizen trekkies would see through the trolling immediately and refuse to feed the troll.

The result, of course, would be a total lack of responses to the troll's posts. Blank screen, as it were...

11. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

Haha, brill! Though I think minutiae in respects to creative mediums like writing becomes very opinion based. Depends how much influence it has on the story. Though I do love a good chat-tet on the old perceived 'pointless'! :D

12. Vieux Normand

Careful there, you might be accused of discussing unimportant matters or some such drivel.

Question: given your opinion of the Galaxy class, what is your take on other ships that follow similar design pattern?

I refer to the Nebula, New Orleans, Cheyenne and Freedom and Challenger class vessels.

In terms of Axanar, I wonder why a two-vertically-arranged-nacelle ship (think Akula or Challenger class) wasn't included in the EarthReich BlitzFleet roster.

After all, if terror is to be maintained, the more means, the better.

13. Loken

Please take any discussion of other ships to the appropriate thread. This thread is about the production of "Axanar".

Alec

14. Vieux Normand

Oh that's right: there are no ships in Axanar.

Garth the nutcase-to-be is zipping around the quadrant on looney-power alone.

Noted.

|//|

15. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

That's the way I do it.

16. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think what he is saying please discuss ships that are not in the Axanar fleet in another thread. (I could be wrong, often I am and I will be told...lol).

17. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Howdy.

This looks like an amazing project, and I'll be waiting eagerly, as will many others I'm sure.

I've a question if I may: you mentioned far earlier in the thread that you weren't using the Kelvin design, because its a pure Abrams thing. Since you are using several designs that are also Abramsverse esque - albeit with TOS Nacelles and other details - would it not be possible to modify the Kelvin design slightly? Stick a new nacelle in, get rid of the window viewscreen and call it a refit? That would be a simplified way of describing how the other ship designs were modified, I'm certain, but could not the same principles be applied? Especially if you don't use the actual USS Kelvin.

Other than that, I look forward to this film. Good luck with it. :-)

18. Loken

A good question. But we just decided not to get too much into the JJverse. The Kelvin was in the treatment but we changed things a bit. More important that Rabau be in the script, now with a new, bigger ship. He is Garth's friend and plays a major role in the Battle of Axanar.

Alec

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  19. topas

topas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's really a great things you guys are attempting to achieve. I sincerely hope you will. Love all of the TR designs and the whole Axanar fleet shall indeed give a nice pre-TOS impression (with monor exception of those slightly post-TNG Klingon designs -> D5, Raptor... fortunately, the D4 and D6 are bridging the gap more than nicely).

Whoever got quarters with a window must consider him-/herself lucky ;)) So few of those, even on the saucer rim. Love the round ones though ;)

As for the uniform sketches; as it's pre-TOS gong for TheCage style and department colours would be the best choice. With all the TOS, classic gold-teal-red based fan productions already around the Cage colour theme would be a nice touch. Personally I favor those much more than the established 66-69 series designs (along with the more 'serious' bridge and overal design, but that's just my two cents)

Keep it up, please, and may the Great Bird bless upon your enterprise ;)

20. Loken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.