Big Finish Multi-Doctor 50th Anny Announcement

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish they'd start making announcements like this for the TV series! They don't need to give specifics, but something to whet our appetitve, just like Big Finish has.

Does the fact some classic Doctor's are in the Big Finish production indicate anything about them not appearing in the TV series?

In other words, would the BBC allow this if there were plans for these classic Doctors to appear in the TV show? Or is it completely independent?

Mr Awe

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Written and directed by Nicholas Briggs. Of course it is.

Whatever the TV series has planned in the way of multiple Doctors, I doubt it will center on the classic series Doctors in the way this will, so I don't think it tells us anything either way.

4. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Excited about this! Well ok it being by Nick Briggs dulls the thrill a bit since his recent stuff hasn't been anything great but this is definite special edition purchase for me!

5. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Paging Sindatur. Sindy to the blue courtesy phone ...

Yeah, this will be mine too. I'm wondering what that special edition one is really about ... and if it will be signed by all the Doctors? They've done some pretty great signings in the past.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sounds good. I'm not necessarily interested in the 2 hour long Documentaries (I'd have to know more about them), but, the Companion Chronicles extra sounds cool. Shame, it's not available on the Standard release.

Heh, Omaha's post wasn't up yet, when I opened the thread, he you posted while I was reading the article

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Patience, BBC will announce something when there is something to announce.

This is by no means an indication of BBC's plans for the show. We may still get a multi-Doctor team-up on ths show, we just have to wait and see.

8. Mr Awe

^^ Just an honest question to see if we could make any deductions from the Big Finish announcement.

9. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you click through it's already available for pre-order.

Nothing about signing but a 70 minute doc about the making of the special and another one about the history of Big Finish's Doctor Who range.

10. OmahaStar

I know, five discs. Two are the story, two are the documentaries, and one is a special companion chronicle with William Russel. I'm speculating, might it be signed on top of the Doctors, companions, and other "special guests" they mention?

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It says THE FIRST EIGHT Doctors.

Just pointing that out...

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

"what will we do for *this* anniversary?"
    "Same thing we always do - a multi-Doctor show"

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

13. OmahaStar

They're Pinky, Pinky and the Brain ....

14. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Provided they can come up with a new take on it, or at least an interesting story, why not take advantage of the audio medium and do something that just can't be done on screen now with the same effectiveness? It can also be aimed more squarely at the fans without having to take the casual viewers into account.

The TV series may do something entirely different.

15. Mr Awe

Perhaps, but I still think it's a cool tradition!

I'm looking forward to it.

Mr Awe

16. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

This probably rules out the classic doctors in any potential multi-doctor special. At least anything more than a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo. As I first thought if they decide to bring back previous Doctors it'll be Tennant and maybe Eccleston if he's willing.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, it's not like there's all that many Multiple-Doctor Stories. Having more Multi-Doctor storis is no different IMHO, then having more Dalek or Cybrmen or Master, etc stories. The thing that matters is how good and/or entertaining the story is.

18. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quite right too. To have not done one would be the biggest waste of owning the licence. There's all the other non-anniversary years for other stories.

And I don't suppose everyone will be around for the 60th anyway.

19. Mr Awe

To be honest, that was my worry when I saw all the classic Doctor's that are appearing in the Big Finish production.

I'd like at least one classic Doctor in the TV anniversary special in a meaningful role, darn it! I don't even care which Doctor it is!

Mr Awe

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  20. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup, if Moffat was bringing anybody prior to Tennant (or if his recent softening is indicitive of anything, Eccleston) BF wouldn't have been allowed to do this.

Oh and the new DWM seems to confirm that the 50th celebrations on TV consist of the Anniversary Special and the Gatiss Docudrama and that's all. (Unless you count stuff like 'Celebrity Pointless'.)