New blurbs.... Including a 7 of 9/James Kirk team-up

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Aug 1, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8of5 posted some new blurbs from S&S today, including No Time Like the Past, a TOS book by Greg Cox featuring a team-up of James Kirk & 7of9. Don't believe me? Read it for yourself.
    Usually with something like I would be scared, but with someone with the skill and history of Greg Cox behind it, it has the potential pretty awesome IMO.

We also have one for Christopher L. Bennett''s Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel.
    Cool. I've been curious about Rigel for a while, so it'll be interesting to get a deeper look at the system.

Jeff Mariotte is behind a new TOS movie era followup to "A Private Little War" entitled Serpent in The Garden.
    I'm not sure about this one since Mariotte's last TOS book didn't get to good of a reaction around here.
    He also revealed that DRGIII said in an interview that he is working on a new exploration focused book that isn't TNG, DS9, or VOY, and that features a captain her's written before. Personally, I'm hoping for a new Enterprise-B story with either of it Captains.

EDIT: Oops, turns out this was covered in another thread already. Sorry.

2. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I'm sorry, but as talented as Grex Cox is, the Kirk/7of9 tale sounds silly. My only thought was "Kirk chases a pair of breasts that go beyond any final frontier he's ever encountered"

3. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

What you don't think it could be amusing for Seven to smack Kirk down if he tries anything? ;)
    But I''m going to give Greg Cox a little more credit than that, as I do like his writing and I enjoy time travel stories most of the time.
    Though since it IS Cox, I'm wondering if someone's going to ask if Annika Seven has a connection to Gary Seven... :rofl:

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, just for you, a brief preview:

"Any relation to Gary?"

"Who?"

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I had assumed that it was part of her cover story - possibly picked up on from Kirk misunderstanding her name and where she had appeared from...

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7 of 9 to JTK: "You are small..............."

7. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Seven of Nine idea sounds okay; she would be the only 24th century character who wouldn't think meeting Kirk was a big deal.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If it was anyone other than Cox or Dayton Ward, No Time Like the Past would scare me a bit.

9. Greg Cox

Thanks for the votes of confidence, folks. This is an idea that has been percolating at the back of my brain for a couple years of now. In fact, I almost ended up writing it before The Weight of Worlds, but I eventually decided that, after The Rings of Time, I didn't want to do two time-travel adventures in a row . . . .

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

She fell for Chakotay, what on Earth makes you think she could resist Shatner. Err. Kirk.

11. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

Based on your cool personality here in the forums and my love of your previous books, I'll buy it and give it a chance. Though I'd be lying if I said I could wrap my head around a story with Kirk meeting Seven and take it seriously.

Although it would be nice to read Seven take down the famous Captain Kirk down a peg or two instead of the Kirk worship we get from other characters. Heaven forbid if it had been Harry Kim who was sent back in time to meet Kirk.

12. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Does Seven get to wear one of those 23rd Century miniskirts? :evil:

13. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Just because I wouldn't even know where to look it up, when does that stardate from Seven's starting point work out to be? Are we talking Seven from the series or during the fleet's return to the Delta Quadrant?

I also second the miniskirt question from above.

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first two digits in a 24th Century stardate correspond to a Gregorian calender year. For instance, Star Trek: First Contact's stardate of 50893.5 was in 2373. The second digit increases by one for each year, and the year is divided into 1,000 units that make up those last three digits.

So stardate 53786.1 would be three years after ST:FC -- 2376. And the final three digits mean that it's almost three-quarters of the way through the year. So we're looking at late Season Six of VOY for Seven.

ETA:

Just looked it up on Memory Alpha's VOY Season Six page. It looks like Seven's timeframe is set between "Good Shepherd" (stardate 53753.2) and "Live Fast and Prosper" (stardate 53849.2).

15. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Looks like 2014 is shaping up to be another year where I'll be reading everything!

16. Greg Cox

As I recall, it's after "One Small Step" but before Voyager got back in touch with Starfleet . . . .

17. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I have to admit, I'm interested in seeing what will happen when Kirk meets Seven, a very attractive, stunning young woman. Could be amusing.

18. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

You wrote the entire book just to set up that exchange, am I right? :rofl:

19. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interest in the "Private Little War" follow-up, as well. Seems to me that conflict likely continued at least until, possibly even after, the resolution of the greater conflict (Klingons v. Feds) that spawned it.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A book partially set during the Voyager TV series is cool. Kirk meeting Seven, on the other hand, seems goofy.

I eagerly await the inevitable Rom/Sulu team-up in the sequel.